The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Has anyone tried using Palestinian 20 mils coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Has anyone had any experience using Palestinian 20mils coins? They would appear to be a good contrast coin for half dollars. They are 30.5 mm so just .1 mm smaller than a half dollar and have a hole like a Chinese coin.

The ones I've been looking at on eBay are from 1942, bronze. I don't know what the thickness is like.

Any input welcome.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3986 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
That sounds awesome! Never saw them but might be a great contrast coin! Thanks for mentioning them.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
Just googled it, I didn't even know anything about these coins!
I have four old Israeli "Pruta" coins from 1945, they're silver (at least in color) and quite bigger than half dollars.
I guess I'll have to look for these Palestinian coins next time I visit the flea market, and construct an Israeli-history-lesson routine with them.
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Thanks for the reply Dr Rubinstein, I'm assuming if you've not come across them before in magic then there are probably very few who have.

According to this website (which has pictures) they are also 2.15mm thick, which should be the same as a Kennedy half.

Numista 20 Mils 1942

edit: and thanks Daniel as well, that sounds like it could be an interesting routine.
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
I'd personally love to see such a routine, Daniel.
Remember Quacky.
emagicain
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of emagicain
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, daniel116 wrote:
Just googled it, I didn't even know anything about these coins!
I have four old Israeli "Pruta" coins from 1945, they're silver (at least in color) and quite bigger than half dollars.
I guess I'll have to look for these Palestinian coins next time I visit the flea market, and construct an Israeli-history-lesson routine with them.

Unfortunately I believe it might not be a good idea. Coin (actually, any type of close up magic) routines are short and the patter is fairly concise, thus the message of history lesson won't be transmitted properely. Even worse, regarding this specific subject, unknowledgeable spectators might misinterpret the nature of the "Palestinian" coin. since these forums are about magic, I won't elaborate further, but these are just my thoughts about this...
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Thai 10 baht coin is interesting...

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Just received some 20 mils coins I got off ebay.

I'll put up some pictures/thoughts this evening of how they look compared to half dollars, old English pennies, and how they fit in my half dollar shells.
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Hopefully attached is a small photo showing the 20mils coin between a clad kennedy half, a walking liberty, a barber and a Victorian penny.

Size wise it is very similar to the half dollar, even more so than the English penny. It does fit nicely inside a shell, (I tried with a Schoolcraft walking liberty shell and it was a nice fit diameter wise) the coverage is reasonable, but it seems slightly thicker than a half dollar but this may simply be because it has very right angled edges, whereas half dollars seem rather rounded off.

Sorry about the size of photo, due to the constraints of the upload limits

Click here to view attached image.
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Here's a picture side-on for thickness comparisons. That's the 20 mils flanked by a clad Kennedy and a Barber

Click here to view attached image.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8748 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Sorta like and East African 10cents piece.
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Has anyone tried using Palestinian 20 mils coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL