The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are your go to effects for ooh and aaah? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I was curious what your go-to effects are in a children/family show that usually creates good verbal ooh-aaah WOW responses from the group?

Is it the trick, or how it is presented (ie that it uses something over their heads or in the air like fire, smoke or confetti that is getting the reaction?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Silk Cascade (Fountain of Silks)
News Flash
Ring and Rope
Flying Knots, a one rope knot (and a free knot) routine with a lot of swinging the rope around so it is lively and fun.

My Juggling routine with jokes. I'm not that good as a Juggler. It is the interaction that is getting the main response. I do an over the shoulder throw, on the head, under the chin, under the leg and a few weird ones but it is just 3 bean bags. The kids loved the Juggling before I could do MOST of the tricks, so have fun with it.

-Mary Mowder
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
My most ooh and aah effects are my own original interactive routines, such as Merlin, The Magic in You, Skull-o-pini, and Birthday Finale. These are unique presentations of standard effects, each one featuring its own custom musical score. See my website for details.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Ooh and aah are not reactions I shoot for. But if I did, the balloon swallow and the Professor's Nightmare would do it for me.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Comedy Milk Glass and Silk Poke. It is both the effect and the presentation.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Recently I had some comments that the client was not seeing what they thought should be in a magic show or something like Ginn's Comdedy rings the client thought was "too long"
The one thought they "were hiring a magician" not an childrens entertainer. They all praised for entertaining the kids but were expecting something more in the magic.

After 20 +years have refined routines to entertain more and carry less props. HOWEVER, this is not starting to hurt my reviews. I assume they want a bunny or dove but with temp changes and travel, I am not able or willing to have a pet.

It is my thought it would not take much, just a few more non verbal, quick tricks in a routine like many might use for an opener but looking for practical, visual and reset is reasonable, while being something the 7 and under vocalize their reactions.

AND lately, chaps, I have been working in banquet rooms were they undersold the size so my portable PA would not cut it. So visual stuff that gets them reacting, given them some of what they expect a magician to do,

Incidentally,and while only 2 or 3 comment were made, I noticed this seemed to start after I raised my price. I suspect they expected something more for the price paid.

It did make me take a harder look at what I do in the half hour allotted for magic and that maybe some routines like the rings, while I see no issue with them, nor do the kids, the recent comment was it was long, or even a Axtel Birthday Bird was too LONG and Not Magic. (magic and puppet 45 min)

I can almost guarantee I wold not have heard this if I made a bunny appear or in fact, just take one out of a cage and put it on the table. Alas, I will not be working with animals .
I am also "SO OVER" this idea that props in shows are bad things. I was raise with other magicians blasting those who use colorful props.
I probably deserve being called a great childrens entertainer but average magician since I had taken out so much plus already had 20 lbs I carry in. Nothing I do is BAD, or low quality. It just does not have that SIZZLE/ Razzmatazz.

For me, the issue right now is to not add any more long single tricks or piece that work better with talking. Looking to see what they ooh and ahh over now a days.
I want the dove reaction without the dove.. but also still get skill/value points.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
There's no reason why you can't do quick "skill" tricks for kidshows ... as long as you weave an enchanting story around it. That should satisfy both the kids and older audience members who want "something more magical."
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
532 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
The rose petal to egg always gets oohs and aahs and something they all comment on at the end of the show.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
That sounds cool, Dan. DO you have a link to it?
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2407 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Dan, I too would like to learn more about, rose petal to egg.

Thx. Dave
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Gee, I guess for me, The Growing Head Illusion comes to mind.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
532 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
The rose petal to egg is very similar to egg on fan with a piece of tissue paper. The same type egg is in the petals of a white rose in a bud vase. The "rose petal" is plucked from the rose and placed into a wine glass and rotated back in forth in the glass. The "petal" takes on the shape of an egg and is taken out and broken into the same wine glass. Rose petal to egg! Be prepared for a bit of silence after breaking the egg. The audience can not believe what they just witnessed. From preschool to adult it plays great.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
532 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Do a Google search under Egg on Fan magic trick to view the trick. I do not like the fan method and prefer the wine glass.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5381 Posts

Profile of RNK
I have one of Dan's eggs. Its super!!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1197 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
532 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Thanks for the video, but I like to perform the trick much slower as the petal slowly takes on the shape of the egg.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've worked thousands of school assemblies in the last 40+years, and I've NEVER DONE A KIDDIE SHOW --NOT EVEN FOR PRIMARY SCHOOLS!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Thanks for the input guys and gals.

This is not about doing "a kiddie show" but also one as to ask "Why do so many think it is a bad thing?" If you work 3-5 it can be BETTER to stay primary. It bit me in this last review. They thought the rings were too long for that age. As I said, I know they liked it, but that was the client's opinion due to two boys deciding to wrestle mid trick. (She also praised me for handling them so not sure why she still felt the need to say that effected dragged on)

But as I said, this is not about kid tricks or not, I was only trying to give back story that I AM NOT AGAINST stuff some would brand as "Kiddie"
So even if you don't agree, lets stay focused then on the tricks you use in your NON "kiddie show" that is getting gasps of astonishment...

--------------------------------

As for growing and shrinking head- When it works, yes it gets a wonderful reaction. However, with kids, I just don't have the luck with it. 30/70 chance. I always kick myself when I use it and get a poor reaction. I know better from experience.

I can not only hear but see who sees the illusion. It seems to work better for adults and teens.
Remind yourself that little ones will sometimes say they see something if they think the others are seeing it. But with this one, you can tell.

Kids 10 and under seem to have issues with it. the younger ones are easily distracted and can look away. Older ones sometimes don't play along and don't always stare long enough. Some just cant see the effect like my brother. It also just does not work for everyone depending on their angle and distance from the disk. ALso , for many if they have to move their gaze too much the effect is lost. As I said, you can tell. But all you need is few adults to gasp or laugh and you have saved it. I used to open family shows with it and just hope a good number see it. I felt bad as I noticed how many don't see it. Look at them and you will start to see who is really getting it.
I think larger audiences we are fooled to think it works for more when we here some good reactions. But as far as 3-7 years, a large number don't see it in my experience.

Lets play a little here. I am going to make some of you (not all), THINK. Well at least ponder ...

When I was reading Dan Ford's suggestion, rose petal to egg, I never saw that version but did jump to the egg on fan which I have done in the past.
But then a question came to mind. IS it the cracking of the egg that they are really reacting to or is it the magic of the egg forming? Maybe they just they assume it is what it is but love to see the messy egg....

I am sure Sam Sandler will say his gloves to streamer is another good quicky. But again I ask is it the trick itself that is getting the reaction or is it that something long is unrolling over their heads... or is it the confetti the comes out?

Is it the flash ball of fire or even the fact a lit match came from under your lapel rather than the thing that appears, is the reaction as strong without the SFX?

I am sure if you really start thinking about it, It might not be the trick that is important but the mess that results.

I have always thought, one can just take a rabbit out from the cage and set it on the table and you will get a large reaction. This would mean it is the rabbit itself not the trick that is the real cause ....

That is why I don't believe one has to go too over board with the props, as much as think about the sizzle that goes along with the props.

Anyway, that is back story but really I am still curious of effects you have.found that generate that wow response.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Powermagic, I would say it's not so much the trick, but the presentation that generates that wow factor. Performers who have worked on presentation and showmanship can turn a basic prop or routine (even one the audience might be familiar with) into something magical.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Powermagic, I would say it's not so much the trick, but the presentation that generates that wow factor. Performers who have worked on presentation and showmanship can turn a basic prop or routine (even one the audience might be familiar with) into something magical.

I agree that the presentation is everything. I think that holds true when the audience doesn't feel that they are being challenged. I believe that it's the reason that so many of us play for laughs, and the more serious parlor act is pretty much a thing of the past. (Illusionists, mentalists, manipulated acts, not withstanding .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are your go to effects for ooh and aaah? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL