The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How David Regal almost kept me from going to Ireland (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
So, my wife and I leave for Ireland tomorrow for vacation. We've been looking forward to it for some time as we've never been. We start packing today and I decide it's time to gather up my passport but can't seem to find it where we normally keep it. My wife has hers but I can't find mine. We start looking everywhere, going through luggage from our last trip, searching all our bedroom dresser drawers, my office drawers, my filing cabinet. Last time I used it for a trip was last summer and we're racking our brains trying to figure where I might have put it.

I am really, really worried now that I'm not going to be able to find it and our trip will either be delayed by several days or cancelled.

I start going through every drawer in my office where I've got LOTS of magic tricks and DVD's stored. I come across Passport by David Regal and take out the box and open it up. Now, with this trick David provides a phony passport but says you can also use your own. Sure enough, while playing with it, I stuck my own passport in there to practice with and then put it away and forgot all about it.

I nearly had a heart attack!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Enjoy your trip and visit Cohb,County Cork in the south of Ireland, if possible.

I thought it was going to be a Jewish angle or you spent your loot on his latest project.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Gregor Von G.
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Gregor Von G.
What a coincidence!
I travelled Ireland first time in my 20s, in 1998, for a total of 5 months, and I will go to Cork for a week from 10th to 16th of august to visit a friend of mine who lives there.
If it is the first time that you go to Ireland I'm sure that there will be a lot of things that will enchant you!
I hope you enjoy your trip.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Failte, Rockwall.

We are having mixed weather here. Last summer we got a warm and dry spell but you are out of luck this time around. However the place is looking green for you and I hope you have a great stay.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Devious - We are flying into Shannon and will be travelling counter-clockwise through the southern end and over to Dublin before returning to Shannon to fly out. We'll be in Cork by the weekend.

Tony - Yes, my wife checked the weather and it looks like it'll be raining nearly every day! We went shopping yesterday and picked up a couple raincoats. We thought it would be the dry season but we'll enjoy it no matter what it throws our way!

Thanks for the well wishes. I think my heart rate has finally returned to normal.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2785 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Have a good safe trip.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
If you like this sort of thing, try and visit Newgrange. It is part of a UNESCO site near Dublin. You can travel there on your own if it is on your way, or you can take a bus tour to there from Dublin. It was one of the coolest things I saw when I was in Ireland.

http://www.newgrange.com/

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/659
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, rockwall wrote:
We thought it would be the dry season but we'll enjoy it no matter what it throws our way!

The dry season is May/June and September. The summer weather is generally what we call 'soft'. Gentle rain interspaced with real rain, soft sea breezes, and temperatures in the high teens. Lovely weather if you've packed a cap.

I am sure you have an itinerary well planned. But if you are looking for inspiration, here are some suggestions.

Near Shannon is Bunratty castle and folk park which is outstanding. They have a medieval banquet in the castle every night which is fun. They also have banquets in nearby Knappogue and Dunguaire Castles. The Burren is a unique landscape of exposed limestone forty minutes drive from the airport. Check out Ailwee or Doolin Cave and the Cliffs of Moher.

Galway city and the nearby Connemara is worth a look. Heading south you could stop in Cahir Castle and nearby Swiss Cottage (Tipperary) or Lismore Castle. Or Lough Gur, with a stone circle older than Stonehenge. In Cork check out Blarney, and a visit to Kinsale is always worth while. A beautiful village with the best food in the country. The gourmet capital. Cobh, where the Titanic set out from, is also interesting. Then on your way to Waterford stop at the Mahon Falls (it will be signposted) for a magnificent walk in the mountains. Heading up towards Dublin take a few hours for Glendalough in Wicklow for ancient monastic ruins and the best scenery. And then visit Powerscourt House to see how our masters lived until we copped on and threw them out.

And bring a towel. You will get wet every time you leae the car.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Thanks for all the suggestions Tony. We have several things we want to see but I'll definitely attempt several of your suggestions. We're not totally booked by any stretch

Balduci, it's high on my list!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5968 Posts

Profile of motown
I've only been to Ireland once, Dublin. Some of the friendliest people I've ever encountered. I love their sense of humor when it comes to the Brits.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Regal is a dear friend of mine I shall alert him to his evil ways and this thread.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Visited the cliffs of moher today and ran into Joachim Gauck along with a fairly large security contingent.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1183 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Visited the cliffs of moher today...

Don't you mean..."The Cliffs of Insanity!"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Got back late last night from a fantastic trip. I'll be dropping my lawsuit against David. Smile

What a lovely country and wonderful people. We had a fantastic time and just missed a few things that we would have liked to have gotten to.

I had never heard of the Skellig Islands before travelling to Ireland but wish I had. To go out to the main island requires reservations in advance and we would have really loved to have hiked to the top of them along steps carved in the stone by sixth century monks who lived there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig_Islands

The monks monastary, made out of rocks from the island and near the top of the lower peak is apparantly a location set piece for the new Star Wars movie.

I also discovered that you need to get to Newgrange early to make reservations for your tour. We didn't get to make the tour of Newgrange but we did of Knowth which is close by and actually possibly more impressive in some ways.

Ruins of castles and abbey's around every corner in Ireland!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1365 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Great story. I'm sure David Regal will appreciate it! Very funny (in retrospect). Lynn
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Glad you enjoyed it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How David Regal almost kept me from going to Ireland (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL