The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Leon's Floating card trick (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
493 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Hi community,

I was also lucky to watch the video in advance and here are my 2 cent:

Floating Card Trick
Mobile set-up section: Leon shares his method of carrying the thread & wax and how to set-up the thread for the effect. You also learn his method of strip the thread very fast & easy -> nice ideas & well thought out hook up
You will also learn a second hook-up as kind of backup if your first thread breaks. It’s very clever and Leon teaches you how to get into the second hook-up without raising too much suspicion.

After the set-up section you will learn several different spinning, tossing, catching & around the body moves… man, I watched several hummingbird card videos but this one is imo the best & detailed video I’ve seen so far. Leon teaches so many moves & subtleties that everybody should be able to find his/her preferred methods. Later in the video he also teaches how to combine the moves to a full routine… For me a little downside was the teaching of the hoops. He does a good job but personally I would have liked a slow-motion video part of the hoop section to get a better idea of all the necessary moves. 10/10

The next part is the teaching of 4 effects:

- PK pen: nice basic routine without any animation part
- Double floating card: holy ****! Looks really nice like hummingbird card on steroids or ballet with two playing cards Smile but I’m not sure if I will ever give it a try because you have to manage lots of simultaneously and I’m not sure if I’m not too old for that kind of stuff Smile Smile Smile

- Haunted deck: also nice idea – reminds me of Jon LeClair’s haunted deck but with non-elastic thread
- Cap & Glass: haven’t seen something like this before… great idea/routine. Basically you just see a cap jumping out of a glass but Leon repeats & alters the sequence 5 times.

The video ends with an interesting interview part.

Highly recommended!!! Especially for this price!!!

Cheers
Nikki
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
TheTrickman
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TheTrickman
Hello everyone,

I've had this download for a little over a week now and have taken the time to watch it a few times before I posted my thoughts on it.

What initial attracted me to this project was a video was sent to me by a friend which was the bonus effect called "the Pyramid" I immediately contacted Leon to tell him how much I liked it and it still is the number 1 effect for me on the whole download.

The hummercard

The hummer card is an effect I always liked the look of but always thought it was a "for youtube" effect. Throughout this download Leon teaches a practical set up which is excellently presented in concise detail, covering everything you need to know to make this look great.
Leon is the best I've personally seen with a hummercard and if you want to learn it then you might as well learn it from someone who has very obviously spent a long time mastering it.
I'm not so convinced with the double hummer taught on this. Now, don't get me wrong it looks amazing and would be perfect as video or segment in a promo but I personally would never consider it when working a gig.

Both the PK Pen and the haunted deck are practical effects that one could certainly use at any point in a set and in any environment where IT can be used.

Finally the Pyramid....I love it. Seeing the effect I immediately knew that if it was practical it would be something I would love to work. The hook up Leon teaches over this hour long video is certainly that and I cannot wait to get some practice in and start perform this for my audiences.

So as a round up I'll just say to have a look at the demo videos on his website and if you want to be able to do what is displayed on there then go ahead and buy it. It is well shot and very well taught. Great work Leon you should be proud of what you have created.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2421 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Highly recommended!!! I also got to see this video and just love it. Never did the floating card effect because I allwasy thought it was way over done in magic shops. But he goes over everythng from start to finish. really good info for I.T work. This is crazy cool. I will now start to work on this floating card effect.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Maxy
The Pyramid trick=Cap and Cups (just different names for same trick)
Thanks for Leon to give me a chance to watch this video in advance.
I'm happy my review featured as official product description. Please note I'm not affiliated , just I gave my honest opinion to give you glimpse about what to expect in this video.

Quote:
On Jul 14, 2015, floatingcardtrick wrote:
Cap and Cups Routine Live:
https://youtu.be/5yPmFQwlWbw

You floored those skeptical spectators Smile
It is proof of my vision about this effect and how it is strong.

Regards
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
I was also lucky to receive a copy of his early and it is phenomenal. A little background on my experience level: I have done very very very little thread work at all. The most I have ever done is use loops. However, this may change my mind. The single floating card is great, but I personally like the double floating card even more. The double floating card however, will take a bit of practice, like many things in magic, but I believe it will be well worth it. I also enjoyed the balancing pen effect and the cap and cup effect (I liked the cap effect more though.) Everything on here is taught in great detail and is easy to understand, even if you have little experience. All in all, this is a great thing to get, whether you have any thread experience or not.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I received a review copy of this as well.

At my current gig I float cards/coins/rings/room-keys about 15 hours a week, as part of my draw, so when I received this I was unsure how I would react.
Houdini's, Penguin, and many other companies have their take on this effect and I have seen them all.

So this take on the effect:
Video- The video is done well, it is easy to see and he uses string to make the lines visible.
It is shot in HD, with mood lighting, and will be easy to follow.
Only real downside is that it does not use visible string for every explanation.

Audio- The audio is solid until the cap and glass effect, then it gets grainy.

Teaching- Leon knows his subject, and he takes it slow and deliberate in his teaching. It is easy to follow.

Effects- I personally liked the double card and Cap and glass effects the most.
Leon spends time covering a lot of tips, and it is the tips that will make this worthy of purchase.
Many, many magicians start their levitation path with the floating card.
It is easy to master, and lends itself to lead into more effects.

Sure, many will say, "It's a string!" as I get it daily; but it will be how you handle it that determines if they are still amazed or not.
This, as taught, can be done by connecting to another item on the fly, or flying through a hoop.

I personally always hand it to them when they say it, never changing the momentum.
When they hand it back, I immediately take it gently and toss it as to get them to wonder how it can be so quickly flown after examination.
This does the trick 95% of the time.

A tip too; if they say "It's string!", they do not actually know for sure. They are trying to get a reaction.
I've had enough magicians and hobbyists stop, and they never feel the need to yell out that they know the trick.
They will look at you with a knowing smile, or explain how they could never get it to work.
Just yelling it out is a sign of needing confirmation.

All in all this is a solid working on the subject.
It has enough tips that you will learn something from it, and the extra effects are done well.

These kind of effects are the ones many magicians will have their own way of doing, developed by playing with it alone over the years.
It is also good for the same magicians to look at how others have done it, in a proven manner.
This way you know what is possible, and different ways of doing things.

For 15$, if you float cards, you should check it out.

Best,
L
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Nice review! BTW, on "Fool us" season 2 episode 2 Penn said "This next trick is done with a piece of thread." Teller did the floating ball then Penn cut the thread. It was epic!
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
cigam4
View Profile
New user
United States
86 Posts

Profile of cigam4
I received the download a few days ago. I really like Leon's spin on the Floating Card Trick. The video is well produced and the quality is nice too. Leon is a great teacher that really knows his craft. The download covers basic to advanced handlings, offering many different subtleties. Good for the novice to advanced performers. If you want to learn The Floating Card Trick or take it to another level, this is for YOU! I also really liked the Cap & Glass effect. Very clever! Congratulations, Leon!

Steven X
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
I got a chance to check this out and I have to say that this is REALLY COOL!!! I've been performing magic for a living for 14 years now and I've always been afraid to work with IT but Leon's teaching is flawless! He goes over everything step by step and the hookup is really easy!! He even teaches you what to do if the thread breaks!! This is a WINNER Leon!! Great job! I highly recommend this!
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
810 Posts

Profile of scott0819
The Pyramid/Cap &Cups routine looks really amazing. They all do but how difficult is that particular routine to pull off?
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
After watching Leon's training video, it makes me want to float out and buy some IT!! ^.^

Title: Floating Card Trick by Leon Mjolnir
Length: 53:02

This is a really great video on floating card effects. Leon teaches you everything that you need to know about invisible thread and floating card effects. He covers different ways to set up the IT, and provides tips on what to do if anything goes wrong. In addition, Leon included a few other effects that you can do with invisible thread. All the effects are very practical, and I am sure they work great in real world. Leon is a great teacher and he explains everything very clearly. I can tell that Leon is well-prepared for this project and has a lot of experience in using IT. Well done, Leon~
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
My Initial Thoughts on Leon's "Floating Card Trick"

So much good has already been said about this teaching video that I had to get it. I would not like to repeat all that has been already said.

After watching the video I would rate this video as very good for its contents, the teaching and explanation. The teaching is simple but very effective. Also the extra added bonus makes this well worth the download price. You get much more than what you paid for. The 'Floating Card Trick' video is, IMO, for all category of performer - from the novice to the more experienced. Leon's teaching takes you step by step from the basics to the more advanced.

I would highly recommend the video download -- For the price one can't go wrong.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1417 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, scott0819 wrote:
The Pyramid/Cap &Cups routine looks really amazing. They all do but how difficult is that particular routine to pull off?

The method itself isn't complicated, but like anything else that's really worth it, you are going to need to commit to focusing on some practice.
It's worth saying to yourself 'Right, this is what I want to master, I'm going to work on JUST THIS. If you commit to structured, regular practice sessions (Perhaps a little each day), you will master it and have something of real value for years to come.

That sort of committing saves you money too, as it keeps you off those pesky magic shop sites... Smile

Leon's Floating Card Trick is available here:

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.......d=146494
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
It's easy if you practice it until it's really easy. Practice, that's the secret. Leon gives you all the tools you need for perfect practice. The rest depends on how bad you want to do this trick.
James

Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, scott0819 wrote:
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
404 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
WOW!
Just downloaded my copy, a steal at £9.99.
The tutorial is awesome and Leon teaches the effects so well. If you are interested in this sort of thing, do not hesitate in getting it.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Totally agreed!
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:

Gonna get this just for this routine. That lady was all over Leon! She couldn't keep her hands off of him. He's da man!
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Just ordered. Will download video to my desktop later since it's such a big file.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2421 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Telling you guys. Jump on this way worth it.
floatingcardtrick
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of floatingcardtrick
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2015, itsmagic wrote:
Quote:

Gonna get this just for this routine. That lady was all over Leon! She couldn't keep her hands off of him. He's da man!

My all time favorite magic creator just posted a comment on my youtube video out of the blue! Lol my magic goals in life have been realized!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Leon's Floating card trick (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL