The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » What Are You Willing to Pay for a Deck? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
What are you willing to pay for a deck of playing cards?

We all have our "internal" price-point for a deck. For me, anything above $10, I have to seriously think it over. I like to get two, one to use and one to keep.

Now a different question: what is the most you _have_ in fact spent on a deck of playing cards? Very different question indeed!

Was it worth it?

Me: I got a brand new/unsealed deck of vintage Vargas pin-up playing cards on ebay, free shipping. $75. No on else bid on it.

Definitely pleased.
xevenofhearts
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of xevenofhearts
1) I don't want to spend any more than $10-15 ($15 is really stretching it), because I usually get multiple, like you said.

2) I've spent $10 on Art of Play buying Polaris Solar/Eclipse's. They're really awesome, but really, everything of Art of Play is expensive. I spend about $50 on cards at a time, but not very often, maybe every 4-6 months, and for that $50, I want to get about 6 decks; and when decks are $8+, then add shipping, things get expensive.
Banedon
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Banedon
It depends on the context of the deck. If you are talking about a really well constructed normal deck of playing cards that is fancy in some way - presented as a collectible. $10 - $12.

If you are talking about a special purpose deck - like a gaff deck. $5 - $30 depending on the quality, crafstmanship, purposing, etc. The more quality and more options the higher I would reach that threshold.

Vintage - assuming my finances were in order - I have no idea. There are too many factors to consider to answer that question and think I am being honest with myself.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
Thanks for the feedback. I think we are all on the same page.

xevenofhearts: I like the Vanda cards also and got several, then got several more.

However, on reflection I have determined that on any deck I use I want the Hearts and Diamonds to be red, Spades & Clubs black always, lest the spectator get confused. So retrospectively I like them a little less. But the quality, feel, finish, and design are great otherwise.

Banedon: Good point. One never knows how much one is willing to pay for a collectable until one is confronted with it.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I paid $150 for a sealed Jerry's Nugget deck. Of course I would never use it.

For working decks, I would say $8 max, though for some decks I'd only rarely use, I could see me using decks up to $20.
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, DelMagic wrote:

Money well spent.
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
$15 for a really nice looking deck (must have red and black pips) and $30 for a gaff deck.
Sentoki
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Sentoki
I'm willing to pay around 10 €+Shipping, but don't really like to buy cards online since I had been in a magic store.

The most expensive deck I eher bought was the Bicycle One Million(I love this deck),I really had to think about this 20 €.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
$2.50, in bricks. That's the short answer. And despite my name, I do not insist on RiderBacks. =)

But on rare occasions, I will spend up to $10. Such decks see very, very, very rare use. If I want to use a fancy deck, I prefer slightly used versions of fancy decks which can be obtained for less than $1/deck. For example, I have several slightly used UV500 Air-Flow Finish Ghost Decks I purchased for $0.60 apiece. They still fan just fine. I have dozens of these sorts of fancy used decks, though I rarely pull them out.

As I see things, fancy decks are primarily for cardists (or the very wealthy). My decks get heavy use. I don't want to wear out nice decks. And I want to perform with the decks I'm practicing with. Finally, I don't want anyone to suspect I'm using a trick deck. Using a normal deck minimizes suspicion here. If using gaffed cards (where everybody knows you're using a trick deck), I'll opt for a fancy deck (generally the Ghosts).
slowdini
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of slowdini
Im pretty sure I'll get tarred and feathered for this but here is a perfect oppertunity for me to point something out:
Long story short- I took a cheap deck of PlayRight playing cards from Walgreens, and compared it to a deck of high end, boutique playing cards from one of the popular card/magic sellers. Both decks are made by USPlaying card company.
I used a large magnifying glass to look at a card from each deck. I felt their slipperyness, flexability and stiffness. I blind folded my self and asked my son to hand me one of each.
Results: I'm not a scientist folks but these cards are the same stock, wieght, and stiffness.
The aircushion finish is exactly the same.
Blindfolded, I could not tell which was which.
Conclusion: The artwork on boutique cards may be nice but that's all youre paying for.
Suggestion: go to walgreens, stock up on some PlayRights and learn to fall in love with the back design.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2015, slowdini wrote:
Im pretty sure I'll get tarred and feathered for this but here is a perfect oppertunity for me to point something out:
Long story short- I took a cheap deck of PlayRight playing cards from Walgreens, and compared it to a deck of high end, boutique playing cards from one of the popular card/magic sellers. Both decks are made by USPlaying card company.
I used a large magnifying glass to look at a card from each deck. I felt their slipperyness, flexability and stiffness. I blind folded my self and asked my son to hand me one of each.
Results: I'm not a scientist folks but these cards are the same stock, wieght, and stiffness.
The aircushion finish is exactly the same.
Blindfolded, I could not tell which was which.
Conclusion: The artwork on boutique cards may be nice but that's all youre paying for.
Suggestion: go to walgreens, stock up on some PlayRights and learn to fall in love with the back design.

Well, I'm not familiar with PlayRight's. But there is *a lot* of variance in playing cards, which variance you seem to be downplaying. A lot goes in into manufacturing playing cards. One selects a stock (and a wide variety of stocks are in use). These stocks will have different thicknesses and stiffnesses, as well as different finishes. The "finish" on a deck of cards is the embossing of the deck. Think tiny dimples (like on a golf ball) imprinted into the cards. And the number and depth of these dimples can (and does) vary. Then there is the matter on the kind of press used to print the cards. And there's also the matter of how the cards are cut. These are your main factors, and they *do* vary!

It's not true to say that if you purchase boutique cards, all you're paying for is the artwork. Sometimes this is true. But not always. There can be incredibly vast differences in handling which depend, primarily, upon the stock used. And a manufacturer that takes care in how the cards are cut can prevent the standard offset cheaper printing methods generate which results in a one-way back design.

For ordinary practice, I like Bikes. For more finnicky practice, I prefer Tally-Hos. Those are my go to cards. But if you pick up a deck of, say, Monarchs... You will notice a vast difference immediately.
slowdini
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of slowdini
Riderbacks:
I get what youre saying BUT
Are you trying to say that cards printed at USPCC use different machines to cut the cards depending on the stock or imprint or whatever?
I highly doubt that. PlayRites are made by USPCC $2.50 no different than several $8-$10 decks I compared them to. Yes, I saw the dimples- did you read my post? I examined them close up - same.
Try a blindfold test and you'll see.
On thikness: that's arbitrary- youre talking 1000s of an inch; the stiff card better for one guy, thinner card better for the next guy.
What if the one you like does not cost $10 a deck?
Will the $10 you pay convince you to like them better?
Yes cards vary but god forbid you only practice with $10 cards then at a party you are asked to perform with a crappy $2.50 deck? that's why I say practice with all cards to be prepared.
After you do the blindfold test, get back to me.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If I'm not mistaken The U.S.P.C.C. has been using the same finish on all it's brands of cards for quite awhile now. They do however use different card stock for some decks. I could be wrong however.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2015, slowdini wrote: Riderbacks: I get what youre saying BUT

Are you trying to say that cards printed at USPCC use different machines to cut the cards depending on the stock or imprint or whatever?

I highly doubt that. PlayRites are made by USPCC $2.50 no different than several $8-$10 decks I compared them to. Yes, I saw the dimples- did you read my post? I examined them close up - same.
Try a blindfold test and you'll see.
On thikness: that's arbitrary- youre talking 1000s of an inch; the stiff card better for one guy, thinner card better for the next guy.
What if the one you like does not cost $10 a deck?
Will the $10 you pay convince you to like them better?
Yes cards vary but god forbid you only practice with $10 cards then at a party you are asked to perform with a crappy $2.50 deck? that's why I say practice with all cards to be prepared.
After you do the blindfold test, get back to me.

PlayRites made by USPCSS may be not different than "several" $8-$10 decks you've compared them to. I've never tried PlayRites, but I will, just for you. But yes, I am saying that you are vastly underestimating the variance in playing cards, and even those manufactured by USPCC. USPCC uses two different presses. One is widely considered superior to the other. USPCC cards can be cut in either traditional or modern variants. Stock difference can make a huge difference, and there is widespread variance in stock used in standard runs and elite speciality decks. There are many, many factors at play here. Far more than you are assuming. And those who handle cards regularly notice this. Here's a proposal. Spring for a deck of T11 Monarchs and see what you think of them compared to your PlayRites. =)
slowdini
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of slowdini
Riderbacks- I may contradict myself because I know you are correct but I honestly believe that perhaps some of the $10 cards may just be normal uspcc stock with beautiful 'high dollar' artwork. So I do agree with you. don't get me wrong- I own over 50 $10 decks. I have an unopened brown Wynns as well as many other T11, DnD , Ellusionist, etc. I stopped collecting them (building my magic book library instead) and actually plan to sell what I have. My favorite decks are Tally- Ho circle and fans. But as Ive bragged: I practice with the Walgreens PR deck. Thanks for pointing out those details bro and Happy Magic to you.
Lee Asher
View Profile
V.I.P.
495 Posts

Profile of Lee Asher
Call me insane, but I'm willing to spend hundreds if not thousands on the right deck(s) of cards.

These days, I've been on an Andrew Dougherty kick, so I've been trying to snatch-up as many different types of his early decks as possible. This hasn't been a cheap endeavor, at all! But the journey to find these items brings me great satisfaction and happiness.

What kind of price can we put on that?
LEARN ONE CARD ROUTINE EVERY MAGICIAN MUST KNOW
Click Here To Get Started Right Away
slowdini
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of slowdini
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2015, Lee Asher wrote:
Call me insane, but I'm willing to spend hundreds if not thousands on the right deck(s) of card.

Lee, how long do you keep a deck 'working'?
Do the decks you favor make the performance easier or is it more for design?
Im trying to tune in to what I might not get about it.
Thanks.
Lee Asher
View Profile
V.I.P.
495 Posts

Profile of Lee Asher
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2015, slowdini wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2015, Lee Asher wrote:
Call me insane, but I'm willing to spend hundreds if not thousands on the right deck(s) of card.

Im trying to tune in to what I might not get about it.
Thanks.

Sorry for any mis-communication. I would spend a lot of money on decks that I collect. These aren't the same decks I use in performance or practice. So asking me about the 'working' deck isn't the same as asking me about the deck that sits on the shelf or under glass.

I don't expect a 1904 A. Dougherty deck to fan well, faro properly, or spring like a champ. It does (but that's a different story) but I really expect it to look pretty when I display it. That's about it.

So when answering your questions beneath, it will be in reference to 'working' decks, not the ones I collect.

Quote:

Depending on the brand, I can keep them 'working' for a very long time. The longest and most durable, in my opinion, is the Fournier brand. I'm still playing with the sample sent to me before I printed with them. This deck feels brand new, but it's over five years old! Plus, I've washed it a few times. It's a wonderful high quality deck of cards.

I'm also finding that EPCC decks last a nice long while, too. I believe they are using sourced European paper, like Fournier. So that helps to make a big difference.

Quote:

I'm not an art collector, so the design is one of the smaller attributes I care about. I focus on feel, texture, memory, longevity, etc. I care most about functionality.

Today, it's all about innovation. Our tools are getting better, and we're seeing higher quality decks being made to order. This is a great thing for the industry.

Hope that helps clarify my insane statement about spending a fortune on playing cards.

Asher
LEARN ONE CARD ROUTINE EVERY MAGICIAN MUST KNOW
Click Here To Get Started Right Away
Travis Ducan
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Travis Ducan
Wow. where did you get that deal?

Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, DelMagic wrote:

For working decks, I would say $8 max, though for some decks I'd only rarely use, I could see me using decks up to $20.
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
The most I'm willing to spend on a single deck of cards is probably £15-20 depending on what deck it is, obviously this is excluding gaff decks and gaff decks with DVDs etc.

-P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » What Are You Willing to Pay for a Deck? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL