The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Mind Reading by Google (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marqus
View Profile
Special user
861 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Recently the Chicago Cubs had a magician entertain them. He did the following:

He asked Anthony Rizzo to write down his favorite movie star on a piece of paper. Then Simon googled "What is Anthony Rizzo thinking of right now?" and all of a sudden pictures of Travolta popped up.

Does anyone know what magical app can accomplish that?

Getting the info (movie star) isn't my concern. Getting it to pop up on Google is. At first, I thought maybe there was a hidden assistant to hear the chosen movie star, but then there would be no need to write anything down.

I'm probably late to the party on this.
If I can be steered in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
What did he Google on? Android, iPhone, Mac, PC etc.?
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
861 Posts

Profile of Marqus
I don't know. I pulled this line: (He asked Anthony Rizzo to write down his favorite movie star on a piece of paper. Then Simon googled "What is Anthony Rizzo thinking of right now?" and all of a sudden pictures of Travolta popped up) right from the online news report.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Sounds like he's using Google Voice. I mean, he's using his voice to search not typing to search. Sounds cool..
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Yes, good thinking. This could absolutely be done with Google voice or Siri on iOS.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Still does not explain how Travolta comes up from that question. Unless I'm missing something, which does happen from time to time.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
I'm guessing that's the part where the app comes in play. My crazy guess: He's using c****r t**r and point a cam to the writing in hand. The app recognize the word using a handwriting recognition (OMG!) That's why he pretend to use Google Voice. So he can distance himself from the phone in order to capture the writing. Ha! I think I bought myself too many apps..
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Probably just an accomplice supathumping to the phone.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
597 Posts

Profile of egoli
This is an old trick and I'm surprised no-one else knows about it.:

1. Go to http://ipolygraph.com/google/ . This is a fake Google Site that has an amazing tool built in. Bookmark it for use later...
Note: If you like, you may hide the address bar in your browser, but when performed properly, no one will notice that the address is different.
2. Have your spectator select a card or object or whatever in their mind, and covertly determine what it is they are thinking of. You can use any method you like. Or you can ask what it is for an "experiment" and skip step 3.
3. Make a few bad guesses.
4. Go to the fake Google page. If you like, you can click on the "Images" button to do an image search (this way you get pictures of the card or object). Otherwise, it does a regular google search that returns text results.
5. In the input field, type a slash (/), and then the object they are thinking of (special quick codes are explained below), and followed by another slash (/).
For cards, there is a quick card, if the card is the four of clubs, you would type: “4C” but to the user it will appear as if you typed “What”.
Then finish the rest of the question, phrasing it any way you like, such as “What is it?”
When you hit the search button, Google will perform a search on the phrase “four of clubs”, or whatever card you covertly input.
The two letter card code is a rank, followed by a suit. Ranks are a,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,1,j,q,k. Suits are h,d,c,s (first letter of the suit). For example to encode “ten of diamonds” you might type: 10d
Key stokes would look like this: /10d/ or /hamburger/
6. You may use either the web search, or the image search only.
Note that this page will behave more or less like normal Google if you don’t type the slash.
Basically, once you type the slash, the tool enabled on this page will hide you typing the actual thing the spectator is thinking and then once you close with a slash, you finish the sentence of the search.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
I'm having trouble on #5-- there's no input field. But everything else is exactly as you describe. Thank you for this share, egoli.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Special user
Tamil Nadu, India
789 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Egoli is right. Its very old one but a deceptive one
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Special user
Tamil Nadu, India
789 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Dear Daniltan,

Which browser you r using pl
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, ursmagicbalu wrote:
Dear Daniltan,

Which browser you r using pl

I'm using Safari & Chrome both on my iPad & iPhone. I have a feeling iPolygraph using Flash that not available on iOS
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Special user
Tamil Nadu, India
789 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
You r right it will work only on laptop and pcs
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Thank you for the clarification Smile It looks very deceiving.
jmbulg
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
205 Posts

Profile of jmbulg
On Firefox the /10d/ or similar codes are used as such without being hidden. Maybe a problem with ad blockers or other filters ?
Tried slash / also on numerical keyboard, no success. Is there a help page somewhere ?

Thanks anyway for pointing to the page, whichs seems very interesting.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2561 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
It's most likely Supa Thump with an accomplice.

No one ever speaks the name of the movie star.

The order of events with Supa Thump is:

1. Think of any movie star.
2. I'll ask google what movie star you're thinking of on your phone.
3. The magician pretends to type "What's he thinking of?"
4. Just so that you don't change your mind, before I show you what google came up with, write down his/her name and show it to everyone. Make sure I don't see it.
5. Spectator writes down Travolta.
6. Please turn over your phone to see what google came up with.
7. The spectator turns over his own phone and sees a google image search for John Travolta!!!
8. Everything can be fully examined.

You can do the above routine with either the iOS or the Android version of Supa Thump.
The spectator can use ANY device that can connect to the internet.

cheers,
Greg Rostami
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2561 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
I almost forgot . . .

If the spectator hits the back button on their phone, they will see that you had typed in the REAL Google "What's he thinking of?"

Just a little added bonus. Smile

Greg
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
496 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
It could be either method above. However the reason I like Supathump is you can borrow the spectator's phone and do the search on google before the spectator says anything or writes anything down. I even have a way to do this without an accomplice that requires a jailbroken phone and an elaborate set up combined with Supathump.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Mind Reading by Google (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL