The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wiz Kote Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Okay, bare with me. I'm new here so, first off: Hello EVERYONE! I need some guidance from those that know the Wiz Kote by Chalet Magic.
(Thttp://www.chaletmagic.com) They are building this little prop for me as we speak. I saw David C. perform his version many years ago but cannot remember the restoration part. In short, the effect is where the Magi. takes a kids tennis shoe (or an adults watch or wallet) and places it into the Wiz Kote Machine to clean it...well, smoke billows out the machine along with some serious noises and flashing lights. In a panic the Magi. pulls-up on the top of the machine and all the sides fall down (ah-la blammo style) and when the smoke clears there is a burnt shoe setting there. I need to restore the shoe but that is where the trick ends. It is up to the Magi. to "use his favorite method" to restore it. I DON'T HAVE A FAVORITE METHOD....yet! HELP! any suggestions? I work a solo act so, assitant help is out of the question. When I "go south" with the top of the Machine (and shoe) I have less than a second or so to do "the work". Someone suggested puting the burnt shoe into a paper bag. Blow it up and pop it! Leaving a completly restored shoe in hand. Just one small question: How do I accomplish something like that? I have over thirty years experience in performing so, it won't take too long to come up with something for this wonderful effect but I wanted to throw it out to you all to see what you might think. By the way, great site, I plan to contribute a lot.
Got any suggestion for this wonderful effect? Oh, you can view it at: http://www.chaletmagic.com
Magically,
KW
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Most use the Nest of Boxes for a restoration. But any production method would do. I.e. from a silk, from a mirror box, etc.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Hello Ricker and thanks for the reply but here is my problem: I have to get rid of the burnt shoe (or wallet/watch) thus using my Viking nest of boxes will work but the audience will see me idnore the burnt shoe thus wont believe that it was damaged in the first place. Get my drift? I need a method that will allow me to pick up the burnt item and then magically change it into there good shoe. If I offer the so called "consolation prize" ( via the nest of boxes with the good shoe or wallet or watch), then they will know that the burnt shoe was not really there shoe. Does that make good magic?...I think not. Help me will you with a method to transform the burnt item back into the manner that it was in the beginning...the real shoe. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep on line to hear from you again or anyone else that might have an idea.
Magically,
KW
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
250 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Ken,

I have a wiz kote and I also have the bonus that George (Chalet) makes, I call it the kote plus but I think George calls it something else. Ask him about it...it's designed to reproduce the kid's shoe and works great. I would recommend an assistant to help you with this act. Also, I will tell you this you DON'T have to vanish the burnt shoe, no one will notice this. The kid will be more interested in getting his shoe back to notice and the audience will be too busy laughing and waiting to see you reproduce the shoe. You'll love this mini illusion as I have. Also contact Steve Hart. He post here regularly and also by the way invented the wiz kote. Really nice and will help you a lot.

Best of luck

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Why not use a large version of The Devil's Hank to vanish the shoe? Put the shoe in the Devils Hank, make the kid say some magic words to restore it and poof, it's gone.

Then you can do some play with the kid until he gets his shoe back in the Nest of Boxes.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Thanks again Ricker. I'll keep that in mind.
KW
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I have the flip-over treasure chest in the back of a night club style table I made. The moment they see the sneaker their attention and shock is focused. (Great misdirection time.) I place the lid in the back of the table, comment about the shoe and it's still smoking, So I get a can of computer keyboard air spray with red conctruction paper aound it. (Mention it's a fire extinguisher) As I get this extinguisher, I grab the shoe and put it into the treasure chest. I grab the treaure chest and place it on a second table. Now all is set and I go with the flow of humor, offer a Barbie roller skate, then a tiny sneaker, then a large sneaker, then he magically produces his sneaker from the treasure chest. I have done this with placing the sneaker in the treasure chest and also done it without. It really doesn't matter. Everyone is relieved his sneaker never burned.

Obviously it never burned in the first place. It is the presentation and the conclusion that sells the effect.

I have been in contact with Chance Wolf and Steve Hart has given him permission to redesign the Wiz-Kote in Wacky Wolf's style. Also, I asked Chance to consider a production box for reproducing the sneaker from a Paul Osborne plan. (The box can be used for many production things) The magic society, I believe, will like these products if Chance gets them off the drawing board.
Dennis Michael
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I have been talking to Chance about the Wiz Kote too. Trust me, his will be worth waiting for. As you would expect it's totally wacked out. I will be in line when that product hits the shelves.

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
I'm sure that the new version by "chance" will be a hugh success when it is released. I already placed my order and paid in full with Chalet so, for me, that will do for a Wiz Kote effect for sometime to come. I already have a few ideas for presenting it thanks to everyone here on line. Thanks so much everyone for your insight and suggestions on the performance part. Just excited to get mine as it is due to arrive via UPS any day now. Any last suggestions from anyonelse?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Please note, there is nothing wrong with the Chalet Wiz-Kote machine. It plays very well, I just think it is exciting that Chance is redesigning this wonderful effect. I doubt I'll sell mine Wiz-Kote.

There are three dials on the front of the Chalet Wiz-Kote. One sanatizes, one deodorizes, one sterilizes. The child adjust the buttons to how clean he wants his sneaker, how pretty smelling he wants it, and to the kill the many germs that may be on it or something he may have stepped into!

It works just like a microwave, it never fails, well, most of the time it works.

A litte flash cotton, sprinkled with the flash powder burns clean, lasts longer, and produces sufficient smoke without that powder residue. (Tip passed on to me.) Always have a set of spare batteries.

To get the sneaker off the kid, I use a TT with the rabbit hat and the small rabbit silk in the TT. I produce the rabbit silk and vanish it. Where did it go? It's in his sneaker....(Stinky sneaker bit then place it on top to the Wiz-Kote.) I stick my thumb in the top of his sock and pull out the rabbit silk. I thank him for helping me find my rabbit. As I am about to give him back his sneaker, the transition to the Wiz-Kote has been made.
Dennis Michael
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I hope that I didn't lead you to believe that the Chalet model was not good. I am sure that it is. I have just heard what Chance plans on doing to it and it will be a really nice piece.

Chalet does awesome work. I just placed a post in the reviews section of a spot card they did for me, it rocks!

Keith
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
We've had some ideas here about the vanishing the burned show, and even about the reappearance (the recovery chest that Chalet sells is a GREAT item, byt he way).

But, before you can make it reappear, you have to remove it from the Wiz-Kote machine. How to you get the kid's shoe out of the Wik-Kote without being seen? It's easy if you have an assistant, but how do you guys do it while working alone?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Read my post above. I place the lid in the back of the nightclub table. The lid pops open. The next time I go back (after a short bit of business about the sneaker still smoking) I look for my fire extinguisher. The Real Sneaker is placed in the treasure chest... I move the chest to a nearby table and grab the extinguisher. I spray the air on the shoe (Pretend to put the fire out) and continue with the routine.
Dennis Michael
almagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of almagic
So when is Chance's wiz-kote coming out?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ken,

Do you remember the old newspaper tear-apart vanish? It is a great way to ditch the bad news and have the restored item of that size reappear. You can make it yourself and make it match your routine theme.

Personally, I disliked the black mess from newspaper ink all over everything, so I had a bag made to match the colored wrapping tissue paper I could get at WalMart and painted the frame silver and added glitter. You will have a lot of choices. You can take a plastic file folder and make a stencil from the markings on the Wiz-Kote. Then you just stencil the design onto the tissue paper sides of the box with spray flat black or white paint to make it look like they just might be related.

In the workings, vanish the mistake and discover the beginning property. Take a bow.

Good Luck!

You have some very nice equipment (your Wiz-Kote) on the way. It is a good investment for a working magician.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I'm not sure on the ETA of the Wolf's version. Hopefully soon. When I talked to him about it, it was still on the drawing board. He's a busy guy so who knows.

Keith
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
I bought a used Wiz Kote from a local pro, and he gave me full rights to his finale, so I share it with you. He came up with a great presentation that is both logical and continues the comedy. While it is not as magical as vanishing the charred shoe, it makes more sense to me.

He collected a large box of old footwear. Everything from combat boots to Teletubby slippers.

After the Wiz Kote routine, you use barbeque tongs to pick up the smoldering shoe, and really ham it up with the kid. Put it on the floor and invite him to put it back on. "No?" Okay, so open a trash bag, use the tongs to pick up the shoe, and throw it away. (It is a burned up shoe, after all.)

So, you don't "vanish" the burned shoe, restore it while it's gone, and have it appear in an impossible location. Instead, you continue by stating "I was afraid this might happen. I brought along a box of used shoes from my basement, and if you like one, you can keep it."

You then have lots of fun with the kid, going through the absurd shoes.

Of course, his shoe was pulled from the top chamber and added to the bottom of the box of shoes before you start digging through, so you can eventually find something that looks "close enough."

Like I said, there is more comedy potential with this approach, and it plays very very well, especially if (and when) the kid really scrutinizes his own shoe before deciding to accept it.

Feel free to give it a try.

--- Guy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I can only image this approach and it visually (in my mind's eye) appears to have great potential to play big. The exchange will have been lost in the initial shock of the shoe burning, and the comedy by-play is awesome!
Dennis Michael
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
960 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
A dove to silk banner is great for the
reappearance of the boys' shoe.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey folks,
I do plan on releasing a LIMITED EDITION of the "Wacky Wiz-Kote Machine" however I still have to pass Steve Hart's approval on the prop. I can assure you it will be beyond anything you can imagine. This is an effect where I can go real crazy as the plot and basic premise is so cool in the first place.
I have a great deal of respect for George at Chalet so I decided to keep it limited to avoid swiping too many of his sales.
It will be awhile before it is released since my plate is so full already. I would guess sometime late Summer maybe into the Fall.
Thanks for the interest guys!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wiz Kote Help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL