The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Annemann's Card Magic - Great Book! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
This book actually comprises two books in one - Annemann' Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks and Annemann's Miracles of Card Magic.

It is an excellent book on card magic, with plenty of very strong effects which are simple and straight to the point. What follows isn't a complete review of the book but a worthy note to those effects which personally stood out to me.

Dead Man's Hand

This is a truly fantastic trick and very simple too especially if you use a crimp rather than the control mentioned in the book. I have never tried it with a cap gun as yet (for the obvious reason) but instead substituted a loud clap for it. This never fails to illicit a great reaction!

ELM Card Change

I had overlooked this trick until Joe Hohman mentioned it on the Café. A great example of a simple transposition that very much reminds me of Fechter's 'I've Got a Surprise for You'.

Miracle Speller

I originally picked up on this trick from a tip from Uli Weigel made on the Café. This is a truly beautiful trick (dead easy too) that can be very personable for the person you are performing for (potentially intimate if performing for a lady). This trick really lends itself for you to adapt it to your own presentation.

A Card in Hand

This has been mentioned numerous times on the Café before so not much to add other than it is a staple trick in my repertoire and is again a good reminder of how much stronger it can be for the magic to happen in your audience’s hands. It's a killer - just make sure to keep the pace up so that the spectator doesn't turn the card over prematurely.

Double Reverse

There are countless reversed card tricks out there. I don't know if this one by Walter Gibson is the granddaddy of them all but it is certainly great. I have been using a slight variation of this trick for about 10 years due to its simplicity and impact. Eugene Burger also uses this as the basis for one of his key tricks involving a moving handkerchief . That reminds me, the Upside Down Deck in Scarne on Card Tricks isn't a million miles different to this trick, though it obviously incorporates a 'triumph' type plot.

The Whistle

Another nice reversed trick that remind me of the handling of Thought and Consequences in RRTCM.

Vice Versa

This trick uses a double facer and I've been doing this for about 2 weeks - it gets great reactions! Very simple for people to follow and so long as you can do a Mexican Turnover (not hard) you'll be doing this in no time! What a simple trick...

Stop When Ready

Essentially a card at number trick which uses a very simple control.
Futile Lesson

I like the general premise of this 'spelling bee' type trick but to be honest I haven't figured out a way yet how to not make one of the spectators look foolish...

So, that's my list. There are of course, many, many, other tricks, strategies and principles etc, I haven't mentioned but I'll leave that to you guys to find them.

Would be great to hear what other people think about this great book and what tricks others favour.

Best

Justin
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
This is a brilliant two book publication. I bought it YEARS ago when I was first starting out and the two routined acts at the end really taught me a LOT about moving away from thinking about magic as a series of tricks and opened my eyes to the importance of structure and obviously magic's theatricality.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
There was already a discussion here
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

Unfortunately I don't own it but your post ( and Vlad's words as well ) made me wanting to buy it...I read some of Annemann's routines in TLPP and I enjoyed them immensely Smile
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Juble, I am flattered that you valued my opinion enough to investigate ELM. That makes my day.

I agree with you on The Whistle and Stop When Ready --- I use Stop When Ready often, and you can usually it with borrowed, beat-up cards.Also nice that the spectator tells YOU where to find it; I always square up the pack and re-count the face-up cards into my right hand, fair as can be.

I will try out Vice Versa -- thanks for suggesting it.

My newest favorite is The New Nightmare Effect on page 74. Read this over, make the necessary item (it will take you less than 10 minutes), and try it out. I do some magic at my office for co-workers every Friday ("It's Magic Friday!"), sometimes coins, occasionally ropes or handkerchiefs, but mostly cards. The reactions were among the strongest I've ever gotten from this group. Also, if you have guts, you could ring this in and do it with a borrowed deck -- very strong closer.
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
Hi Joe
That's OK - it's all about sharing! The ELM trick really is great! I think you'll like Vice Versa - I can't think of a more direct and simple effect. I'll have to re-read the New Nightmare Effect, for some reason I mustn't have given it the attention is deserves.
Thanks
Justin
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
Good tip on Stope When Ready as well
Cheers Smile
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Ah.... Vice Versa is basically the Wild Card move. Ok, I remember that now. Yes, I could see ringing in the DF into a borrowed deck routine.

This has been fun re-visiting this book. Even some of the tricks that I don't perform have moves or ideas that I use in other effects... Like the strip-out in Audley Walsh's Coincidence -- pretty cool utility move.
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
Have finally read The New Nightmare Effect - looks very straight to the point and strong. Will make the gaff up (may use a double-ender) and try it out later this week if I get the chance Smile . I'd come across this gaff before as part of a card through table effect but didn't realise it was this old!
Cheers
Ghost Counter
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
36 Posts

Profile of Ghost Counter
"A card in hand" and "Stop when ready" are worth the price of the book alone. I bought this book years ago and these were the effects which really appealed to me. With the right presentation, these are so impressive to the layman. Two of my favourite effects ever!
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
This was my first magic book I ever purchased. Back in the 80's as a kid visiting Disneyland I bought this at the magic shop. I had long since gotten rid of it along the way. As a result of this thread, I had to purchase another copy. Thanks guy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Annemann's Card Magic - Great Book! (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL