The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doc Shiels biography (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Looks interesting and pretty reasonably priced, just looking for some opinions if anyone has it.

The title of the book is "Monstermind: The Magical Life and Art of Tony 'Doc' Shiels" by Rupert White
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
I'm curious about this too. His Martin Breese tape where he talks about his life & the bizarre is brilliant. This could be good.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Although I have not yet read it, sounds like it will go perfectly right next to "Unspeakable Acts" by Jim Magus. Smile

Thank you for sharing Dr. Van Van Mojo!!
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
It's inexpensive and it's Doc Shiels. I'll post a review when it arrives.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, Nyama Possessor wrote:
Although I have not yet read it, sounds like it will go perfectly right next to "Unspeakable Acts" by Jim Magus. Smile

Thank you for sharing Dr. Van Van Mojo!!

No problem. Unspeakable Acts was great, I'm hoping this will be as well.

Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, reese wrote:
It's inexpensive and it's Doc Shiels. I'll post a review when it arrives.

Cool, thanks!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
The book is 157 pages, perfect bound with a whopping 184 illustrations in color & b.w; which add greatly to the story of Tony "Doc" Shiels": Artist (the illustrations of his art are one of the highlights of this book) play- write, raiser-of-monsters, trailblazer of Bizarre Magic, Surrealchemist, charlatan, Wizard of the West & much more. The book has many quotes & stories from Tony Shiel's compatriots, friends & family. And of course, Tony Shiels himself, from his writings, projects & press and personal correspondence conducted by the author in 2014... ( Beware! I began reading the book and could not put it down until I finished it. This is likely to happen to you. ) I give this book my highest recommendation. My hat off to Dr. Van Van Mojo for starting this thread alerting me to it's existence. Thank you sir!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
I also wish to note that the author was traveling when I first placed my order & quickly sent me an email saying when he'd be back. The book took 8 days to get from Cornwall to the S.F. Bay Area. Order with confidence.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Thanks for the review, sounds great! Guess I'll be ordering mine soon.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
If you do, you are certain of an enjoyable read.
Lou Is
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Lou Is
Doc Shiels deserves recognition. Without that crazy hippy, there'd be no Bizarre Magick.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
Doc Shiels predates the hippie era, beginning his pataphysical work during the beatnik era continuing on through the hippie era, galumphing into the post-gnostic-slapstick era. And beyond. He is a trailblazer in any epoch. Worthy of our heartfelt recognition. I raise a full upside-down glass in a toast.. "To Doc Shiels! Urmmm... My feet are suddenly standing in a puddle. I hope that's not what I think it is. Yes, it is. An empty glass. Bartender!"
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Is this book still available? Last time I checked the original site I found it on, it was gone? Anyone have a direct link to purchase the this historical tome?

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
I got a signed copy direct from the author, most likely from the site where it's now unavailable. I believe the hellspawn/amazon may have copies. Otherwise p.m me for a more direct route.
Xaa
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Xaa
The book is still readily available on eBay from the author who will send it along signed. My copy arrived over the weekend and the shipping from the UK was only a week and change.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein, What I Believe (1930)
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Thank you Reese and Xaa,

My mistake... I had an old link to the book that had already ended (the selling time expired on a certain auction site). Just ran a search and found another one at the same location, I guess after 30 days or so they have to renew the product listing (thus nullifying the old link)?

Thanks again for y'all help.

Peace.

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Didn't Doc play this FOR REAL? Taking photo's of his daughter dancing naked in the forest ... Stuff like that?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Skeleton
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
254 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Really a must-have book, even though to my taste the focus was a little bit too much on his artist-side...
To infinity, and beyond!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Didn't Doc play this FOR REAL? Taking photo's of his daughter dancing naked in the forest ... Stuff like that?

Yes...but it seemed an artistic attempt rather than a salacious event.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4291 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I'm interested in seeing how this compares to "Monstrum," his pseudo-autobiography.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2015, Eddie Garland wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, Slim King wrote:

Yes...but it seemed an artistic attempt rather than a salacious event.

I totally agree. I just wonder how Doc would have been treated on the Café, never backing down and maintaining the authenticity of his research... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doc Shiels biography (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL