The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Summer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It's been very hot and dry this year. Yesterday it was 34C (93F)--which is unusually hot for us.

As a city dweller, it's been really nice, but there are over 50 wildfires out of control in the boreal forest, including one worrisome fire only 15km from Jasper.

When the wind is right, the whole world smells like distant barbecue. Saskatchewan and British Columbia have been similarly hot, with even more fires in Saskatchewan; several First Nations communities have been evacuated.

Love to see some rain. We had below-average snowpack over winter, and very little rain in spring and early summer.

How's the weather where you live?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
We've been getting the smoke from the Canadian wildfires down here in Colorado. We've had an unusual patch of overcast and rainy days. Quite a change from 3 years ago when drought was threatening water rationing and two years when we had spate of some of the worst wildfires in history of the state.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Still in severe drought conditions, though it actually rained a little bit yesterday. The weather's going from triple digit heat to cool spring day and back again. Sometimes in the course of a day or two. (I notice some people tend to get sick when conditions change that fast.) Anyway, quite crazy, but I'm hoping the El Niño will stick around and give us a very snowy winter- a great deal of water comes from California's snow pack, and last year we really didn't have much of one at all.

(Now we just have to get our aquaducts and reservoir system up to par to take advantage of that water if it comes.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
The northeast US is getting drenched and temps are below normal. With a freezing past winter and horribly wet cold summer I feel bad for the school kids here as they are getting a horrible summer.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Still in severe drought conditions, though it actually rained a little bit yesterday. The weather's going from triple digit heat to cool spring day and back again. Sometimes in the course of a day or two. (I notice some people tend to get sick when conditions change that fast.) Anyway, quite crazy, but I'm hoping the El Niño will stick around and give us a very snowy winter- a great deal of water comes from California's snow pack, and last year we really didn't have much of one at all.

(Now we just have to get our aquaducts and reservoir system up to par to take advantage of that water if it comes.)

As you note: the snow's more important than the rain.

There are glaciers in the Sierra Nevada that are at 20% of their normal volume; it will take decades of average snowfall to restore them.

I wish that there were some way we could have trucked snow from the Northeast to California the last few Winters; that'd've been a big help.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, imgic wrote:
We've been getting the smoke from the Canadian wildfires down here in Colorado. We've had an unusual patch of overcast and rainy days. Quite a change from 3 years ago when drought was threatening water rationing and two years when we had spate of some of the worst wildfires in history of the state.

Please keep the smoke in Boulder, Colorado Springs wants none of it!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Getting back to Magnus' question: it's been generally cooler than normal here in Southern California: mid-70s this week, which is about 10 degrees F lower than normal.

But still no measurable rain, alas. Lots of humidity (50%+), but no rain.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
We've been up and down a lot here in Utah.

Started with a much wetter than normal spring and early summer. Then we had some really hot weeks with multiple days hitting 100 and now it's cooled off again with more intermittent rain. A bit unusual.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

There are glaciers in the Sierra Nevada that are at 20% of their normal volume; it will take decades of average snowfall to restore them.

I wish that there were some way we could have trucked snow from the Northeast to California the last few Winters; that'd've been a big help.

I know at least one person suggesting converting some of the oil pipelines that run across the country so they can carry water from the flooded East coast over to the West coast. I don't think there's enough profit to be made in transporting water like that for it to be a viable solution... yet.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

I know at least one person suggesting converting some of the oil pipelines that run across the country so they can carry water from the flooded East coast over to the West coast. I don't think there's enough profit to be made in transporting water like that for it to be a viable solution... yet.

It's just a bad idea. Look at the failed water-transfer projects from the Soviet Union. You take a degraded ecosystem, and try to fix it by degrading a second one. The final result is that both are worse than before you started.

Sensible local management seems greatly preferable.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
When will de-salinization become a viable solution?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, rockwall wrote:

Not until new technological break through occurs. While in SoCal a few months back heard that San Diego is opening huge $1+ Billion desalination plant and it's only going to provide a very small percentage (about 5% if I remember) of their needs. Plus there's ecological impact with the process.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, imgic wrote:

Please keep the smoke in Boulder, Colorado Springs wants none of it!

Only if you all promise to keep your tumbleweed a down south. Was in Springs not too long ago and darn things were all over the place.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here in NYC, the pattern is the same as it's been the last eight or nine years or so: we've gone from four seasons to two--winter followed by summer,
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Another hot and smoky weekend in northern Alberta. Come on rain!
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Here in the midwest it seems to rain at least every other day and when its not raining the humidity makes it miserable. Not a normal Chicago summer.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Where I live, it's a bit smoggy due to the smoke blowing in from Canada. It's been clearer the last two days so I hope that's a sign that things are better up north.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, rockwall wrote:

Not until new technological break through occurs. While in SoCal a few months back heard that San Diego is opening huge $1+ Billion desalination plant and it's only going to provide a very small percentage (about 5% if I remember) of their needs. Plus there's ecological impact with the process.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/h......ory.html

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - The slumbering desalination plant that rests off the Ventura Freeway in a seedy area called the Funk Zone might one day be the answer to this coastal city's desperate need for water.

Desalination, which is used from Israel to Australia, isn’t new. The United States has at least 200 plants, including nearly 150 in Florida that produce more than 500 million gallons of fresh water each day.

In California, where cities are increasingly desperate as the drought drags into its fourth year, 21 plants are operating, and 17 are proposed, according to the Pacific Institute, a research group based in Oakland. San Diego is putting the finishing touches on a $1 billion plant, which will be the largest in the Western Hemisphere.

In Santa Barbara, officials are hoping to restart their plant next year so it can provide the city with 30 percent of its water supply by 2017. A pipe would extend three-quarters of a mile into the Pacific Ocean and draw in about 7 million gallons a day.

[More at the link]
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Where I live, it's a bit smoggy due to the smoke blowing in from Canada. It's been clearer the last two days so I hope that's a sign that things are better up north.

Wow, that first statement leaves so many openings. Smile But I am trying to be good. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Summer? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL