The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Trick Storage (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
For years now I have used pencil cases to store my individual tricks. It's a great way of keeping everything together. I use a black marker to write the name of the routine on the outside of the case. Today while in Walmart I found a great pencil case with a clear plastic window. Now I can visually see what's inside. They are selling for .97 cents a piece. Maybe someone here will find them helpful as well.

John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22892 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
.97 x 1,000 = $970.00 a tad expensive, and will take up a lot or room.

I still believe re-sealable plastic bags is an excellent choice.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
These are for performance pieces and not just for all the junk one has lying around. Thought it might be useful to some. If not Bill, carry one with your plastic sacks.

John
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Pencil cases are great for keeping things together. For my children's shows I have three of them velcroed inside my case. It makes finding things a lot easier. You can even find some cases made out of foam or other soft material to cushion some props.

Along the same line, you can find laptop and tablet cases at most dollar stores. They also make great cases for slightly larger props.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Yes the big foam ones from Dollarama are great for storing props.

John
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
That's a good tip you could fasten multiple together with those circular binding clips.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I guess "Billy", "Bill", and "Dick" (McComb, Hegbli, and Oslund) are "stuck" in the "ZipLoc" bags!!! (LOL!)

But, seriously folks! John found a neat way to "store stuff", and, shared it with everybody. Thanks John!

If I remember, Harry Blackstone (pere) trouped the "Dream of Princess Karnak" in SEVEN crates (all painted orange, of course!). It took me a couple years to find the "right" oversize attache for "Disecto". After innumerable catalog searches, and attempts at "home made" cases, I found one, "like new", for less that five bucks in a thrift shop! It has served well for the prop, its table, and some carrots.

Karrell Fox and I, like Don Quixote, were on a continual quest, for the "perfect prop case". Our criteria were fairly strict. We each found "it" eventually!

If I interpreted John's "contribution" correctly, he uses his pencil cases, to store small props/gimmicks, not used "every day" on the road. His system works! It keeps "stuff" organized and easy to locate. (a "trick" that I learned in the Boy Scouts, eons ago!)

Probably, the most important "thing" is to HAVE a system, --and USE it!

Now, I hafta go find my "bean shooter"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TXKEVIN
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TXKEVIN
Someone gave me a good tip. Always keep the instructions with the effect!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That was "Mr. Well organized" (Bill Hegbli) and it's a good system,

I have too many SMALL PROPS (mostly GENERIC "THINGS" however, like rope, silks, balls, coins, etc., so I have a small case labelled "INSTRUCTIONS FOR WORKING ACT PROPS". Off the road, it's stored WITH the #1 "ACT PROPS", (A 13" X 20" X 8" CASE)and, another case with "spares". On the road, it travels on the shelf in the motor home, next to the act prop case.

On the road, there is no room in the prop case for instruction sheets! Each prop travels in its own "pigeon hole". Props are taken from the pigeon holes as needed, and returned after.
Gerry The Great
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Gerry The Great
Ok I'm getting some pencil cases today, great tip. I also work out of a suitcase type box that Ive placed my whole show in and it goes around the suitcase in order. I cut the foam that was already in this case out to hold each trick in a fair working order of how I do them in my show. Then I used spray glue and nice red and green felt to accent the inside of the box. I turned out great. I love when the little guys come up to help me do a trick and sneak a peek at all the props organized in there! I know this is storage head more than a case but hope it helps
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad! Gerry!

You must do a "high class" act!!!

I just use empty "butter" cartons, "Efferdent" boxes, and a small cigar box with a lid (for the balls, and dye tube +silks for the dye tube)Most of my props are generic (rope, silks, cards, balls, etc.). Otherwise, it's the rings (in a drawstring bag) egg bag, wand(s), brakawa fan, serpentine silk etc.

My old friend, the late George Johnstone, glanced at my open prop case, and laughed: "LOOKS LIKE A YARD SALE, WAITING TO HAPPEN!"
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
For most of my storage I use either small plastic boxes (pencil cases, maybe?) or ziploc bags of various sizes. Then the items are stored in 'bankers boxes'. I use them for all kinds of storage. They stack wonderfully, have lids & handles, and won't get too heavy - even if all books or DVD's. The tricks I am currently using (or just playing with) are either in my close-up case (metal, from Harbor Freight) or on the plastic shelf on my 'magic table'. The boxes stack under the table... if you get too many they also stack well in the closet ha ha... but I am not there yet.

This pic is from when we were moving into our apartment, I made sure my wife knew the 2nd 'bedroom' was not a guest room, but my room. Smile It is not all setup but you can kind of get the idea. Ok... I give up... no picture.... :p
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Trick Storage (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL