The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Keeping Dennis Loomis' routines alive for years to come! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Heya Gang!

I posted this over three years ago:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

and it's still true. It's still my favourite routine. And now I'm going to be able to share it with everyone for years to come...

When Dennis passed away, we lost an amazing man and a treasure to the art of magic. He gave us a gift before he left us, though- my favourite magic routine of all time: his working for the Micro Chop Cup. In an attempt to keep it around and to not be lost forever, I've been working on purchasing the rights to it. And now I have! Along with the rights to his Cups and Balls. I'm hoping to have a bunch printed for Magic Live -and then I'll have them on my site!

Here's the Forward I just wrote...

Forward
By Jamie D. Grant

Someone once asked me, "Jamie, if you could only do one magic trick for the rest of your life, which one would it be?" I didn't even have to think about my answer for a single second. "The Dennis Loomis Chop Cup routine. It has a great story, fits in my pocket, and has the greatest audience impact of any effect I perform! I love absolutely everything about it."

Here we are, years later, and my answer hasn't changed; I've performed this routine at every walkaround gig I've ever done. I've performed it for celebrities, heads of state, people on the street, friends, family; I've performed it on television and in person at every chance I get. There's something about it that makes people laugh, yell, and stand in openmouthed wonder. It's real magic.

So it brings me no small amount of joy to be able to keep Dennis' routine alive for generations of magicians to come. I thought about annotating these manuscripts and adding notes on what I changed and altered with regards to the routine, but then I realized that I haven't changed or altered a thing. I leave some parts out (I end on the second final load) and have experimented with the props (I use hackey-sacks sometimes and a pool ball occasionally, hiding the bottom half with back of my hand) but Dennis' writing and explanations don't require elaboration. All they need is for someone to read his priceless words, practice his brilliant moves and concepts, and get lost in the hours of endless joy that they will bring yourself and the people you decide to share them with.

On that note, I'd like to thank Dale Lorzo for helping me acquire the rights to this wonderful work. He has been proof of a something I once heard Eric Evans say at a lecture years ago, and that I have often repeated since. I truly feel it applies to our art and our fellow practitioners in magic, "We're all in this together."

This routine has been the single greatest journey of my magic career. I am beyond excited that I now get to meet you along the way and take you with us.

Jamie D. Grant
Proud Owner of the newly acquired rights to the
Dennis Loomis Routine for the James Riser / Dennis Loomis Micro Chop Cup and the Dennis Loomis Cups and Balls Routine
Vancouver, Canada, 2015
www.SendWonder.com

If you haven't seen it, here's a clip from over 5 years ago when I used to have my Magic Friday review show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ktlWEWIGBU
(the effect starts at 6:30)

I'll know more about the price once I get it printed- and I'll be selling them both together as one book. I'm so excited!

Your pal,

Jamie D. Grant
www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Jamie... Great news!
I have a hard copy of the Loomis Cups and Balls Routine... now it will be cool to have a real hard copy of his Chop Cup Routine.

I will keep an eye on your site for availability.

Thanks,
Bruce
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Fantastic news!
Hey, would it be possible to know where you typically buy the props for the routine?
The hackey-sacks etc. These are not common objects here in Norway:(

Sune!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Denny Loomis was my dear friend from 1960, until he left us. We were close! I was best man at his wedding. We worked together on 'stuff'. From his "Magic in Red and Black", to the Kramien Magic Capades" tours, and on to his school assembly tours for Jack West, it was a wonderful relationship!

Keeping alive Denny's memory was one of the major reasons, that I made it a point to follow up with Denny's and my mutual friend, Dale Lorzo, regarding Denny's Micro Cups
Routine.

BTW, Jamie! --it's "foreword", not "forward"! (hee hee!)

Best wishes!

O
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good for you, Jamie.
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I'm definitely interested, Jamie.

Thanks!

Jim
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Yup. Keep me in the loop, please.

David
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Thanks, guys! I'm thrilled!

And, Dick- thank you SO MUCH for helping me with this!! I couldn't have done it without you!!!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You are more than welcome!

Denny's contributions to the business should not be lost!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
I'm glad to see Dennis' routines will be available again AND that they are in good hands!
Congratulations Jamie!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That is great news!!!! Please keep me in the loop.

Dennis Loomis inspired me greatly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I would love to have all Dennis's articles from MUM in book form.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Looking forward to this Jamie!
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
324 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
I can't wait. I will certainly be getting this.

Tony
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Wonderful news Jamie! Your passion for this is clear, I think it's in safe hands Smile

Bri
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Heya Gang!

Thanks for the kind words! And I just put it up on the site tonight! Hurrah!

http://www.sendwonder.com/collections/al......-routine

$27 - with free shipping anywhere in the world! Plus, you not only get the Chop Cup rouitne, but you'll also get the Dennis Loomis Cups and Balls routine, too!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Ordered!

Thanks Jamie.

Jim
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Ordered! Looking forward to this. Thanks for your dedication.

David
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
What is the size RNT2 cup that you recommend for this routine. It was written for a Riser cup which is no longer made. Is it the RNT2 mini or micro chop?
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
I found it it one of Jamie's old videos. It is Don Alan Mini Chop Cup.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Keeping Dennis Loomis' routines alive for years to come! (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL