The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are your go to effects for ooh and aaah? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Powermagic,

Does the word “WOW” count? 

Seriously, though, that’s a tough question especially if you’re goal is to produce actual ooh and aah verbal reactions.

There’s a part of me that says it’s:
- The performer
- His personality
- Showmanship
- Selecting the right material
- How it’s presented (routine)
- The environment in which it’s presented (outdoors vs. theatres)

I also think certain magical effects affect certain age groups differently. The same holds true for magical effects in front of all female audiences vs. all male audiences vs. mixed audiences.

A group of first graders may verbally say “Wow” when they see a Botania, Silk Fountain, or a rabbit production for the first time. While a teenage audience may also enjoy these effects, you may not get any verbal reaction from them whatsoever.

Pick up a copy of John Harrison’s SPELLBOUND: THE WONDER-FILLED LIFE OF DOUG HENNING. At least that book may help get you thinking in the right direction.

Gerry
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
This forum is called little darlings not teen darlings.

I have the Henning book and not sure your connection.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

You mentioned Family Shows. Aren't adults and teenagers part of that mix?

As for Doug Henning, the man had a way of instilling real wonder into his magic via his personality and presentations. Deep down inside, I believe (I could be wrong about this) that this is what you ultimately want to achieve. If you can create real wonder, you should get the oohs and aahs you're seeking.

I might be getting a bit heavy for some readers here, but I think the Henning book is a great place to start - - providing you learn how to "read between the lines." Most magicians read magic biographies and say, "I just read the life story about this magician." Others will read the same book and discover that this book just laid out everything that magician did right right or wrong throughout his or her lifetime and can truly learn something valuable from that information.

Gerry
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
No, I don't find many teens at my family shows. Most shows sold as FAMILY are ones that might have a few 12-14 but usually are 2-11 and then adults. (unless it is a first night type of show but then they are usually NOT hanging with their family.

Thanks for your input Gerry.
I don't agree that the Henning book is the place to start. He was my favorite growing up. I was a member of his Fan Club. I modeled after his style.I used to do TM because of him. I am still waiting for the Muppet show to release a volume with his show in HD. I have signed Doug posters and membership card.
I saw Doug in Merlin and on Broadway. I always liked his spirit over David Copperfield. I read the book and think, if all accounts are true, it was a great insight to how they put those TV shows together.

Yes you might be going too deep for what I was asking but thanks for suggesting. Maybe it will inspire someone else.
I was just curious what eye candy , magical effects others were using that would get verbal reactions like oooh aaah , wow. No, not looking to "instill wonder" as that implies gentle awe. I have too much in the way of longer, story pieces. I use several Arthur Stead pieces as well as a fwe other scripted pieces.

Seriously guys, I can show you a few videos of those reactions from those who did not do more than just the trick. They did not need personality or unique presentation. While all that surely helps the over all package. there just seems to be some things that can get the verbal reaction which makes the mums and dads turn to see what you were doing.

However , the more I think of effects like say gloves to streamer, I do start to wonder if one jsut came out and tossed a kabuki or just tossed the silk streamer with confetti, , no gloves, would the reaction be the same? Is it the trick or the fact a 12 foot streamer over head and some mess falling down, the REAL reason they react.
If so, maybe more effects could make the performer SOUND great but really not adding new effects... just by adding some glitter or confetti?

I mean there must be a reason AGT will always add a spark cannon or confetti blast at the end of an act, even if it does not fit. I think it is so hokey but why do they use it if it does not really work or fit?

I think parents and kids are conditioned to expect certian things to happen in a magic show. I had been so "over taught" by others that one does not do a show that is"the adventures of the props" as well as "don't work so hard with trick trick trick, build a routine and you fill more time with less to carry around."

Well, some recent groups, not native to the US, seem to be expecting something different or MORE. I think they want a punchy opening act with productions.
I know many say it is not needed. I did not seem to need it for 25 years. But now I would like to add a few things in.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5379 Posts

Profile of RNK
I have found that the simple crystal casket box and the finale of the color changing feather wreath always gets the OOOOs and Ahhhs. Of course, when my rabbit Sal makes his appearance, that never fails to get the OOOOOs and Ahhhhs.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Powermagic wrote:
Seriously guys, I can show you a few videos of those reactions from those who did not do more than just the trick. They did not need personality

Then show us those videos, because frankly I don't believe that someone sleepwalking through a trick, no matter how good that trick is, will impress anyone.

In an earlier post you mentioned just leaving a rabbit on the table. Now you ask about tossing confetti and streamers into the air for impact. To me it seems you are searching for flash, not impact. Its a short-cut approach that will impress a mother who looks through the door at the right time, but won't impress someone who stays to watch the full show. To impress them, it is about personality and presentation.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
391 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
"To impress them, it is about personality and presentation."

This is generally true, but not always.

If somebody can do the trick paper to bill very good he can impress others without any personality and without any presentation.

Just show the paper, fold the paper, unfold the bill, show the bill, they are IMPRESSED IMMENSELY.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

I think the better, deeper, question is - - what causes people to say ooh, aah and wow?

To me, it all starts with personality and presentation.

Gerry
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2015, Daniel Ulzen wrote:
"To impress them, it is about personality and presentation."

This is generally true, but not always.

If somebody can do the trick paper to bill very good he can impress others without any personality and without any presentation.

Just show the paper, fold the paper, unfold the bill, show the bill, they are IMPRESSED IMMENSELY.

I don't agree. Without personality and presentation they are not even watching, so they won't be impressed, immediately or otherwise.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Tony I posted videos but the post was removed.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
When I brought back
circle to square (not the production prop)
I was and still am surprised of the reaction to the visual change.

The one I use is over sized and made of a heavier metal than usual.

It's punch is much bigger than the space it takes up in my gym (prop) bag.

There are some uuuuuuu moments such as after I play a serious song on my harmonica and play
the last 3 notes with my nose. ...but I digress. ...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2015, Powermagic wrote:
Tony I posted videos but the post was removed.

That is a shame, because this discussion has not been heated or negative. There is no need for moderators to be interfering. Try reposting, perhaps?
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I have learned if you push the mods even if in the right, there is backlash .
It could be they did not like the video of the guy they just banned OR they felt it was wrong to point out flaws of others without their permission.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I started putting a mouth coil back in, FROM MY MOUTH, and found it is getting good reactions and the VISUAL is magical to those adults in the back who turn to look at us taking up the length of the coil.
It is little things like that , that seem to make a show seem more magical. I had taken it out for a while when too many old magicians said never put a coil in your mouth.
But it does have the magical elements that get verbal response and a visual that is retained by young and hold especially when you get out 25 feet.
It appears they think this is something a magician does so it scores points and they react verbally.
Geoff Akins
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Geoff Akins
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2015, Harris wrote:
When I brought back
circle to square (not the production prop)
I was and still am surprised of the reaction to the visual change.

The one I use is over sized and made of a heavier metal than usual.

I do a whole show with bubbles so I get's lots of ooohs and aaahs. I also use circle to square and it creates a buzz too!

Where did you get an over sized version?
Geoff Akins
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Geoff Akins
I did some searching and fount the giant version of Squaring the Circle on Abbott's website here:
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Giant-Squarin......oryId=-1
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Geoff

U. S. Toys magic is where I got the oversized prop.
They have lots of one of a kind things made years ago.

They used to be a good source for hard to find Supreme items.
Been quite a while since I've been inside there large brick and mortar shop, inside U. S. Toys a cross between a teacher supply and Oriental Trading Co.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
For me, it's Airborne, the first linking of the rings routine, and the balloon-bag.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Appearance of a rabbit.
Flash appearance of large feather flowers.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
All over the map:
-- Ring and rope
-- Giant B'Wave
-- Gypsy Balloon
-- Spoon bend
(Yes, all from 6-12 year olds and their parents.
I don't expect much from 13-17.
They're still fried - they just don't like to show it.)

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are your go to effects for ooh and aaah? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL