The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents: The Examiner by John Graham (64 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
ArielIllusionist
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ArielIllusionist
Justin Lewis, thanks so much for your post. It really made me think once again about how important and critical is the presentation of illusions and how key it is to draw on people's emotions to get them engaged with the presentation and performer. Then, when the effect occurs, it makes the entire presentation that much more special and the connection meaningful. I discovered this is what many spectators end up remembering. By reading your comments, it made me think of a routine with that caused me to buy "The Examiner." I recently read a magician's comment that made me think more on this. "I normally think of a particular patter/routine for an illusion, once advertised, before I buy it. Based on that, then, I can decide whether or not to buy such an illusion. That keeps me from buying many props or illusions that get shelved."

I appreciate all the comments here.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks for your comments, Justin. Much appreciated, but still waiting for a detailed review re: ease of use, practicality for close-up, angles, etc.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2015, rosariorose9 wrote:
Thanks for your comments, Justin. Much appreciated, but still waiting for a detailed review re: ease of use, practicality for close-up, angles, etc.

No problem bud. Ill have a full review of all of the above in a few days Smile work has been hectic
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, Justin Lewis wrote:

No problem bud. Ill have a full review of all of the above in a few days Smile work has been hectic

Thanks, Justin. Champing at the bit to pull the trigger on this one, but really want some encouragement Smile
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, rosariorose9 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, Justin Lewis wrote:

Thanks, Justin. Champing at the bit to pull the trigger on this one, but really want some encouragement Smile

Hey there. Hopefully I can push you off that fence with this... Watched everything I needed with the teachings and other handlings with examiner. Practiced about an hour which you really do not need to do to get this down. It's easy, and I like that. Sometimes concentrating 100 percent of your energy to what you are saying and how you are saying it makes an effect even better! It is "plug and play" from my view. Not hard at all! The gimmick is very well made. You can't make this! You wouldn't want to spend the time making this even if you could. Angles are great. A performer can get very creative with his story/narrative with an effect like this That is one thing I always liked about newspaper tear effects is the how creative we can be. What kind of message we can deliver and How we deliver that message makes this effect a killer one.

Resets in 30 seconds. Nothing to break. No glue, tape, magnets and wires.... Which many past effects are based on and also are very good. But in my honest opinion, for many this is a huge step forward with newspaper Tear effects. ! I will use this and use it often.
Hope this helps bud! Any questions send me a PM, or better yet call Cole at hocus-Pocus and talk with him about any concerns you may have before buying this!
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
GREAT review, Justin. Thanks a million! Any thoughts on using this close up?
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I received this last week and was very impressed by the video production, instructional detail and quality of the props included. Although I have not put in the time to practice and perform this just yet, I must say that I absolutely love everything about this and found it to be money well spent and worth every penny. The setup is instantaneous and ready for action anywhere and anytime. Especially if you perform the Dry Routine which is my personal preference and the rendition I will be adding to my show. This was evidently well thought out by a professional real world performer on the go and is everything the demo video claims it to be. There are multiple routines taught on the DVD depending on your personal preference and how much extra work you are willing to put in to achieve your desired results. An absolute winner as far as I am concerned and will be a real pleasure to perform as soon as I acquire some tabloid sized newspapers from my local grocery store.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks for the review, rmendez. Much appreciated. Could you 'chime in' on my question re: how close up you would feel comfortable performing this?
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I would feel comfortable performing this in front of my spectator's faces the way I perform a classic bill switch. All of the movements taught on the DVD are motivated and will appear very natural to your spectators if performed properly no matter how close they are watching.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, rmendez wrote:
I would feel comfortable performing this in front of my spectator's faces the way I perform a classic bill switch. All of the movements taught on the DVD are motivated and will appear very natural to your spectators if performed properly no matter how close they are watching.

Terrific! Based on your and Justin's reviews I just ordered it (from Joshua Jay's site). Really looking forward to this one. I love Osterlind's tear, but the apparent ease of setup on this one is a real plus. Thanks again.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, rosariorose9 wrote:
Thanks for the review, rmendez. Much appreciated. Could you 'chime in' on my question re: how close up you would feel comfortable performing this?

Hi bud! I don't think I'll have any problems close up at all Smile pm me if you have queuestions.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2421 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Did this for a party and it killed. Just killed. Love it.
mgshn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of mgshn
Firstly, thanks to the few people, nine pages in, who posted real experiences.

For me, the strength of this effect isn't that the paper can be handed out... why do that? It's that it can be handled *very* freely. That's a bit more difficult with other methods.

Signing the paper is a bit silly and also apparently required for this effect to work. If I were doing it, I would take the approach of having the audience suggest things to make the sheet "even more memorable from a distance."

On first watching, I was a bit bothered not by the size of the marker. As others have mentioned, it's not *that* uncommon. It does look a bit awkward holding it but holding it is motivated once you start tearing because holding the paper prevents you from putting it away.

However, I was bothered by having it uncapped for the entire time it was in play. I'm pretty sure many people who use whiteboards might also be bothered by that. Does anybody, perhaps people who have used The Examiner, know if it's possible to recap the pen after writing on the paper?
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
However, I was bothered by having it uncapped for the entire time it was in play. I'm pretty sure many people who use whiteboards might also be bothered by that. Does anybody, perhaps people who have used The Examiner, know if it's possible to recap the pen after writing on the paper?

I think you ask a very good question there mgshn,after all it is possible that the performer may get his hands covered in ink while doing the moves?.Most people I would say if they had a large marker in there hand and were doing other thing's with there hands and had to hold the pen,surly they would at least put the lid on?.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
750 Posts

Profile of roblane
The lid does need to stay off 'til the restoration is complete
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4643 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2015, roblane wrote:
The lid does need to stay off 'til the restoration is complete

Plus, with the lid on then there really is no apparent reason to keep holding it unless you could find motivation such as using it as a pointer or something.
But without the lid at least it appears that you are going to use it again. I realize you can use it again after the restoration but I think I would explore some way of using it during the tearing as well. Perhaps marking a circle around something to highlight it or even writing an A on one torn piece and a B on another and then claiming that you are going to attach part A to part B. I don't know just thinking out loud, but I would think whatever marks you make could be easily duplicated on the restored paper.
mgshn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of mgshn
Thanks F.S., I try...

Thanks Rob, for answering my question.

I've been partial to Tony Clark's NPT for some time. It's quick to set up, doesn't involve wire, magnets, depleated uranium, or anything besides paper and, spoiler alert, a bit of glue.

(Let me appologize in advance if it's not original with him. He's the guy I bought it from so that's what I call it.)

Now, for $15, I may just have to download the WGM NPT anthology somebody mentioned a few pages back, just to learn even more ways to perform the same effect. It would make for an interesting, OK challanging, show, a series of NPT's using a different method each time.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2015, mgshn wrote:
...Now, for $15, I may just have to download the WGM NPT anthology somebody mentioned a few pages back, just to learn even more ways to perform the same effect. It would make for an interesting, OK challanging, show, a series of NPT's using a different method each time.

Got it (from Joshua Jay) based on that earlier post, and it's terrific. Great buy, particularly at the price. Multiple handlings and, of course Osterlind's wonderful tear. They each have their 'place', and I will be using at least two of them, depending upon the venue. Nevertheless, I purchased The Examiner, as its ease of setup is such a big plus.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Mghsn, Tony's tear is his version of the classic Slydini tear. In my opinion, it's not an improvement. The original Slydini handling is better.
It's all in the reflexes.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Murphy's is back in stock and Examiners are shipping once again Smile Very happy people are enjoying John Graham's awesome feature effect! As a side note and food for thought, I overheard a discussion with the team and a mentalist friend about some potential amazing mentalism routines utilizing the same gimmick Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents: The Examiner by John Graham (64 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL