The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » John Metta gave an interesting talk recently. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
In which he explains why it's so difficult for Americans to talk about race. Given the recent events and debates here, I thought I'd link to it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-metta......652.html
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Another joke article from the Huffington Post. That article was actually funny to read. Sorry- but it was even hard to continue reading. Seems the author threw out all the stats about blacks, i.e. children born out of wedlock, children with just one parent, black on black killings etc...

To funny....
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
The article was so ridiculous, I felt bad for the author...for about thirty seconds.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
So far we have one "interesting" and two guffaws. Anyone care to talk about the content of the article. What makes it interesting? What makes it ridiculous?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, EsnRedshirt wrote:
In which he explains why it's so difficult for Americans to talk about race. Given the recent events and debates here, I thought I'd link to it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-metta......652.html

Tried reading it and this popped up over the story:
Quote:
Like what you're reading?
Never miss a thing with the HuffPost Black Voices newsletter!

our intra-species racism gets boring and covers up other problems

This paragraph almost looks hopeful. Out of the mouths of bigots...

Quote:
If I could re-write that story, I'd rewrite it from the perspective of Black America. What if the person wasn't beaten and bloody? What if it wasn't so obvious? What if they were just systematically challenged in a thousand small ways that actually made it easier for you to succeed in life?

Then the author goes on to discuss in terms of "Black" and "White" , pandering to bigots on both sides of the game.

... and in the mean time go enjoy the movie Minions.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

What makes it ridiculous?

If you read the article, this question would be unnecessary.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
I'll bite. Not a bad article, but he does seem to want to lay a lot of the blame at white people's feet. I get where he is coming from and understand the viewpoint. As a white guy, I think he reads too much into the situation, but I don't have the same perspective. What he does not say is the real answer to almost all problems. You have to look at what causes you to be in the situation you're in. My opinion is there is a lot of victimhood in the black community. Rightly or wrongly cause by white people doesn't matter. The power structure is the power structure, you overcome or go around. You don't complain and expect it all to change. Sorry. He also dismisses the gains black have made. He makes vaild points on perceptions and the media. I believe black guys do go to prison more. I think it's more to do with not having money for good lawyers. Also as a proportion of the population, they commit more crimes. I believe they get longer sentences because of crack convictions that should probably be changed.

The points above about single mothers, etc. are valid. Those are demographic changes that have occurred to blacks over the past 40 years. Those changes are often responsible for many of the issues (children of two parent households commit less crime). Whose fault is that?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:

What makes it ridiculous?

If you read the article, this question would be unnecessary.

I did and it is.

The central idea is that racism is experienced, perceived and spoken about differently by white than by black Americans. I find this neither surprising nor outlandish.

And his allocation of blame is surprising and challenging:

Quote:
Here's what I want to say to you: Racism is so deeply embedded in this country not because of the racist right-wing radicals who practice it openly, it exists because of the silence and hurt feelings of liberal America.

That's what I want to say, but really, I can't. I can't say that because I've spent my life not talking about race to White people. In a big way, it's my fault. Racism exists because I, as a Black person, don't challenge you to look at it.

Racism exists because I, not you, am silent.

But I'm caught in the perfect Catch 22, because when I start pointing out racism, I become the Angry Black Person, and the discussion shuts down again. So I'm stuck.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
... is experienced, perceived and spoken about differently by white than ...

The notion of lumping others, creating a "they", makes this discussion difficult.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:

And his allocation of blame is surprising and challenging:

"Racism exists because I, as a Black person, don't challenge you to look at it.

Racism exists because I, not you, am silent."

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Sharpton, Jackson and others have made an industry of doing just this.

I am not challenged to look at racism?

Just everyday.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
My point was that, even here, I see what he's talking about taking place. People bringing up "White privilege" and "white guilt" and instantly saying, "Well, I'm not racist..." Nobody's accusing a specific person of being racist; they're talking generalities, but too many people are offended and cut off the discussion then and there.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
... Nobody's accusing a specific person of being racist; they're talking generalities, but too many people are of...

all about "them"
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
My point was that, even here, I see what he's talking about taking place. People bringing up "White privilege" and "white guilt" and instantly saying, "Well, I'm not racist..." Nobody's accusing a specific person of being racist; they're talking generalities, but too many people are offended and cut off the discussion then and there.

The discussion and arguments are getting old.

People are fatigued by them, including conservative blacks.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
... is experienced, perceived and spoken about differently by white than ...

The notion of lumping others, creating a "they", makes this discussion difficult.

Your categorical denial of the possibility of meaningful grouping is every bit as arbitrary and limiting as Metta's assumption that it is possible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » John Metta gave an interesting talk recently. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL