The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents: The Examiner by John Graham (64 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
Griflex
View Profile
New user
North Wales UK
75 Posts

Profile of Griflex
Pre-order yet again..I'll wait to see what people actually receive and review before I take the plunge.
Nat
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Nat
Thanks Janet -- another Paul Harris hit!

Nat

On Jul 22, 2015, PHSIS wrote:
And yes..the marker can be examined too!

Janet Harris
PHP Astonishment Godess. [/quote]
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
VA
202 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Greg Arce wrote:
This looks cool, but I beg to differ with the idea that this is the first signed and examinable newspaper tear: Osterlind has been doing one for years and taught it in one of his DVDs.

But, yes, this looks cool.

Greg

Love PHP. But Yes, I learned a tear like this years ago on Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Volume 4. (best dvd set ever) In his version, it takes 30 seconds to set up, the spectator can sign the whole newspaper and you can immediately hand the paper out but there is a bit of ditching that needs to take place. I would be interested to see the PHP gimmick and what it accomplishes for that price. I won't be buying this one, but it does look clean and I am sure it is very clever.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Think this is typical PHP over engineering.

Nobody needs to have the newspaper handed to them and you want to see a decent sized paper torn.

Still think Geoffrey Durhams is the best I've seen.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Well, very nice indeed, but way over my price budget, and is that marker pen a missile disguised as a marker pen? ,watch out at the airport if you want to take it anywhere,lol.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3725 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
There was a chap on this weeks Penn and Teller Fool Us who did a torn and restored paper routine that he passed out to Penn after he restored it. It fooled them.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
kelleyro
View Profile
New user
Nashville, Tennessee
12 Posts

Profile of kelleyro
I love the newspaper tear but the "setup" is why I don't put it in the show more often (already have enough to set up!) .... if this is really a 30 second setup ... would be really nice!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3375 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Can you use any newspaper for this. I've never seen a news sheet like on the video apart from an advertisement flyer.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
That news paper looks a little small to me?.So can I do that with the Dialy Mail or a standard sized news paper in the UK? please.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2386 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
That news paper looks a little small to me?.So can I do that with the Dialy Mail or a standard sized news paper in the UK? please.

Our tabloids in the UK are a bit deeper, but we do have smaller sizes those with adverts etc in supermarkets or magazines like the national Enquirer so I know it won't be an issue finding papers.

Once I have one of these I'll be checking all this out and will put up a bonus page to save purchasers doing the leg work to find out.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
You guys are perceptive with the size of the marker. I missed that completely the first viewing. It looks just like an ordinary jumbo marker.

This looks really good though.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Nat wrote:

Nat

Janet Harris
PHP Astonishment Godess.

And why, pray tell, would anyone want/need to examine the marker ?

So, having watched the trailer a few times , along with your remarks emphasizing "yes..the marker can be examined too!" that definitely points to the marker having a lot to do with achieving the effect, therefore it would seem that the performer MUST awkwardly hold on to that big honkin' marker the whole time that the paper is being torn and restored to perform this effect. Or can this be done without holding on to that big marker ? Please don't get me wrong ... this looks really nice . I like it. It's clever. There's some fresh thinking going on here ... I guess I can't see holding on to the marker while tearing and restoring the pieces as a natural handling. (Just think about what you would do if you actually were to sign a newspaper ... you'd sign it/initial it and then set the marker down before you proceeded to rip up the paper. ) If it can be done without holding the marker the whole time then I would become much more interested in purchasing this ...
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, David Todd wrote:
Quote:

Nat

Janet Harris
PHP Astonishment Godess.

So, having watched the trailer a few times , along with your remarks emphasizing "yes..the marker can be examined too!" that definitely points to the marker having a lot to do with achieving the effect, therefore it would seem that the performer MUST awkwardly hold on to that big honkin' marker the whole time that the paper is being torn and restored to perform this effect. Or can this be done without holding on to that big marker ? Please don't get me wrong ... this looks really nice . I like it. It's clever. There's some fresh thinking going on here ... I guess I can't see holding on to the marker while tearing and restoring the pieces as a natural handling. (Just think about what you would do if you actually were to sign a newspaper ... you'd sign it/initial it and then set the marker down before you proceeded to rip up the paper. ) If it can be done without holding the marker the whole time then I would become much more interested in purchasing this ...

Yes, you have to tear the paper with the marker in hand, but seriously the marker is not that big, just an ordinary jumbo marker you find at a craft or office supply store.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, itsmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, David Todd wrote:
Quote:

Nat

Janet Harris
PHP Astonishment Godess.

Yes, you have to tear the paper with the marker in hand, but seriously the marker is not that big, just an ordinary jumbo marker you find at a craft or office supply store.

I couldn't agree more with you! The marker doesn't look suspicious at all, just a jumbo marker!

Also, on the note of why would you hand out the marker. I don't think the point is that you hand it out and say "look at this marker" but the fact that you could immediately hand the marker out to sign a playing card or something is great! It's just an extra step that John took to make it a great effect!

The Examiner is a winner!

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1346 Posts

Profile of barts185
"No ditching into shirt pants or jacket" Wherever does it go? Boy that's a big marker! Smile

"Write today's date on the newspaper." There's a newspaper somewhere that doesn't have the date on it?

"Works with any normal newspaper"
Then why did they use one that's obviously a smaller than normal newspaper?

Why does the newspaper he folds up and puts under his arm at the end look SOOOO much bigger than the one that he used for the T&R?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4644 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don't know the method employed but I would think that you could set the marker down during the tearing and then bring it out again when necessary for some logical reason.
What that reason is would depend upon your creativity in making the presentation your own. Always amazes me that so many magicians insist on performing carbon copy presentations.
Now maybe in this case you actually do need to hold it the entire time, but I would be surprised if that were the case.
But my point is rather than saying that you don't like a certain handling, instead try thinking how you could do it that would better suit you.
To me, that's the fun part of creating a unique presentation.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1892 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Yes, that baseball bat of a marker jumped out at me, when first viewing the demo...but the restore looks nice
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of doiron
I'm looking at a jumbo marker right now that I bought in a dollar store - and it's larger than the marker used in the video.

The size of the one used is perfectly acceptable and easily available in many stores.

And watch the video again - the size of the before and after newspaper is exactly the same. And by the way, in my city there are at least two free weekly newspapers that size. I can't believe they're that hard to get but if they are, buy some glue or wire or magnets and use another method.

I'm surprised at the negative comments. Not at the intelligent statements comparing this routine to similar ones, but to the sniping.

I suspect the inventor wanted to restore the newspaper using real magic but failed miserably so he had to resort to trickery.

Imagine!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3375 Posts

Profile of takeachance
We don't have anything like that size of newspaper where I'm from so it is an issue and deal breaker. Don't quite see that as a negative comment, just asking if it has to be that size before buying it, being disappointed when it ends up in the back of a draw.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2386 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, takeachance wrote:
We don't have anything like that size of newspaper where I'm from so it is an issue and deal breaker. Don't quite see that as a negative comment, just asking if it has to be that size before buying it, being disappointed when it ends up in the back of a draw.

Don't just think newspaper we have magazines that size and smaller advert papers.

I'm hoping that normal tabloid will work but we will have to see.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents: The Examiner by John Graham (64 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL