The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Empathy Book Test by Ed Stein??? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of The Russian Mentalist
Has anyone seen or reviewed Empathy book test by Ed Stein???

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/empath......edition/
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
422 Posts

Profile of minty
I wonder if it's the same as the Grandfather of all Booktests?
The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Good thought minty. Mind Guerrilla pointed that out to me as well. So then, what can people tell me about The Grandmother of All Booktests? I am not asking for the method, I am just trying to get a sense of the parameters and restrictions. I.e. Can the volunteer literally turn to any page, choose a word, and you can then divine it? This is the impression that I get from the description. Thank you!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2399 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have never had the Grandmother of all Book Tests but was very interested when it came out. With the Grandmother, you get a Sherlock Holmes book and you describe a visual item being thought of eg a necktie, dagger or whatever.
dj
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2015, Can the volunteer literally turn to any page, choose a word, and you can then divine it? This is the impression that I get from the description. Thank you!

Yes. The volunter can turn to any page, chose a word and you can divine it.
That's true.
The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Thank you for the insight NeilS. So is a visual object part of the parameters? I.e. Do you say to your volunteer, "Look for an object in the paragraph that you can visualize."
The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Dj do you own The Grandmother of All Booktests?
dj
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2015, The Russian Mentalist wrote:
Dj do you own The Grandmother of All Booktests?

Yes, I own Grandmother of all Book Tests.

dj
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Edward Stein did the booktest to me, the german version, but I guess it´s the same principle.
I think that is the closest to real mindreading you can get with a booktest.
By the way, all his material is top notch!!!

kiki
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1710 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Kiki (and others):

It is clear, from the effect's description on the Stevens website, that Empathy involves an innovative way to discover and reveal a spectator's chosen word from the book. If the spectator's experience includes more than just the chosen and revealed word, I did not pick that up from a single reading of the description. So two questions come to mind:

1. Is there more to it than a single word reveal? If so, what else are the spectator and audience likely to experience?

2. Why is it called the "empathy" book test? This title suggests something like a socio-emotional rapport between the performer and spectator that the description does not feature.

George
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
It´s a revelation of a word like other booktests, but you don´t fish for letters, what makes it stronger, I find.
I have seen it live 2 times and it´s as straight as it can be. But it´s just a relevation of one word, if you can live with that.
I can´t imagine a better way of revealing a word from a book, if just the principle of the book is used.

kiki
The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

KiKi & dj, what are the parameters of getting the spectator to choose the word?

I can't imagine that you can have them just choose any random word on the page.

I own and use a number of book tests including MOABT, so I am not looking for the method. I just want to know the parameters of the choice of the word so I know if I am comfortable with the subtlety of the word choice, before I spend $205.00.

Thanks!
The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Typo: I meant $250.00
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Pm´ed you!
The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Thanks Kiki!
Giannim
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Giannim
Kiki,
Could you please PM me the same info that the Russian Mentalist asked you (I just want to know the parameters of the choice of the word to understand if I am comfortable with the subtlety of the word choice before to spend $250) ? Thanks, Gianni
Giannim
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Giannim
Kiki,
Thanks for your help - Gianni
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
You´re welcome! Smile
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Any more feedback on this? I'm thinking of getting it. Thanks
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
79 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
Does anyone here who has the GMOABT have any idea where one might be able to locate English versions of the series? My searching efforts have only yielded the German versions.

Feel free to PM if more appropriate.

Thanks,

Elliot
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Empathy Book Test by Ed Stein??? (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL