The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First Paid Gig for a Birthday Party (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
I have already performed quite a few times for elderly homes/assisted living centers, and other facilities free-of-charge, but have never charged anyone to perform magic.

Earlier in the year, I landed a gig for a nine-year-old's birthday party, and I was offered $100 for a 40 minute parlour-style show.

I accepted the offer, and have been preparing ever since.

Before this gig, I was gearing most of my repertoire and patter towards adults. The gig forced me to evolve my act, and I bought and learned many (of what I consider) visual and engaging tricks.

I performed (in order):

Professor's Nightmare (w/ pop knot ending)

Chop Cup (Dan Tong's routine)

Sponge Balls (fully original patter)

Borrowed Ring and String (Diamond Jim Tyler routine)

Intricate Web of Distraction (Pop Haydn's version of the Color-Changing Knives)

Cannibal Kings (Michael Ammar)

Emergency Card (Danny Archer)

Linking Rings (Messado Rings with Pop Haydn's routine)

Six Card Trick (Pop Haydn)

Fast and Loose (as a kicker/encore)

--

Even though I want to gear myself mainly towards adults or mixed audiences in the future, I think performing for kids has made me significantly more well-rounded.

Additionally, the kids and adults, who numbered around 25-30, loved it.

Many of the kids were around nine years old, and I had read several threads on the Café that warned about performing for this age group, saying they were very skeptical and wouldn't hesitate to call out the secret of a trick.

I observed no such thing. All of the kids were exceptionally well behaved, and I had no issues with audience management whatsoever. Nobody seemed to ever lose interest during the act. I'm not sure why my experience was so different from others at the Café in that regard.

I was told afterwards by one of the parents that I had a great persona and stage presence, and that she imprinted on me and my personality even more than my tricks, even though she thought the tricks were great.

I think many performers (especially those who want to make magic their career like myself) whose repertoires are geared towards adults should try to perform for kids once in a while. It has taught me a whole lot.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

~ Anand
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Well done. A great start.

One thing I will say for the future. You hope to concentrate on more adult and family events. They are great fun. But the economic fact is that kids shows are easier to get, and every time you do a show you improve your showmanship. Each one improves you. So now that you have got off to a flying start, keep up the good work and do some more.

Also, nine year olds are not a tough audience if you treat them as people. Treat them as pre-schoolers like many kids magicians do and they will tear you apart. It seems as if you got it exactly right, Anand.

Good luck on the journey.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Well done. A great start.

One thing I will say for the future. You hope to concentrate on more adult and family events. They are great fun. But the economic fact is that kids shows are easier to get, and every time you do a show you improve your showmanship. Each one improves you. So now that you have got off to a flying start, keep up the good work and do some more.

Also, nine year olds are not a tough audience if you treat them as people. Treat them as pre-schoolers like many kids magicians do and they will tear you apart. It seems as if you got it exactly right, Anand.

Good luck on the journey.

Thank you Tony!

I think I will definitely do kids shows in the future. They might not be what I want to pour all of my focus into, but I will certainly use them as a supplement and opportunities for growth, no doubt.

:)
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Kudos Anand! I too prefer working with adults, but I also love performing for kids. They appreciate the magic on a whole different level. Keep up the good work.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, MichaelCGM wrote:
Kudos Anand! I too prefer working with adults, but I also love performing for kids. They appreciate the magic on a whole different level. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Michael!
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
I don't have much to add here, except to welcome you into this field. Good luck, and make a ton, buddy.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, The Great Zucchini wrote:
I don't have much to add here, except to welcome you into this field. Good luck, and make a ton, buddy.

Thank you!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Well done, Anand! It sound like you're a natural and confident performer, and that your onstage personality is an added bonus.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Well done, Anand! It sound like you're a natural and confident performer, and that your onstage personality is an added bonus.

I appreciate that, Arthur, thank you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » First Paid Gig for a Birthday Party (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL