The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Does such IT reel exist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CoCoN_16
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of CoCoN_16
Hello

I want to create an effect where something fly in mid air from me to my assistant. It has to be done while busking on the street so no external devices can be used.

I came up with idea that such effect would require 2 spools - as described on schematic in the attachement. Both of them would be held by the assistant. First one would reel in the thread just like tarantula or spider pen and second would reel out the thread BUT at the same time maintaining enough pressure on the thread so the thread would be able to levitate things. In other words spool 2 have to be able to reel in the thread but with the smaller force.

Such sutup wouldn't be easy to make, would be pretty expensive and risky, because this whole idea can fail in real life. Hence the question. Is there anywhere on the market such device?

Or maybe you guys have a better idea for making this effect happen? Like using 2 strings - one static, as a guide, and second one attached to a reel.

Click here to view attached image.
CoCoN_16
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of CoCoN_16
I'm SORRY, I didn't notice that I posted in a wrong forum. It seems I cannot delete my thread so again sorry for the mistake Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22859 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest you do without assistants by using John Kennedy's Power Reel.

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/......oduct=82

CoCoN_16
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of CoCoN_16
That's way too fast for my needs. If you know something which flys things slowly with a magical grace from my hands to assistant's I would buy it straight away.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22859 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have never seen anything fly "slow" it takes 200 mph to get a plane off the ground. It takes speed to keep the plane flying thorough the air, due to the weight of the plane and passengers.

What do you mean by slow. Slow to me means, "float", not fly.

Also what do you mean by assistant? Is he/she "your" assistant or do you mean a spectator that is assisting in a magic effect.

In my opinion, something flying is not all that magical, but if it transported invisibly that is more magical. As in vanish a silk, and the assistant has the silk appear in a balloon he/she is holding. Or vanish a silk and I appears tied to a sash ribbon the assistant is holding. The vanish can be visible or simply gather in the hands.

I do not know any floating silk from one person to another. There are floating silks, but these are one man versions. It would be to complicated a set up for floating to another person. It would take a lot of choreographing the moves of the assistant and yourself, but still in the end, I don't think it would mean much to an audience, as I try to envision your question.

Your question heading does state a reel, all reels are fast, none are slow to my knowledge. Even silks have weight, and that will pull the line down, speed is needed to keep it afloat.

Further information on your part is needed to discuss any further.
CoCoN_16
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of CoCoN_16
Thanks for the reply.

To describe it more precisely, the effect is supposed to look like this:
MY assistant (like a fellow magician) gives me a piece of paper or a tissue - most likely with some strings already attached to it. During my patter I fold it into an origami crane (doable - with prefolded paper it takes 35-50 seconds). I levitate this crane in the air for a moment and then levitate/fly it slowly into hands of my assistant.

I agree with you Bill - flying a silk with that speed looks more like a cool magical gag, that's why I want my crane to fly slowly with all it's magical grace Smile

I can imagine that high speed is necessary to keep a silk flying in the air. But a crane is heavier than a silk and lower speed is essential for this effect. That's why there have to be used a different setup than a single line of thread.
- One option I came up with is using two reels - one would reel in and the second one would reel out the thread while I would hold the middle of the thread (like showed in the attachement of the first post).
- Second idea is one static thread used as a guide to the crane and to hold it in the air. Plus the second thread to make it move to my assistant.
However I don't know if any of these would work outside my head and maybe there are better options I haven't think of - easy to make or available on the market...

About the speed... Well, I think all reels are slow with enough force working against it. For instance floating up a bill with spider pen pro (as seen in the demo*) isn't fast and it is even slower while lifting heavier things (as long as the thread don't break of course). *Here's this demo: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkdYhl9rn-U
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22859 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Maybe you just have to broaden your thinking. As in using 2 pens, one for you and on for your assistant. As mentioned, you will have to work out the moves, but you entro the paper, disconnect and connect the assistants pen at the point they take over.

Say, you start, do some moves, the assistant get close to you, to be more interested, he interacts with the crane and makes it float toward him. You pull back and cause the crane to come back to you. By now the assistants line is transferred to your hand, clothing, etc. At this point you open the paper, and show, remove your line and attach his.

Now with more interaction, you make the crane maneuver a move or two, then the assistant commands the crane to come to him, and floats over to him. He walks off with the crane.

The only other think I can suggest is the Flying Silk Book by Christopher Brent. I do not own it, but remember it from a while back. It might help you with your idea. I never owned it, so cannot recommend if it will help you in the least.

http://www.tricksupply.com/product-p/flyingsil.htm

I will state, that there has not been to my knowledge a floating effect from one person to another in magic that I know about. This is new territory in magic. Most performers do not want to take the attention off them and have the assistant get the final applause or recognition.
CoCoN_16
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of CoCoN_16
Thanks a lot for your help Bill Smile
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
If the assistant has a pulley, which seems to be whats shown in the diagram. Instead of having a large line of thread on the reel, you have a loop. You would have to work at a specific distance from your assistant. A couple wraps around the winding of the reel, and it would pull the paper crane. You select the speed by modifying the reel power so that it goes however fast you want. Then have a switch to reverse polarity, and it could go both ways. You could either build this reel, or modify an existing.

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Does such IT reel exist? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL