The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Racism in Calgary leads to violence. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
That family should have curbed their white privilege.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Pleasant to know that a Caucasian family can get a page in the National Post, get a response from the mayor, get relocated, be made national news overnight, get the story reported in Britain, and even get a little publicity from Stormfront for allegations of which the family refuses to provide any specific names. Yes, that is a good example of white privilege. The same and worse happens all the time to Black people, often with the approval of the authorities. They don't get the mayor providing them with a new home.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
More here:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news......children

Shaganappi Village made headlines in May after a Caucasian family claimed they were being harassed by neighbours from other ethnic backgrounds. A dozen residents from a variety of backgrounds have told the Herald that children frequently bully residents of another race, including Caucasian children attacking non-Caucasian.

Many said Caucasian kids have also pushed and sworn at non-Caucasians; some said they believed this was in retaliation, or even after being provoked. All residents indicated the bullying was falling along racial lines.

[A] resident ... said the situation has drastically improved in recent weeks, with more parents supervising at the playground.

Six-year resident Kearns confirmed that violent bullying happens frequently ... But she says the same children who punch and taunt will meticulously help her clean a yard when she offers them a freezie.

"These kids really just need things to keep them out of trouble," said Kearns, who thinks underfunding programming and upkeep creates a self-fulfilling prophecy among the youth.

"Here it's like we're forgotten. And I think it creates a mindset with everybody within the community that poor people are dirty people, [that] poor people are criminals; and it almost ends up becoming true."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, landmark wrote:

The same and worse happens all the time to Black people, often with the approval of the authorities. .

Do tell...
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I guess you've never heard of the KKK. Or Sandra Bland.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Shame on you Landmark. Racism is unacceptable no matter who the perpetrators are.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Where did I say it was acceptable?

Again, you misunderstand the difference between racism and privilege. I was responding to K's comment about privilege.

I am not saying that there are not Black people who do not like whites; I am not saying that there are not Black people who might be sitting at home throwing darts at a dartboard with the word Caucasians; I am not even saying that there have not been incidents where Black people have harmed white people grievously simply because they were white. I was addressing the issue of privilege.

The phrase "white privilege" simply means one thing: there are more benefits to being white in that particular society than being any other color from an institutional point of view.

And the way to test that is simply to ask, "on average, would this person have gotten the same institutional benefit were they not white?" So, this case you brought up is a perfect example. Would the family, the Frances, have gotten the same benefits in this situation were they Black? Would a Black family who was the victim of unnamed racism, racism that occurred largely among teens that was provoked on both sides, be provided with a new house by the government and made news worldwide ?

Now you may disagree with me, but the answer to me is clear: No. Because I hear of Black families facing similar situations all the time, and they do not get new houses from the government or page long articles in the newspapers for the same kinds of behaviors against them.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, landmark wrote:

I guess you've never heard of the KKK. Or Sandra Bland.

Ah yes. The dreaded Klan.

I see reports of their atrocities everyday!

And, what does Sandra Bland have to do with this discussion?
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
As recently as July 18, the Klan held a rally at the state building in Charleston S.C. (and of course, they held the confederate flag) Interestingly, they were opposed by a counter rally of white bikers! Racism is wrong, no matter the color. But it should be noted that racism is more "institutionalized" in the US against Black people through racial profiling (eg 'stop and frisk'), mass incarceration, police terror, etc. Lynn
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, lynnef wrote:

As recently as July 18, the Klan held a rally at the state building in Charleston S.C. (and of course, they held the confederate flag) Interestingly, they were opposed by a counter rally of white bikers! Racism is wrong, no matter the color. But it should be noted that racism is more "institutionalized" in the US against Black people through racial profiling (eg 'stop and frisk'), mass incarceration, police terror, etc. Lynn

"Black officer photographed helping Klan supporter"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/black-of.......3160796
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

And, what does Sandra Bland have to do with this discussion?

Quote:
The same and worse happens all the time to Black people, often with the approval of the authorities.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Back to the Calgary story. This looks like a tempest in a teapot. A subsidized housing community has some internal struggles. They are getting assistance and the locals are hopeful for a resolution. One family is temporarily relocated for the safety of allegedly bullied children, and the neighbours are rallying together.

The headlines try to make this into a "man bites dog" story, but it looks pretty darned mild to me. (I haven't been in the complex in years. It's an old collection in buildings in a decent enough location.)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Racism in Calgary leads to violence. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL