The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jurassic World, anyone? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2901 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Anyone else see Jurassic World yet? Any thoughts?

We went to see it at the IMAX yesterday. The computer graphics were awesome, of course, but the story didn't do all that much for me. That bigmotherasaurus (the hybrid) was something else - when it roared at you, you could almost see down its throat. A bit of Smell-a-Vision and the illusion would have been perfect. Maybe overwhelmingly perfect.

BTW, Universal put together a web site designed like the place were a real theme park: www.jurassicworld.com.

Oh, BTW: spoiler: the butler did it.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
It was good, I liked it.

I thought the storyline was okay.

It is Jurassic Park on steroids imho... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4058 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I was a bit worried that plot/writing would suffer in this film (haven't seen it yet, though).

My family watched "Jurassic Park" a few weeks ago when it was broadcast as a kind of an advertisement for "Jurassic World," and some of the lines in THAT movie had me rolling my eyes. That, btw, was the only movie I came out of with bruises on my arm. From my wife. When the TRex was running after the jeep (?) in its first appearance in the flick, that's when it happened.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
If this were to happen, would we accept something like live dinosaurs so readily? And do you think the world would allow them to be put on display as in the movies?

Sadly, I think the answer to both questions is "Yes". Here is an excerpt from an episode of The Twilight Zone, "To Serve Man":

That's the odd thing. The fantastic ease with which human beings make adjustments. One day they watch with bated breath while a single person orbits around the world in a rinky-dink cubicle and they think of this as the most historic moment in the history of mankind. One year later they stand in line waiting to get into a space ship to take them a hundred million miles away in space and they act and react as if it were
a weekend picnic in the country. The strange and complex sanity of man. Nothing fazes them.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2901 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've done a fair amount of work in theme parks, and one of the things that was going thru my head during the movie was that the park would need one heckuva lot of insurance and one heckuva big legal team. One bite by a dino and the ambulance chasers would leave the velociraptors in the dust.

Hmmm... I wonder if FOX News would want to have a full-time correspondent at the park? Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4058 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ok, I just got back from seeing it.

Yes, there is lots of stupid to be found here - intentional and unintentional - some real eye-rollers and head-shakers, but the payoff of the last 20 minutes or so was worth it...and the finale...didn't see that coming!

Didn't recognize Vincent D'Onofrio from "Law and Order"!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
It has a Godzilla feel to it imho... Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2015, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Has Vincent D'Onofrio gotten that big?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2015, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Has Vincent D'Onofrio gotten that big?

That's not nice... Smile
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
My son was two when we purchased a VHS tape of the original Jurassic Park. He was having a great time until the part where the Tyrannosaur went wild. At that point, his eyes went big as saucers and he hid behind the green chair in our TV room. I thought it was quite interesting, because he had absolutely no idea what a dinosaur was before watching that movie. But apparently, there is an innate and hardwired fear of large predators with sharp teeth that needs no explanation or coaching from parents.

Of course, once he realized that it was just a movie, he watched it 27 times in a row.

Looking forward to seeing the new one with him, now that he is a small adult with hairy legs.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2901 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Here's our Maine Coon, Rocky, auditioning for the next movie. He wants to play Rockysaurus Rex.

www.georgefledo.net

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
What do you say when you're hiding from a Trex?

Doyouthinkhesawus Rex
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Saw it today in Imax 3D. After all the reviews I'd read I wasn't expecting much in ways of the story line or the acting, be to me "Jurassic Anything" = Dinosaurs and in that respect it delivered. Dinosaurs on land, dinosaurs in the water and dinosaurs in the air. All with sharp teeth and a monstrous appetite! All things considered, nice addition to the franchise.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2015, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Saw it today in Imax 3D. After all the reviews I'd read I wasn't expecting much in ways of the story line or the acting, be to me "Jurassic Anything" = Dinosaurs and in that respect it delivered. Dinosaurs on land, dinosaurs in the water and dinosaurs in the air. All with sharp teeth and a monstrous appetite! All things considered, nice addition to the franchise.

A great review. It seems that they accomplished their goal and put out entertainment. That is all that is asked. With that in mind I will make it a point to see it.

Thanks
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I found it better than 2 and 3 but too similar to 1. So, just OK for me. Fun but not great.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is nothing but the original movie with better tech to make it.

Expect Jurassic Universe to be released in about a decade.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is nothing but the original movie with better tech to make it.

Expect Jurassic Universe to be released in about a decade.

You obviously know nothing about marketing.

If you make Jurassic Universe, you're done.

You need to make at least Jurassic Solar System, then Jurassic Galaxy, then Jurassic Universe. That's three more installments in the franchise, not just one.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My ignorance shines through once again LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I chalk it up to stress over the imminent opening of the new show.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OH please. My ignorance long predates that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jurassic World, anyone? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL