The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Need info before I buy Roy Kueppers Gravity Flipper (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
I have heard great things about Roy Kueppers but I wanted to know for the price is it good its way cheaper then most Gravity Flippers here is the site http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5217

just wanted to know how well made it is
is it a magnetic flipper or ?
any anthing you think I sould know about his coin
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1941 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
If it doesn't say "magnetic", it's more than likely not.
That may or may not be an issue depending on how you intend to use it.

At that price I suspect that when open you can't display the coin edge-on (edge band vs internal with "real edge").
Again, that may or may not be an issue depending on how you intend to use it.

Also w/respect to price, most of the ones talked about here are made from older silver coins and from custom makers - both adding additional cost.
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
Thanks for the info anyone use on of his cheaper gravity coins its sold on Roy Kueppers site as well
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4667 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
A NGF from Mark Mason would be an excellent buy. Not a regular band so way less problems with breakage. Has a magnet if you want to use it with a shimmed shell or you can use a regular (non shimmed shell) and it acts exactly like a "gravity flipper". Quality and customer service is second to none. (I have read many threads stating Roys was spotty at times, have not dealt with him myself but I read a lot on this forum so be forewarned - do a search).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1905 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Apparently it's hit or miss with Roy Kueppers coins. Like Pood-Daddy says, do a search. Click on "Search" and in the "Search by Keyword" field type in "Roy Kueppers". Hunt for the post dated June 7, 2015. I was going to purchase some shells from Roy until I read some negative reviews. Apparently some coins are good and some are not.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Every coin had two sides. Please also read my review under Roy Kueppers CSB where I detail my experience with Roy. Then you need to make the informed decision by yourself!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2626 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Over the years there's been numerous posts about Roy's customer service and quality.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6866 Posts

Profile of bowers
I haven't had any problems with Roy either.
But as Poof Daddy said above the NGF is the way to go.
Todd
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I actually own this flipper and am looking to upgrade. not that this is a bad buy, it gets the job done I suppose, but you have to be careful not to display the side of the insert as the groove is visible. also, I would be careful of having anything else hit the coin as it does sound and feels a bit plasticy. its not a bad flipper if you have a low budget. it works well, ive had no problems, visually it looks nice, or as it should. but if you have the money, look at roy's other flippers from his silver collection
on his website. that gravity flipper that is sold on penguin or any other dealer is going to be from his "common collection". but as stated above,.there are other options as well.
Bob Magic
View Profile
New user
San Diego, California
90 Posts

Profile of Bob Magic
I had a bad experience with a Roy Kueppers coin. It literally came apart. I cannot recommend him nor will I buy any more of his coins.

-Bob
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Bob swadling makes great flippers, though I do like to casually display coins from as many angles aas I can get away with. I believe Jamie Schoolcraft's gravity flipper is a great choice for this. Due to the milled edging and internal band. Smile
Bendy
View Profile
Elite user
Winter Garden, Florida
491 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Purchasing from Roy Kueppers is a gamble. Definitely hit-or-miss. I've had ONE good experience, (albeit with slow turn-around time, well after the promised date). Beyond that first, good experience, I have nothing but nightmare stories regarding both product and service. ...And I have heard countless others.
I admit that some of his work is good. But much of his work suffers in quality, functionality and workmanship. His customer service seems to be an even rarer occasion than instances of good craftsmanship.
Buyer beware if you purchase directly from Roy Kueppers. Send your money and roll the dice...because it's definitely a gamble.
You have other options. My advice is to pursue those other options.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4182 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just can't understand what is up with Roy Kueppers. He seems like a Jekyll and Hyde or at least split personalities.
Sometimes good customer service and high quality, then other times he lies and delivers junk.
I have a Walking Liberty Sun/Moon set that is as good as anybody could have done so he does have the ability and skill set when he wants to apply it, or maybe he just gets lucky sometimes but can't master consistency.
But all the horror stories have scared me away from him.

The other strange thing is why are all the top gaffers (at least those in the US) so difficult to contact?
What is it about coin gaffing that makes someone dislike returning emails and phone calls?
I guess they're all just so busy that they can be pretty picky about who and what they want to do next.
But its hard not to get the feeling that they would really rather not do whatever it is you would like to have done.
Just curious why that type of personality seems to be attracted to working with coins, because that seems to be the case. Smile
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
Apparently some coins are good and some are not
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2015, videoman wrote:
The other strange thing is why are all the top gaffers (at least those in the US) so difficult to contact?
What is it about coin gaffing that makes someone dislike returning emails and phone calls?
I guess they're all just so busy that they can be pretty picky about who and what they want to do next.
But its hard not to get the feeling that they would really rather not do whatever it is you would like to have done.
Just curious why that type of personality seems to be attracted to working with coins, because that seems to be the case. Smile

Precisely why I deal ONLY with Johnson Products! If I GOTTA have a custom made gaff...I don't need it. Nope. Johnson.

https://johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop/index.php

Doug
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1941 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2015, videoman wrote:

Just my personal experience, but they're not. It's a small sample size (probably less than 10 times total), but Todd and Jamie have generally answered the phone when I've called. That also points to the fact that they're on-man operations - it's not like calling "customer service" at a large company where someone gets paid to answer the phones (and ONLY answer the phones).
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Roy has answered any questions I've had, and promptly might I add. regarding my previous post about the flipper I have from his "common collection" ( basically meaning anything not made from silver), the gaff is still holding up for me. at the same time I havent used it a whole lot, but still it has held up and haven't had any problems beside the band slipping a little. it was cheap, and it does sound cheap, and if you look closely, it looks cheap too. but from a distance, I don't think any lay person could tell the difference between that and a real coin. so yeah, as said before, it does depend on how you intend on using it.

anyway, I just got my schoolcraft oxf set (shimmed exp. shell w/ teflon tape + magnetic flipper) in the mail yesterday. although I don't have too much of a base for comparison besides the cheap flipper I have, this thing is beautiful. you can see the difference and quality immediately. if I had to nit pick, the only thing is that the shell isn't quite as deep as I would like it to be, but its not that big a deal. the other problem I had, though not a major one, but still annoying, is the elastic snapped the first day of using it.. but after I replaced it, seems to be perfect.

regardless of those little things, id still highly recommend jamie's work if you have the money. I was very close to buying the ngf flipper though. seems to be a great balance of quality and price, same goes for johnson. good luck!
jconz
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of jconz
I purchased the Roy Kueppers standard gravity flipper. In the past, the only other flippers I have purchased were Johnsons or Tango. (The Tango one was a quarter, the others were halves.)

I really like this coin. It requires a slightly different handling than a standard elastic band flipper that has tension on it at all times. This one won't snap shut if it's displayed openly on your hand. Also, there is a little play so that when the coins are shown as two coins, you can slightly fan them a little bit back and forth and they do not appear to be connected.

A benefit to the "gravity" style is they can be easily held by a clip of some kind and when you steal them off the clip it is much easier to get it into a proper position in your hand one-handedly. This is a benefit because with the other kinds that snap shut on you, it can be very difficult to get it displayed the way you want to without broadcasting that you are having to hold the "two" coins in a special way.

Like Dai Vernon said, "How do you get into the effect, how do you get out?" With this gravity flipper I can "get into" the effect right in front of the audience as I reach into a pocket and remove 'two' halves, for instance. With a non-gravity one, good luck. Though it can be done.

Do you have a particular effect in mind for this flipper? The effect and your desired handling of it will dictate which flipper will work best for you. You may actually have to invest in 2 or 3 various types of flippers (internal grove, external groove, permanent hinge) until you find the one that works best for you. At least that is what I had to do, not having a large peer group of people that owned various flippers for me to try.
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
132 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
I know this forum is a bit dated, but I wanted to add my 2 cents about Roy and his work.

I just purchased and received an Eisenhower (non-silver) gravity flipper and expanded shell from him. First, from a customer service standpoint, he was great. I had first ordered the flipper (because, by the way, his was the ONLY place that I was even able to find an Eisenhower flipper), and then decided to add the shell about a week later. I contacted him via email and he quickly replied that he was just starting to work on the flipper and that it was not too late to order the shell, have it custom fit to fit the flipper, and save on combined shipping, so I did. I received the items about a week later.

As for quality, I've only been practicing with them for a couple of days, but have no complaints so far. The quality seems strong, the side of the insert looks good, the seam is practically invisible, and it's easy to open. It also fits perfectly with the expanded shell. YMMV, but (for now, at least) I'm happy with this purchase from Roy.
Tada!...

tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I'm not commenting on the interaction with Roy (I've had both fast/good replies and slow/missing responses in the same experience), but there are definitely other Eisenhower flippers out there.
A fast search turns up this one: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12472 and there are non-pro versions, too.

That aside, it's great to hear the quality is good. I'm still waiting to finalize my order.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Need info before I buy Roy Kueppers Gravity Flipper (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL