The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Magnum Opus Loochus - The Black Project (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1873 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
He has a causal manner and boyish good looks that are disarming to say the least.

He asked me to name three major cities to which I had travelled in the past and to think of a major landmark in each.

He asked me to imagine postcards for those cities and to select one in my mind only.

He quietly jotted something down on the back of a box I had laying on my table.

He asked me to name the city.

'San Francisco.'

He asked me to turn over the box.

It said, 'Golden Gate Bridge.'

His name is Looch, and the new release is called The Black Project. This routine and 600 pages of content like this fills two high quality volumes, in a boxed set, with videos and a supporting secret forum.
I have known Looch for years and loved his Simple and Direct (SAD) book that came out years ago. Ten years on, he has indeed produced his Magnum Opus.

Limited to 400 copies ever, The Black Project will go down in history and sit alongside the canons of mentalism that we all so cherish: 13 Steps, Mentalism Incorporated, The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, and the Mind and Magic of David Berglas.

Yes, it is that good.

Looch uses everyday objects, lateral thinking that makes me scream with delight, and a style of engagement that is charming, charismatic and simply comfortable. No tattoos, no aggression, no in your face performance style. Just a pleasant and unsettling display of mind reading.

Looch is a working mentalist with private clients, corporate clients, public stunts (a la Berglas), and stage shows that bring to the world the best that mentalism has to offer. He has won entertainment and business awards, not least of which a prize from the UK Dragon's Den venture capitalist Theo Paphitis. He has always been the name to watch and now he shares all with this project. I have had the pleasure of watching Looch perform and in sharing the stage with him. For me, this is the mentalism release of the year, hands down.

The Black Project is available here:

http://theblackproject.co.uk/
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3340 Posts

Profile of Looch
Thanks Todd

Trailer here: https://youtu.be/gUtVbdNrSPE
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
190 Posts

Profile of Zee
Just placed my order!!!!

Mr. Looch, by any chance, can you please tell me if you talked about bxxxxt index in this book? I have never seen yours but heard it was the greatest B.I. so I am curious about it.

Zee
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
I got to know Looch on his 1st Penguin Live. I really loved his material. Ill start saving for this one, I hope Ill do it before the 400 copies run out.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
If a creator/performer has been in a field for ten years and has had the discipline to write, file, and organize all of his thoughts and creations for those ten years--all of that is admirable. However, if one then publishes all (or most) of that collection, the chances of all (or most) of it being actually fit to print are remote.

Furthermore, NO ONE who has functioned in ANY serious field of study for only 10 years is in any position to write an "opus." They may organize and publish the material in their notebooks; some of it may be worthwhile to others; but an "opus?" The distance between a big book and a magnum opus is vast.

George
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3340 Posts

Profile of Looch
The majority of the conversation on TBP is taking place here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=574756
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2015, George Hunter wrote:
Furthermore, NO ONE who has functioned in ANY serious field of study for only 10 years is in any position to write an "opus." They may organize and publish the material in their notebooks; some of it may be worthwhile to others; but an "opus?" The distance between a big book and a magnum opus is vast.

George

I have to respectfully disagree.

You mention a field of study and ten years - firstly, study isn't the right word. Some people only study, that is definitely true. Looch has practiced, experimented, refined, and slogged.

As to the reference to ten years - Looch has been in magic since he was a youngster, well over twenty years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where you are coming from. Magic is a field where so many practitioners are anything but that - they know so much theory and yet have never put their secrets to the test. It is difficult to draw comparisons to other industries as you have done.

But I don't think it is a mischaracterisation to label this book an "Opus".

Best,

Atlas
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Atlas:

You may be right, of course. At least several knowledge-leaders, such as Einstein, produced revolutionary insights when they were fairly young.

But size does not equal "opus," and to rush to the conclusion that our friend has produced an opus before very many people have even read it might be a tad premature.

George
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1873 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2015, George Hunter wrote:
Atlas:

You may be right, of course. At least several knowledge-leaders, such as Einstein, produced revolutionary insights when they were fairly young.

But size does not equal "opus," and to rush to the conclusion that our friend has produced an opus before very many people have even read it might be a tad premature.

George

The book does not profess to be a theory of everything or the theory of relativity or the origins of the species, but it is a remarkable achievement, beautifully produced, and chocked full of new ideas, field tested insights, and amazing well honed routines for the modern mentalist. It also reflects all of Looch's blood, sweat and tears over many years of performing. On these criteria and the very positive feedback this work is receiving, I am quite happy to call this a magnum opus. I concur with Atlas.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11857 Posts

Profile of John C
I agree with George's technical reference. I haven't read the "opus"
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1873 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, John C wrote:
I agree with George's technical reference. I haven't read the "opus"

I agree too, and I have read it Smile
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
So if this can be called an opus, what would you call TA Water's eight hundred and some pages, Mind, Myth & Magic (65$)
A book?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:

Haven't you guys other things to do than all this cavelling?
It was quite clear in the add from the very beginning what this is!

Stop ruining this forum completely before it is too late! (I believe it already is)
Get a life!

Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:

These kind of posts reminds me on why I, - and quite a few with me rarely come here anymore.
I suggest that you read the posts in this thread again

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:
So if this can be called an opus, what would you call TA Water's eight hundred and some pages, Mind, Myth & Magic (65$)
A book?

Glad you're still with us champ!

Best,

Atlas
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1873 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:
A book?

TA Waters is also in my category of Magnum Opus Sven. Remember any such accolade is relative to the artist and not to other artists:

'A work of art, music, or literature that is regarded as the most important or best work that an artist, composer, or writer has produced.' (Oxford English Dictionary). Thus, in relation to Looch's work to date, this is his magnum opus.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18659 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its also the brand of condoms he favours...
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2015, DrTodd wrote:

TA Waters is also in my category of Magnum Opus Sven. Remember any such accolade is relative to the artist and not to other artists:

'A work of art, music, or literature that is regarded as the most important or best work that an artist, composer, or writer has produced.' (Oxford English Dictionary). Thus, in relation to Looch's work to date, this is his magnum opus.

Thanks for your reply, Todd.

I don't have Looch's book, and when he approached me offering it, I told him that I wasn't in the market for buying it.
Not that I am in any doubt that it is a good book-
On the contrary, I have some of Looch's other material, I like much of it, and I honestly believe that his new book is well written.

But there are some differences between his book and a book like TA Water's

Although Waters was a successful actor on Broadway, he was not known as very successful performer of the mental arts
In fact there were many who were far better performers than what he was.

That fact should not take away from him the honor of having lived mentalism a lifetime.
A life he spent on creating some of the best ideas, techniques and effects contained within mentalism.
It should also not be forgotten his many essays with priceless wisdom is more than worth listen to and learn from.

The best of this he gathered as known in Mind, Myth and Magic, the work of more than eight hundred pages, as there is every reason to classify as a gigantic magnum opus.

To my knowledge (again I have not read the book) has Looch collected absolutely everything of what he has conferred through a ten-year period, and as I understand it, mainly closeup material.
In addition, a series of essays that I hear is very well written.

Although Looch's efforts are commendable, there are many who have done the same as him, and far more (no one mentioned and no one forgotten) without bombastic to call his work neither exceptional or near characteristic of a magnum opus

These were my thoughts when I asked you the original question

Thanks again.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Todd and Atlas:

If both of you agree that The Black Project is a fine book, even a signature contribution, I say Good for Looch.

We may be quibbling about the current referent for a Latin term, and I am aware that definitions for terms can change over time as communities gradually use a term differently. I am okay with that, but I have some anxiety about what could be (however unlikely) the casual debasement of a once-great term in the promotion of a friend's book. For a long time, ALL of us on the Café have seen unspeakable hype attached to new products and, more recently, we have witnessed the organized campaigns by networks of people to stack the votes for "best of the year" awards. (Please assure me that is not the next move in this project's support.)

The one sentence extracted from the OED definition is useful, but words mean what they mean in communities of discourse. The academy generally employs the term "magnum opus" in the more restrictive sense of a very great, watershed, pioneering book. That is usually an evaluation made by a whole community of scholars and other thinkers, after reflecting over time; a consensus. (I am aware of no precedent for one or two people unilaterally awarding that distinction to any book before it has even been published and distributed.)

If all one really means by the accolade is that they think it is a wonderful book, I can live with that. If all one means is that a book is a writer's best to date, then one is free I suppose to refer to it as the writer's "opus"--at least until he or she writes something better. In my own career in higher education, I occasionally heard a colleague say, of someone's new book, that may be his or her "opus." No one ever attached "magnum" at the front end. So, in this case also, "magnum" may be a premature stretch.

Nevertheless, I do hope that this book achieves every success it deserves.

George
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18659 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You do know this is called The Black Project don't you? The magnum opus was just a term Todd used...
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Profile of Twisted Mentat
Why talk in detail about other performers and their achievements? I do not understand it.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1873 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Sven: you approached me about the book and then approached Looch. You say that he approached you, which I believe is not actually what happened.

George: I am using the term literally and in its literal meaning, it is his magnum opus.

None of this actually matters; however, since my neologism was to make a Latin expression out of Looch's name in a tongue in cheek fashion. The bottom line is this: it's a great book and a great achievement, with material and insights honed over years of performance. Folks are free to purchase or not. If you want great material that is fresh, compelling and road tested, I highly recommend it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Magnum Opus Loochus - The Black Project (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL