The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I might get to be on the Ellen Show (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
I work for Mattress Firm so I came up with this promotional trick to do at our trade show booths. It ends up that they sponsor Ellen, so a lot of the employees are rooting for me to get on her show.
I was wondering should I send the video directly to her or should I have one of the marketing directors from the company pitch me to her producers? (Its a big company and kind of difficult to get a hold of the right people)
I do plan on having the cards professionally printed instead of using the sharpie, and where I say "replace your mattress every 8 years" I am going to have our replace every 8 logo printed on a blank card.
Also I was super tired in this video seeing as how I had just relocated to Vegas the day before it was shot....I usually perform with more enthusiasm:-)
The effect is a "shuffeled not stirred" type effect so I would appreciate any constructive criticism or suggestions.....Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/jo2hIHXR5_o Smile
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Do both. The more times they hear about you the better your chances of being invited on.

Great job!

Josh London
Josh
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I would work through my employer if I was seeking any opportunity where I would be representing their products or services. Also, I believe you would be well served to have a presentation to share as a demo that includes audience reaction/participation and not just you going through a dry run.
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Thanks josh and that is a really good point about having the audience Charlie. I will try and round up some co-workers at the next meeting and do a new video.
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
I will tell you this from first hand experience of talking with Ellen's Producers... and also hearing from friends nearly the same exact experience I went through.

Be ready for the producers to not like your idea and ask what other trick you have in store. The Ellen team has had so many magicians on the show the past few years and so many ideas have been done.... that they are always looking for "New" and cool ideas. So even if you think this is the trick you want to perform... you need to have backups to pitch them.

I don't want to be too cynical but James Galea already did a very similar trick on the Ellen show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDG1mDCfoBo . The chance that the Ellen Team will choose a similar trick to his would be very slim... but don't let me stop you. I would encourage you to try your best.. but be prepared with multiple ideas in case you do get in touch with the producers. If you want any more heads up you are more than welcome to email me at Steven@StevenBrundagemagic.com or shoot me a call.

Also, After watching your video and doing some thinking.. You need a Hook. Ellen usually goes after viral videos online.. or something real special... Hhhmm.. Give that some thought... If the producers ask you "Why should you be on the show?". What would you say?

Personally I would love to go on Ellen.. but I cut myself off from them for at least the next 2 years by choosing a different show.... not sure if I did the right thing.. but I don't regret a thing.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
May I suggest you try to control your saying, uh. Just place cards down without any verbal grunts. They say is mostly because of nervousness, but it is something that all spokes persons have to learn to control.

Unless Mattress Firm is a regular company that supports and advertises on the Ellen Show, I don't think you can use that patter. Your company would have to by advertising in order for you to use that patter. Also having the company Logo on the cards would not be permitted again unless they are an advertiser connected with the show.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The heading of your post should have been along the lines of "I would like to be on the Ellen Show."

The current heading makes it incorrectly sound like you've somehow already been vetted or have an inside track after trying out.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
The heading of your post should have been along the lines of "I would like to be on the Ellen Show."

The current heading makes it incorrectly sound like you've somehow already been vetted or have an inside track after trying out.

I think every magician wants to get on Ellen! Sadly only a select few can ever make it on.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't think that is anywhere near true.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, this whole thing has disaster written all over it. Employees of a sponsor have no input on getting anyone on a show, don't kid yourself. They don't work directly with the production as they have advertising agencies, and media buy reps that do so on their behalf. There is much, much more involved and this approach could be more damaging than good. Bombarding producers with people pushing for you to get on a show can actually work terribly against you. Benji comes to mind with his ruthless campaign to get on Ellen and the Tonight Show.

There are proper channels for such and many programming and network politics involved. Also knowing the playing field and process makes a huge difference. For example, ask sbrundage. I made one call to get him on Ellen and it was all set, and I believe he spoke to them himself as well, but as he found out, inner politics quickly squashed it from happening.

There's much more to it than meets the eye through typical channels.
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Thanks for all of the info guys. I don't usually say the uh's and ohs so much it is something I have had to work on though. I was ridiculiously tired in this video so it was by no means my best presentation of the effect. I do have other ideas to pitch to her producers as well, but this trick came to mind first because Mattress Firm does reguarly adverstise on her show ALOT just youtube Ellen and Mattress Firm, and all sorts of things will come up. I will be shooting you an email steven.....once again thinks for everyone for sharing their experiecne and insight.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2015, juggling1 wrote:
Thanks for all of the info guys. I don't usually say the uh's and ohs so much it is something I have had to work on though. I was ridiculiously tired in this video so it was by no means my best presentation of the effect. I do have other ideas to pitch to her producers as well, but this trick came to mind first because Mattress Firm does reguarly adverstise on her show ALOT just youtube Ellen and Mattress Firm, and all sorts of things will come up. I will be shooting you an email steven.....once again thinks for everyone for sharing their experiecne and insight.

Based on your chippy response it sounds like you didn't hear a darn thing as to what most people here have said to try to assist you.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
I think what you mean is I didn't respond to your previous negetive comment so your getting butt soar about it. Shame on me for being chipper (sarcasm sarcasm). Your right the world is tuff I guess I should just give up, and go discourage some other inspiring magican on the magic Café because I don't feel good enough about myself.......nope I am going to keep on pushing forward dispite your crapy attitude. Now have a beautiful day theres lots to smile about.

Thanks again to everyone for the pointers and constructive criticisms. Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Tone deaf!

I was actually going super easy on you... I should have been tougher and I apologize.

Mindpro was actually the one who hit the nail on the head:

Quote:
On Jul 17, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Yeah, this whole thing has disaster written all over it. Employees of a sponsor have no input on getting anyone on a show, don't kid yourself. They don't work directly with the production as they have advertising agencies, and media buy reps that do so on their behalf. There is much, much more involved and this approach could be more damaging than good. Bombarding producers with people pushing for you to get on a show can actually work terribly against you. Benji comes to mind with his ruthless campaign to get on Ellen and the Tonight Show.

There are proper channels for such and many programming and network politics involved. Also knowing the playing field and process makes a huge difference. For example, ask sbrundage. I made one call to get him on Ellen and it was all set, and I believe he spoke to them himself as well, but as he found out, inner politics quickly squashed it from happening.

There's much more to it than meets the eye through typical channels.

You have a great day too and please send us a link for the on air broadcast! Smile Smile Smile Smile smile smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I think your bit is good for trade shows and your stores. Ellen Show not sure.

I am card challenged and can do some killer coin magic and play a wailing harmonica.
The video the Ellen staff chose to air, had bad lighting and camera angle while I played the harmonica with my nose.
1:20 on National T. V.
It still gets me "hall cred" with the teens I work with.
This also gave me 45 seconds of material in my stand up act.

I hope it works for you.

Harris
Still too old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Though I agree with what Mindpro said its still not going to stop me from trying. No one ever got anywhere by not trying, learning from their experiences, and then moving forward. If I get on Ellen like my post said I MIGHT do....I will be sure to send you the link. If not you will surely see my name pop up else where because I am good at what I do and not a quitter. If not I am still glad I didn't let your lack of hope stop me from trying. The only failure is not trying, and that I have never been guilty of.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I wouldn't confuse sound advice from myself and others here based on actual experience with what you perceive as "your lack of hope to stop you from trying. Two different things. While the only failure is not trying may be true, so is not learning as much as possible about what you are trying to achieve to best position yourself for what you are seeking to accomplish. But as Saysold1 and sbrundage said, if you are taking offense to the advice and tone offered here, you may have quite a struggle with what's ahead of you if you were to land such an opportunity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I might get to be on the Ellen Show (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL