The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » FISM (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Thommy Ten & Amelie have won first place in mentalism at FISM
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This is a nice version of confab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBptHg9TO8
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Nice tricks.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:
Nice tricks.

Copperfield does confab too with the license plate routine.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
More magicians. Smile
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
541 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
What was their routine?
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
196 Posts

Profile of Zee
I actually have never seen a mentalism fism act. Did they perform blind folded Q&A or something like that?
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Jep, they won with their Q&A Act where she finally finds out the brand of a cigarette thommy smokes (with the smoke suddenly coming out of her(!) mouth!

A truly amazing routine with no visual or verbal cueing at all Smile
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
Javi Noriega
View Profile
New user
Madrid (Spain)
26 Posts

Profile of Javi Noriega
You may have a look at the act here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7LRi6OvrjI
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
That's way cool - love the swing and the dramatic presentation.

Feels like mind reading to me!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2015, Stefan O. wrote:
Jep, they won with their Q&A Act where she finally finds out the brand of a cigarette thommy smokes (with the smoke suddenly coming out of her(!) mouth!

A truly amazing routine with no visual or verbal cueing at all Smile

That seems more like a two person blindfold act than a Q&A - or was there something else?
browneyed
View Profile
Regular user
I could've sworn I had more than
104 Posts

Profile of browneyed
I love seeing newer, much more complex methods to old routines. It might not be the modern future to mentalism that everyone is hoping for but it's a treat for the audience and magicians alike. Effects with multiple levels like that are so much fun.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
So you think new complex methods are better - good luck.
There is no holy grail!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Reminds me of Carnivale series 1 act,very nice.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Love how our new user thinks this is newer more complex cough cough check the classics.
There is no holy grail!
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
Love how our new user thinks this is newer more complex cough cough check the classics.

First you misunderstood what he said, and now you're being condescending. Chill out a little bit.
browneyed
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of browneyed
Truman is right. That effect is in 13 steps but frankly those methods have become near common knowledge. They took a simple classic and made it impossible. I'd like to see you tell me the number of pills in a bottle and the information on the label using the old system.

I have been doing magic for awhile now, I hope I don't receive poor treatment just because I am only recently joining the forum. Everybody has to start somewhere and if every newbie is hated on, then magic as a craft will die out rather quickly. Have compassion and remember that you were in my place at one point too.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
A mentalist with a solid foundation in the art can easily take those methods that are "near common knowledge" and, with the the application of logical disconnects, stagecraft, strong presentation, and performance skills, use them to create extremely powerful and deceptive routines that look like real mind reading.

It's easy, actually, for a skilled professional to completely fool a new mentalist using the exact same methods he thinks he already knows, even convincing the newcomer that those methods weren't used at all. Many times I've fooled even knowledgeable mentalists simply by changing the timing of a simple technique, doing nothing at all when they expect some sort of "move" to be executed.

Trying to become a mentalist without gaining a full mastery of the classics is like trying to become a concert violinist without learning to read music.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Exactly Mr Cassidy. You put it so much more eloquently that I ever could. I never meant to be condescending but I take umbridge when someone comes along and thinks they can just disregard the classics and foundations.

Common knowledge - please!
There is no holy grail!
browneyed
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of browneyed
I have been greatly misunderstood. I in no way believe that anyone should disregard the classics. I have said nothing negative about classic mentalism or anything at all. All I have said is that from what I have seen, the effect they achieved was a modern reworking of a classic technique and I find that refreshing.

Mr. Cassidy has long earned his right to say whatever he wants about any magician but I don't think it is appropriate for random members to judge my mentalism knowledge on nothing but how long I have been on this forum. I did not realize that this forum dictated your level of expertise in any field. I could be one of the most respected magicians in the world and you would never know it because you are so prejudiced as to when I joined as opposed to what actually matters, my talent. This is nothing but blatant hatred towards new members. Had I received this treatment when I actually started magic, I would have given up immediately no matter how much I loved it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » FISM (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL