The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Interlude (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Hi all, Can anyone tell me were I can purchase the plans for the interlude illusion. That is one of my favourite illusions. Thanks
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Ray Lum
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Ray Lum
Jim Steinmeyer is the man who thought of the "Interlude". The only way you can get is to pay for the royalty to Jim (2500.00) and then ONLY it can be bulit by John Gaughan.
To answer your question, NO there is no plan for it.
The Magical World of Ray Lum

www.themagicofraylum.com

ray@themagicofraylum.com
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
I am unclear on the ethics of illusion construction and use. I have never seen the plans, nor do I know how Mr. Steinmeyer's version works, but I think I can devise a workable method for the effect myself. Is it an effect that is copyrighted or just the method? Would it be unethical to build my own version (which might or might not be the same as the copyrighted one)?
felipão
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of felipão
It is based on the zig zag.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Ray Lum shared the exact information you need to know.

This website has information about illusion ownership and royalties: http://www.magicauction.com/IllusionHotl......ghts.htm

It is a page on the magic auction website. They do not sell ripped off illusions.

Please do not purchase, nor make, illegal illusions. You end up hurting the inventor so they don't want to create new illusions. Also, you end up hurting yourself and your own reputation by performing an inferior version of the original. You could also phsically hurt someone by using a version that is not made properly.

Also, before you make "based on" or "inspired by" illusions, also ask the inventor, to make sure that your idea is different enough to make it new.

As has been said, the Interlude Illusion is not public domain, and you cannot build your own copy. It only has one authorized builder, and royalty fees must be paid to the inventor, by purchasing the illusion through this one builder.

BTW, this question could have also been posted in the Grand Illusions section of the Café.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I suppose you could build your own illusion with that principal and that would be ok since Jim Steinmeyer got the principle off Robert Harbin. Unless he got money for it.
Matt
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2004-07-15 15:42, magic_matt wrote:
I suppose you could build your own illusion with that principal and that would be ok since Jim Steinmeyer got the principal off Robert harbin. Unless he got money for it.
Matt

Hmmm... interesting. So your theory here is that it's okay to STEAL, just as long as someone else did it first?

In any event, Jim Steinmeyer owns the original Harbin book and therefore owns the original rights to produce the Zig Zag illusion itself. He didn't steal anything. Furthermore, modifying the principles used in the Zig Zag to produce a brand new illusion would not violate the Harbin agreement.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
"modifying the principles used in the Zig Zag to produce a brand new illusion would not violate the Harbin agreement"
I guess its fine to build your own built on this princible if you own this book!
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
So if you own somebody's book you have their right to reproduce anthing from that book? Is that right??
Matt
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2004-07-17 08:51, magic_matt wrote:
So if you own somebodies book you have their right to reproduce anthing from that book? is that right??
Matt

There are "legal" rights. Then there are ethical and moral rights. If you are confused about which is which then you need more help than I can offer.

Regarding the Harbin book, Robert Harbin gave specific written permission to the purchasers of his book to reproduce any of the original ilusions contained therein. Steinmeyer owns an original book and has Harbin's permission (albeit posthumous) to reproduce, alter and/or change the Zig Zag illusion. Exactly 500 of the Harbin books were published and the printing plates were destroyed. Harbin expressly stated that he did not want his book ever republished, and the current holders of the copyright have no intention of doing so. The copyright has at least 28 years left before the book enters the public domain. After that, look for the Dover reprint at your local bookstore .

Many - though not all - other authors will specify in their books how they wish the contents to be used (though those wishes may not be legally binding). How each individual treats the authors' wishes depends on their own integrity.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Hmm 28 years till it can hit reprint. I'll still be in my prime. woohoo. Lol
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey Folks,
Once again, Thomas Wayne is correct. "Borrowing" or flat out ripping off Jim Steinmeyer has got to be the WORST decision you would make as a performing magician. Do not be surprised when you learn how small the magic world is. Word travels fast and your reputation will suffer. Not to mention that the finest craftsmen in magic, such as Thomas Wayne will gladly refuse your business no matter how much you want to spend.
Please respect the creators and support their business...or they all may just disappear Smile
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-07-13 13:09, felipão wrote:
It is based on the zig zag.

This comment was just said as an observation, and a lot has been read into it.

Although this may be true (basic method), and there are some similarities, the effect is totally different between the two illusions. Anyone who makes a pirated copy of Interlude is making a pirated copy of Interlude, not a new variation of the Zig Zag. It would not matter if a pirate owned a real copy of Harbin's book or not, when it comes to the Interlude, because it is pretty clear that is Steinmeyer's illusion, not Harbin's.

It is nice to know that Jim Steinmeyer owns a Robert Harbin book, if that is where the inspiration came from.

Quote:
Magic_Matt: I suppose you could build your own illusion with that principal and that would be ok since Jim Steinmeyer got the principal off Robert harbin. Unless he got money for it.
Matt

Matt - have you actually seen both illusions performed, or are you basing your comments off of comments on this thread?

- Donald.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Out of curiosity on the subject...who built the Interlude like illusion Chris Angel does/did. I mean it's the same effect basically. (I could be wrong as I've only seen a video of it once.) Just wondering. ~Tim

Oh and another thing.... What about the IMS tapes with Tony Hassini. He has a video that describes, with measurement, the exact specifications for Interlude. (Kinda sorry excuse for an interlude anyways)
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-07-19 22:28, magictim wrote:
Oh and another thing.... What about the IMS tapes with Tony Hassini. He has a video that describes, with measurement, the exact specifications for Interlude. (Kinda sorry excuse for an interlude anyways)

Well, I can't comment on that video, but I do have another one, Magical Illusions, where Tony Hassini revealed the workings of a MAK Flying Carpet Illusion and a MAK Square Circle Illusion.

I could tell they were MAK props, not his homemade versions, although he was revealing with the intention of teaching you how to make your own homemade versions.

I was quite disappointed that he was revealing methods of commercially built items.

I haven't seen the tape you spoke of, but perhaps he was revealing Jim Sommers' knock off of Interlude, called Thru and Thru.

Perhaps someone knows for sure if Tony had permission to do the reveals that he does. I didn't see it in any credits on my tape.

- Donald.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I don't recall any credits either on the tapes I watched. I didn't know about the thru and thru knock off of interlude....maybe it is one off the tape, although I think it says interlude on the tape box. It is one of the last 5 tapes in the IMS series. My friend has the whole set and it was just something I noticed in there.

Hmm..since first coming upon this thread I've been doing a bit of thinking. Is the interlude just the next Zig Zag? Correct me if I'm wrong (I may be) but no one really has the "rights" to perform/build Zig Zag without the Harbin book, but they do anyways. But it seems now days many people are doing the same to interlude. Just a thought....I had come across another knock off (I think) selling on ebay.

Looks like interlude has truly reached "zig zag status." I was just reading on the grand illusions forum that paul osborne has put out plans. Looks like everyone and thier mother will own one soon......~Tim
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Yup but it could be a different method. But I think Peter Marvey has the best version of interlude....He uses NO boxs...now that is slick.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Does Osborne realy sell Interlude plans if so can some one provide a web link ( I don't see it on his site).
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
The plans were removed from his site. They may not offer them anymore.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Interlude (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL