The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Quinta By Phill Smith (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
actorcoop
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Just finished reading Quinta, and I am impressed. I laughed, I cried, I spilled my coffee, I burned my house down... First of all, this method is so direct and versatile that it shocks me it isn't already in every mentalist's toolkit. It's like your favorite pair of jeans- goes good with anything yet beautifully utilitarian.

If you read my earlier posts on this thread, you'll know that this is also my first time reading Phill's work! He is not only a masterful innovator- he is also one of the funniest writers I've read in a while. Presentationally this book is beautiful and I'm very glad I bought a physical copy, and there are little design oriented gems throughout the book that don't just look pretty- they help you REMEMBER Quinta as well. The effects included are also greatt, I am vaguely reminded of Maven's Color Series in a couple of them.

Phill, thanks for a beautiful book and an elegantly practical tool for the modern Mentalist!

Cheers,
Cooper
*I knew you were going to read this
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1504 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Hey Quinta lovers of all ages...

For those familiar with Max Maven's color series, the Violet book, you'll find that the effect "French Active" is perfect for using Quinta. Instead of using France (six letters), I use Spain (5 letters). I ordered post cards from Amazon and am having a fun time with this.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1718 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
^ this is genius. We took the Quinta book along with us to Blackpool but struggled with how to demo it because you can kind of do anything, and explaining and communicating that is really hard. We ended up doing Nyceman a few times (and sold it each time), I wish I'd have had Spanish Active to demo alongside it, it's a perfect example of using the Quinta method to reformat an existing effect.

Phill
Get the elegant Amethyst DMC ELITES V5 deck while stocks last (8 bricks left from this run):
-+: https://store.dmcmagic.com/ :+-
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
544 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Hello Mindbender,

Thank you so much for that fantastic advice. I have both and I think you have made my day.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2623 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
May have to get this!
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
With all due respect for Phil, I don't find Quinta to be as great a method as some seem to. It is not particularly clean. I really fail to see how it's superior to a good Equivoque with five objects. The crux of the method is simply this: between one and five there are two even numbers, but we want to hit just one of them, so do this or that process. It's basically that. I don't think I've exposed anything here. These are just the properties of the numbers one to five I'm describing, right? The weakness with Quinta to me is the your target position is fixed whereas with an Equivoque it is flexible, if that makes sense.

I am not saying Quinta sucks by any means. It is a usable method and can work great in the right context. I've used it myself and will likely use it again. What I'm saying is that I think it's a bit too far too say that it is genius or a miracle. I think we throw the term genius around a little too much these days. Quinta IS easy to learn and use, so it has that going for it.

By the way, Phil's books are great, at least the ones I've read (Yokai and Mokele). Highly recommended. It pains me to be critical of a method by someone as cool as Phil. I hope my analysis has not been too harsh and I apologize in advance if it is.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1718 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi Robb, every method has it's drawbacks and if Quinta doesn't resonate with you then that's fine, it's not mandatory (not yet anyway MUHAHAHAHA).

I know for some that the numerical nature of it stops it being totally organic, which I get. The way I present it has always been quite off the cuff and it works best when there is very little pressure on the selection, spectators just see it as being something I do. My presentation of TCP has (almost) always got HUGE responses from the audience, and I've used it a lot in close-up too with little push-back from audiences, I'm very comfortable with it. But that's me, I'm *obviously* comfortable with it because it's mine, and the things that bother you regarding the method don't trouble me so much.

Magic is an art, and the technical methodologies we use to create the material we use to express ourselves can comprise part of the aesthetic of our performance as much as many other features of what we do. Your analysis is fair and I appreciate your balanced candour in communicating how Quinta sits outside your own performing zone.

Phill
Get the elegant Amethyst DMC ELITES V5 deck while stocks last (8 bricks left from this run):
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1504 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Glad you like the applications!

Stating the obvious, but there is a time and place for various techniques. I like using Quinta in this scenario because I present this as an imaginary trip and ask the participant to visualize being at an airport and then calling out various numbers they see --flight numbers, departure gates, lots of possibilities of numbers they would see. The final number total leads them to their destination - Spain.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4114 Posts

Profile of JanForster
And for our German friends: Polen (Poland) - and Oman or Oesterreich, Luxemburg or Litauen, England... and Norway or Netherlands Smile I like your idea! As I see also good applications for Quinta in various contexts. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6641 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, using names of countries, Quinta would work for Italy, China, Chile, Japan, Korea... well, there's a whole list that would work. It's a very easy google search.

As for Quinta, although I haven't done it yet, I have an idea for a kind of Target Number blended with a Dating Game scenario.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, phillsmiff wrote:
Hi Robb, every method has it's drawbacks and if Quinta doesn't resonate with you then that's fine, it's not mandatory (not yet anyway MUHAHAHAHA).

I know for some that the numerical nature of it stops it being totally organic, which I get. The way I present it has always been quite off the cuff and it works best when there is very little pressure on the selection, spectators just see it as being something I do. My presentation of TCP has (almost) always got HUGE responses from the audience, and I've used it a lot in close-up too with little push-back from audiences, I'm very comfortable with it. But that's me, I'm *obviously* comfortable with it because it's mine, and the things that bother you regarding the method don't trouble me so much.

Magic is an art, and the technical methodologies we use to create the material we use to express ourselves can comprise part of the aesthetic of our performance as much as many other features of what we do. Your analysis is fair and I appreciate your balanced candour in communicating how Quinta sits outside your own performing zone.

Phill

Yes, all true. Anything math based usually feels odd for me.
johoyo
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of johoyo
My usual audience of friends and family are just too aware of equivoque, as many are. There is some great work on equivoque, notably for me, Multiplicity, but Quinta is less well known and can seem to offer a wider and freer choice. The fixed point selection is a valid observation, but you can transpose it (!!!!) provided you know your right brain from your left brain.

Friends and family always ask the difficult questions "Will we use the one I choose?". When using Quinta a common response is "Any number? One hundred and thirty two?". Replying "Yes that's fine if you don't mind a lot of counting" seems so fair.

The Quinta book is thorough, extensive and beautifully designed, with the design incorporating useful features. One of my best buys.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1718 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I'd never thought of that 'challenge' aspect of the number selection, that's pretty cool. I think sometimes when you have part of a routine that is *so* free it's very tempting to put all the heat there and I know that for people I've performed Quinta for before they focus quite intently on *that* part of the method, which is funny because there's nothing there.

Phill
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
I just have to chime in here... I love Quinta. I have nothing bad to say about it. The method is versatile and the routines in the book are solid and inspirational!

Thanks for the release, Phill!

~Dave
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1718 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
<3 Thanks Dave!

Phill
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Did the concepts can use in any languange?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3499 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yes it can be done in any language
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Oh ok, thanks for the information Last Laugh. it will be my next to buy list.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1718 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Just to confirm Quinta is language independent. I'm clearing my Blackpool stock at the moment so the three copies I have here are half price, check it out on the site:

http://www.miscellaneousmiracles.co.uk

Phill
wilko7
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of wilko7
Been thinking of picking this up for a while. This was too tempting to pass up on this time. Order placed Phill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Quinta By Phill Smith (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL