The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I am now addicted to chess (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I found this site last night: http://en.lichess.org/

So far I really like it. I did hours of training. It's free and fun with lots of levels to choose from!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
I love the fact that I've found a new hobby for life. I can easily see where a person's chess library and set collection could get out of hand. I'm sure the wife will help keep me in "check."

You don't know the half of it. My wife almost killed me when I bought the entire "Yusopov's Chess School" series. I don't collect sets, though - any set with typical Staunton design is fine with me, and in fact I insist on Staunton design (which is the design pretty much all players are used to). If there's anything I hate, it's novelty sets. One friend wanted to play against me and couldn't understand why I didn't want to use his new Star Trek set. Pretty set, obviously very expensive, but not my bag. So many of those sets have problems such as bishops not sufficiently taller or different than the pawns or knights and rooks being *** near the same shape for me to feel comfortable with them. If I can't take off my glasses while playing, the set isn't for me.

Once you get through Polgar's tactics book, here's another one to add: http://www.amazon.com/ChessCafe-Puzzle-B......8690216/ - full of tactical puzzles, but much tougher than Polgar's examples.

When it comes to learning from the greats, you can save a lot of money by figuring out what your natural inclinations on the board are. If you're most comfortable playing like Petrosian or Karpov (positional "boa constrictor" play which leads you to sieze the smallest advantage and squeeze it to death), then don't go out and buy every book you can find on Fischer, Kasparov and Capablanca - one will suffice until you get through it and see if it's changed your style at all. I only tell you this to save you a fortune, because the more you learn the more you will WANT to learn, and you can avoid mistakes I've made by not going mad with your cash / credit card just because everything looks good to you.

I have played through every game played by Fischer, Tal and Kasparov during their title matches as well as hundreds of their other games (when I was where you are now, there was no Internet, we got our latest theory by a famous series of books called Informants), and they're so far above my level and play so differently than my natural inclinations lead me to play that the amount I honestly learned didn't come close to justifying the hundreds I spent on those books. I learned FAR more by studying Karpov and Petrosian, whose styles are the exact opposite of those of Fischer, Tal and Kasparov, and I could have saved countless hours and dollars if I had figured that out before doing what everyone else did by trying to emulate Fischer, Tal and Kasparov.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

One other piece of advice - when buying any chess book, make sure to read the reviews carefully if you ever use a reader like a Kindle or plan to start doing so. There are a lot of books out there which weren't converted into electornic format very well and in many cases the diagrams are either wrong or just don't display well.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
That's some great advice about player styles. I'll keep that in mind.

I do have a kindle, but prefer to do most of my reading the old fashioned way. I did download a couple of pretty good chess games!

Thanks!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Ive lost 14 games in a row because I only have a zottosecond to make my move. It's so frustrating ive given up.

Play a slower time control.

Wow
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Ive lost 14 games in a row because I only have a zottosecond to make my move. It's so frustrating ive given up.

Play a slower time control.

Wow

What wow?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I would avoid studying openings deeply until you become fairly proficient, tactically.

- when I became more concerned with playing good chess moves than with making sure I got my opening played, I improved, considerably.

- I am sure that I overlooked many mistakes made by opponents because of focus on my opening.

Mastering tactical principles I think will make later opening preparation more efficient, and you'll get a broader understanding as to why a given opening works.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
That's some great advice about player styles. I'll keep that in mind.

I do have a kindle, but prefer to do most of my reading the old fashioned way. I did download a couple of pretty good chess games!

Thanks!

You're welcome.

The debate about greatst game ever played is one hot topic, and if you ask 50 different experienced players their opinions you'll get at least 30 different answers. Many say Donald Byrne-Bobby Fischer, the so-called "Game of the Century." Many others say it's the sixth game of the '72 Spassky-Fischer match. My vote is Karpov-Kasparov, game 16, 1985. What Kasparov did to a reigning world champion AS BLACK in that game was beyond amazing. Plus, since I regard Kasparov as the greatest player in the history of the game, I'm willing to take him at his word when he called this game his "supreme schievement."

One of the most interesting games ever, an absolute brilliancy, was Fischer's win as black against Robert Byrne in the 1963/64 U.S. Championship. After Fischer's 21st move, the commentators all thought Byrne was winning, but Byrne resigned because he was the only person (other than Fischer) who saw what was coming. I once read in a Russian book that this was the game that truly got the Soviets nervous about Fischer, and as you know by now, they were right to be.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2015, seneca77 wrote:
Not to hijack Theodore's thread (lots of great advice, BTW), but can anyone recommend a chess app for the Mac that allows me to play correspondence chess. I don't need a high powered chess engine. I don't need a chess engine at all, actually, as I don't want to play the computer. I just want a platform that will allow me to record moves against a human opponent. I'm running Mavericks, BTW.

Thanks!

- Bob

If all you want is to record your games, there are a number of free pgn (Portable Game Notation) editors that will work just fine. I'm not sure which are best for Mac, but there are plenty available.

If you want a more powerful (but still free) solution, I recommend SCID (Shane's Chess Information Database). You can enter and examine any game you'd like, and you can organize all your games in a database. More than that, you can download external databases of games for study (pgn notation, again) and if you're really into deep analysis, you can run an analysis engine (e.g. Stockfish is excellent, very strong and free).

SCID is at scid.sourceforge.net

Oddly, the sourceforge site is down as I type this. Hopefully the whole system will be up and running soon.

John

Sourceforge.net is up and running again. Anyone who wishes to check out a good chess database for storing, analyzing and studying games might want to check out SCID. I use it all the time.

http://scid.sourceforge.net/
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
For you mobile guys, check out Chess With Friends on google play store.
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
105 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:

One of the most interesting games ever, an absolute brilliancy, was Fischer's win as black against Robert Byrne in the 1963/64 U.S. Championship. After Fischer's 21st move, the commentators all thought Byrne was winning, but Byrne resigned because he was the only person (other than Fischer) who saw what was coming. I once read in a Russian book that this was the game that truly got the Soviets nervous about Fischer, and as you know by now, they were right to be.

I used to be a competitive chess player. Growing up, Fischer was my hero. Thanks for the review of this game. It makes me want to look it up. BTW, do you know about the Fischer movie coming out in Sept 2015, 'Pawn Sacrifice.'
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 26, 2015, BobMillerMAGIC! wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:

I used to be a competitive chess player. Growing up, Fischer was my hero. Thanks for the review of this game. It makes me want to look it up. BTW, do you know about the Fischer movie coming out in Sept 2015, 'Pawn Sacrifice.'

By all means look up that game. The combination that Byrne saw, the one which would have won the game if he had not resigned before Fischer got a chance to play it (BTW, Fischer used the words "bitterly disappointed" in reaction to Byrne's resignation) is of such depth that every other grandmaster watching the game missed it.

And yes, I know of the movie. Speaking of "bitterly disappointed," I'm bitterly disappointed that Tobey Maguire is playing Fischer. Leaving aside the fact that he should stick to ruining superhero movies instead of branching out and ruining other movies, Maguire is the size of a junior high school student. Fischer was an athletic 6'2", towered over most of his contemporaries and by their own admission intimidated them physically. This is a pretty important part of Fischer's story, and it won't be part of the movie - especially since Boris Spassky will be played by Liev Schrieber (who could throw Maguire through a concrete wall without breaking a sweat).

However, my plans to skip the movie out of disgust went down the drain as soon as I learned that Schrieber would play Spassky. I'm a big fan of his work, not just with CSI and Ray Donovan, but also the work he did in Salt. I speak Russian and was impressed with his (he has Russian roots), so he seems a perfect choice to play Spassky (even if he is a bit more intimidating than Spassky himself). I've seen so many actors butcher Russian to the point of turning my stomach (Mark Harmon, Chris O'Donnell, Clint Eastwood, Sidney Poitier, Bruce Willis and so on) that I'll watch almost any movie featuring an actor I know can handle the language well.

Anyway, back to R. Byrne-Fischer, if you find the game and can't figure out why Byrne resigned, let me know and I'll type up the combination in whichever notation you prefer. I never would have seen it myself, but I certainly know it by heart now. Many consider D. Byrne-Fischer to be Bobby's crowning achievement (especially since it involves a queen sacrfice by a 13 year-old), but I am far more impressed by R. Byrne-Fischer.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've always thought that Brad Darrach's book, "Bobby Fischer vs. the Rest of the World" would have made a great movie. I'm assuming "Pawn Sacrifice" will be different/different source material?

At first blush, I like the idea of Tobey M. as Fischer. Height issues are among the easiest for filmmakers to deal with, and I think Maguire brings other characteristics that make him (for me) a very interesting choice for the role.

The proof will be in the pudding, of course.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

I've been pleasantly surprised before. As an example, I grew up reading Ludlum novels and scoffed (it would be more accurate to say that I was outraged and disgusted) at the idea of Matt Damon playing Jason Bourne. Boy, was I wrong about that - he was great. I find it hard to believe, however, that Maguire is going to surprise me. I think less than nothing of him as an actor (whereas in Damon's case, at least I liked him, even if I thought his casting as Bourne was a joke). Still, I've been wrong before, so I'll keep an open mind to the best of my ability.

As for the height issue, I don't think Hollywood plans to address it at all. I know they can do some amazing things (the guy who played Bane in the most recent Batman movie is 5'9"), but too few people know enough about Fischer to the point where I'd expect Hollywood to care.

I've read Darrach's book, it was great. I'm not proud of this, but I borrowed it from the library years ago and liked it so much that I told them I lost it and paid to replace it (there was no Amazon back then and I couldn't find it in bookstores). I did the same with Svetozar Gligoric's book on the 1972 match.

But getting back to Hollywood, I'd bet anything that they plan to blow off the height issue entirely. I've always been disgusted with the cavalier attitude Hollywood has towards chess accuracy. I watched an episode of Criminal Minds where Reid defined Zugzwang as the point where you have to decide whether to continue or resign (you know, as if that only happens on a particular move). I saw an episode of CSI where they described the non-existent Osterlitz Ending as "The Holy Grail of chess," a position that a championship-level opponent is just supposed to walk into so that the protagonist can deliver a flashy checkmate instead of playing the mate in one available to him earlier. I've lost count of the times where I've seen the king and queen in the wrong starting positions, a dark square in the right corner for White, and so on. As such, I find it hard to believe that they're going to say "Whoa, wait - Fischer was a half a foot taller than Spassky, we have to do something about this."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I am now addicted to chess (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL