The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ropes through body (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I thought I posted this here yesterday, but can't find it, perhaps it vanished?

Anyway. I was thinking about ropes through body. alone, it is an okay effect. I was thinking of combining it with something else and various bits of business.

For starters, using a volunteer perfom a cut and restored routine, pass silk through the rope, and then move into through body.

wondering if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or bits of business for this effect?

john
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
John,

You may have posted this yesterday and the staff may have moved it to the ropes section.

I use the ropes through body in shows as a filler if a show is running fast. I tell the audience that I want to reenact the famous Houdini. Then I get a volunteer to play Houdini and do the ropes through body. I am sure this is not a original patter but it works well for me.

Tim
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
There are many versions of rope through body, so I'm not sure which you have. I've used a long rope to some cowboy music and tossed the ends out to pull up a couple of spectators on each end...then I do the bit to music after a comment about "flossing" after dinner...belly flossing...I then use both spectators in a western themed routine involving several tricks with guns and hats...so I use it as an attention getter to set a mood and get the helpers up.

I've also used this version right after doing a sawing (but not in kid's shows)...I used a stooge.

I've used the Jeff Stewart "Miracle" version with short rope sliding vertically up and dow the chest as an "after thought after my cut and restore rope..asking for their input on a "new illusion" I'm learning (as per instructions).

I've used various other short rope versions in conjunction with western themed tricks such as Supreme's "Little Indian," Card in Balloon (sharp shooting), as well as a series of quick visual rope tricks (catching a knot, Serpent rope, Prof. Nightmare...).

Ron Dayton has several wonderful books on this type of rope magic. "Ropes Without End" has a couple great rope thru body effects in it. One called "Single Strand Penetration," and another called "Two and Thru."
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
John,

If you haven't checked it out, there is a great Ropes through Body routine called "Ropes thru Dad" in the "Do the Stuff That's You" books. It is a full routine and the best part is there are no gimmicks. Just two ropes, three volunteers and a routine that packs real small and plays real big!

Sincerely,
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
John:

What type of patter por presentation do you have in mind for this routine? Perhaps we can help you with it. the patter and presentation may give us better suggestions for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Chris Carey's Volume One, Do the Stuff That's YOU! is an excellent book and so is volume two. Both have great routines and patter for kids, family and stage magic shows. I love these two book. Lots of great ideas as well as usable patter.

I am looking at the routine for "Ropes thru Dad"and it is an excellent routine, patter and all!

You also might want to check out Duane Laflin's new Rope thru Body, called Henry Trickadini. It packs flat and plays big. When he demonstrated it at the Kidabra Conference, he sold out of them! Yes, I got one and it is a new twist to the rope through the body.
Dennis Michael
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
BillWonder,
You do tricks with guns? In California? I would almost rather see fire in a kids show then a gun! Woh!
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I cracked up when I was in Chicago not long ago. I walk by a bank that had inscribed on the door, "NO GUNS ALLOWED INSIDE." Along side it was a picture icon of a guy with a gun with the "NO" Symbol over it. I had to wonder what had been happening at that bank....

Usually it's the comedy "Bang" gun with the banner..and of course everyone has a "hand" gun...kinda hard to out law a finger and thumb...I have used a cap gun with older kids on occasion...I see some magic shops carry the break-away gun that could interesting...This IS supposed to be the Wild Wild West....
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Thanks for the ideas thus far. I'm not completely sure of the direction I plan to take, but am in the process of collecting ideas and putting something together.

Although, I do like Harry Trickdini idea.

thanks,

j
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
Can anyone give me a good rope thru body routine? I know one, but I want a better one. Bob Sheets did a good one. Anyway, I plan to use it to lead up to Andrew Mayne's Pocket Sawing in Half.
The great Sandwich!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5329 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You might want to try the Search function. This topic has been discussed a number of times here at the Café. One of the more recent times can be seen at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=9
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
Pavel has a version where you take out your pants. you can do this also with the Bob sheet's Hang'hem high version.

Darío
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ropes through body (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL