The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What do you think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
This is a routine that I put together, and I would appreciate some criticism. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_lEmBlc_I&feature=youtu.be thanks in advance.
Reality is a real killjoy.
bobandjim
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of bobandjim
Hey Zach,

I'm intrigued by this routine. I like the variety of effects that you are able to pull off. I think that is probably the strongest feature of the routine, the amount of different things that happen.

The patter is a good start, and I"m sure the more you perform it, the more good lines you will develop.

The only phase I think is particularly weak is when the coins won't stick together. It seems really strange the way your hands stay together so long. You could do a click pass to simulate putting both coins in your hand and the chinese coin keeps jumping out to your other hand instead. You could do it two or three times to play for laughs. Then you can decide that they will only stick together if they both are silver and do your amazing change of the chinese coin to the silver behind the other silver one. I loved that move!
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
Overall you've got a very intense routine with a lot of things happening, most of which are pretty visual and surprising.
I'd put additional thought into orginazing the routine so that each phase is significally "more magical" or "more impossible" than the last one, and in the end having a sort of jumbo-coin finale. Doesn't have to be a jumbo coin of course, but something completely out of the blue to really throw them away.
Also a lot of times through out the routine, the dirty hand is way suspicious.
You've got tons of great moves, all of which you make invisible, just try to watch the other-hand thing.
Well done.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Thanks for the replies! After re-watching the video, I see what you mean about the hands staying together, and I think I've found a way around it. I'm designing this routine to go in the middle of 2 other tricks, so an extreme finale doesn't seem like it would fit well.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I just made a slightly revised video, so here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE-Ur5WCX_0
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8923 Posts

Profile of funsway
The concept of "affinity" is very acceptable to an audience and your presentation creates anticipations other than just a skill demonstration.

but, somehow, the desired "experience of real magic" seems lacking for me. Not sure why. "Surprise" is not magic. Maybe there is too much surprise and rather than awe and wonder.

Possibly it is the artificiality of the video perspective. Some may be the technical flaws of hand positions that will not be noticed except by magicians.

I am not trying to be over critical and wish to encourage you in your creative efforts.

For me, performance magic is a form of communications. How is your love of magic being communicated?

I will watch for other postings of your efforts.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Thanks. And by all means, be overly critical. That's why I posted it in the first place.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Hey good routine so far. I will add something try relaxing your hands more. If you watch the video you can see your hands are tense. A good case and point is when your hand is to your side. It is clear that your thumb is pressing against something. I'm sure it will come with time as trying to remember a new routine stops the "flow" aspect until you have down. I do have a patter idea that you might give a bit of thought to see if you can make it work. Quantum nonlocality or quantum intanglement I won't go any further because it is a fascinating subject and I would not want to deprive you of the research.
That is a good routine you've got going stick with it, it's looking better each time you post a video. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What do you think? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL