The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents: The Examiner by John Graham (64 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
M.Allen
View Profile
New user
Portland, Oregon
60 Posts

Profile of M.Allen
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2015, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Why is the marker so big? I think if I am thinking it the audience may be thinking it as well.

Honestly, this is a question that should be directed toward the Avery Company but I will point out the obvious here for those with less understanding of basic physics and organics.

Jumbo markers are designed to deliver large volumes of ink in a single swipe. The purpose is for big bold print. The overall size of the marker was established so it has a reasonable life expectancy. This marker is a perfect match for medium to large scale presentations. The jumbo Marks-A-Lot comes from the real world toolbox.

That's all for now . . .

Mark
M.Allen
View Profile
New user
Portland, Oregon
60 Posts

Profile of M.Allen
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2015, mgshn wrote:

On first watching, I was a bit bothered not by the size of the marker. As others have mentioned, it's not *that* uncommon. It does look a bit awkward holding it but holding it is motivated once you start tearing because holding the paper prevents you from putting it away.

However, I was bothered by having it uncapped for the entire time it was in play. I'm pretty sure many people who use whiteboards might also be bothered by that. Does anybody, perhaps people who have used The Examiner, know if it's possible to recap the pen after writing on the paper?

For those of you on my side of the fence, hold onto the marker during the routine with the cap off and use it to enhance the restoration. Run the inked tip along the edges of the paper to restore it. Use the pen to draw stitches or something similar. It's the Magic Marker that works like Stupor Glue, especially when you sniff it! Smile

This rationale is not only to "justify or motivate" using the pen but to build a routine around it. Use this great prop to enhance the effect and mislead thinking. It also helps lessen the look of straight creases in the paper if you choose not to add setup time doing simple origami that will also create the appearance of jagged creases.

Thanks John, for having me work on some of the mechanics and sharing one of your professional tools. I will put it to good use and I bet many others will do the same, sooner or later.

Best Regards,

Mark Allen
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2421 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Effect of the year? Yes it will get my vote.
krazykat
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
91 Posts

Profile of krazykat
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2015, MR Effecto wrote:

And mine!
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2015, krazykat wrote:
Quote:

And mine!

Yup! It's been great
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:

+1. Just used this with a company newsletter and it killed!
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Great idea with newsletter Rosario Smile
Bro Gilbert
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Bro Gilbert
A Draven Review below Smile

Title: The Examiner
Artist: John Graham
Producers: Paul Harris Presents
Link: Available At Your Favorite Murphy’s Magic Dealer
Retail Price: 1:36:00 (Approx)
Learning Difficulty: Easy
Length of DVD:
Notes: WATCH DVD FIRST! You can damage your gimmick otherwise.

Includes:
• Instructional DVD
• Gimmick
• Gimmick Docking Station

Features:
• Play All
• The Secret
• Performance
• What You Get
• Set-Up/ Prep
◦ Newspaper Setup
◦ Pen Setup
◦ Care and Feeding
• Routines
• Wet/Dry Handling
◦ Live Performance
◦ How To
◦ Behind the Scenes Performance
◦ Dry Handling
◦ Alternate Newspaper Switch
• The Careful Builder
• Important Pro Tips
• Mark Allen’s Emergency Out
• Credits

Finally a no glue, no wire, no magnet all purpose newspaper tear that is as baffling in close up as it is on stage, and everything is 100% examinable! Welcome to the ingenuity of John Graham backed by the powerhouse that is Paul Harris. This is Examiner.

I love stage magic, but I just don’t get to do it as much as I do my close up so I was thrilled to learn that Paul Harris had teamed up with John Graham to release a close up examinable news paper tear, and let me say I wasn’t disappointed when I finally got the product home and played around with it! The Examiner is dependent on a gimmicked prop that comes with the DVD. The gimmick is very well made and had I not known better I would never suspect it for what it is. John advises you to watch the DVD first before playing with the gimmick to avoid damaging or breaking it, and this advice is sound. However it’s not fragile. With proper care the gimmick will last you a very long time.

The DVD is over an hour long and covers everything from proper care for your gimmick, to setup and presentation of the tear, and even includes a “what if” section should your gimmick break or wear out. And being the upstanding guys Paul and John are they even include extra gimmicky parts you can use to repair your “magic thing” should it ever break. God forbid.

The paper tear can be done with any newspaper, though the one featured in the video is a local tabloid kind. The nice thing about those is that they are usually free and abundant. Especially if you live in or around a major city like I do. So the cost of performing this trick over and over is relatively low. The only overhead is the occasional “secret stuff” refill you may need to purchase at your local office supply store and that will run you… probably less than three or four bucks.

Performance wise this thing packs about as small as it comes, and plays huge. You can pick up the news paper just about anywhere and have that setup in a matter of minutes meaning the only thing you’d really need to carry with you is the gimmick itself, and that fits into your coat pocket with ease, taking up very little room. While I don’t see this being a street magic kind of routine, just because it’s a little bit larger of an effect than what most street guys go for, this is ideal for close up or parlor. Because there’s an element of writing a person’s initials on the paper prior to being torn so it can be verified after it’s restored this may not be the most ideal newspaper tear for stage, especially if your stage act is silent or done to music, but for audience interaction and byplay this is superior to other methods out there.

Overall I couldn’t be more satisfied with The Examiner. Not only is this a practical method but it’s clear that this was developed from a magicians working arsenal, and designed to be used in the real world. There is no pie in the sky with this product. This doesn’t just work for the cameras, or for the internet. This will work for you, and I suspect if you like it as much as I do, it will stay in your repertoire for many years to come. Make sure you check out John Graham’s The Examiner while you still can. I suspect supplies on this product is going to sell out fast.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 9
Solid price, and a great effect. Very practical, very visual, ideal for stage or close up.

Teaching Quality: 9
Great tutorial. Nothing missing, everything you could want and more from an explanation.

Video & Sound Quality: 9
Great video and sound.

Overall Quality: 9
This is a great newspaper tear. I loved it. I can’t recommend this enough.

Have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at draven@williamdraven.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
924 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Great review, and I absolutely agree - a great effect Smile , and a real 'worker.'
krazykat
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
91 Posts

Profile of krazykat
Great review. Thank you!
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Hi All.

I am right handed. I am having a hard time reversing everything. Is someone having the same issue or is it just me ? Does someone has a video performing as right handed ? I will really appreciated it

PM if you need proof of my purchase

Thanks
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2107 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Creator: John Graham
Publisher: Paul Harris Presents
MSRP: $ 90
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 86 min

Type of effect: Torn & Restored Newspaper

Manufacturer's Write Up:

The 100% Examinable Torn & Restored Newspaper! EXPERTS BAFFLED BY NEWSPAPER TEAR THAT'S 100% EXAMINABLE!

OPTION FOR NEWSPAPER TO BE EXAMINED BEFORE AND AFTER!

Works with a normal newspaper. No Glues, No Wires, No Magnets, No palming or pulls, Nothing to ditch into pockets or clothing, Performer can mark with spectator's initials before the tear, No special clothing requirements. FEATURING PRECISION ENGINEERED MARK ALLEN GIMMICK.

How accurate is the ad copy? As with most write ups, the ad copy is very specific with their wording to tell you exactly what it "isn't" while cleverly disguising what it "is."

What's in the box? DVD and special gimmick with a few pieces to repair the gimmick if needed.

Key points: STAGE AND STAND-UP PERFORMERS REJOICE OVER SUPER EASY 30 SECOND SET-UP / RESET WITH A NORMAL NEWSPAPER! EXAMINE EVERYTHING WITH THE EXAMINER!

How are the production values: Shot in HD, with multiple angles - beautiful sets and elegant ambient music.

Is it well made: The gimmick is awesome! Even comes with replacement parts should you need them!

Is it well taught: John Graham is a very clear teacher - the DVD covers everything you need to know + tips, alternate handlings and even alternate patter. Care and repair of gimmick is included, Plus my favorite part the behind the magicians shoulder teaching, You get a full live performance and so much more!

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I love the routine even without the gimmick! This is a great newspaper tear!

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" This effect is best suited for parlor and stage magic

Does it "play big?" It's a classic of magic that always gets a huge reaction.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Again, this is a stage effect, best suited for an audience, but with some practice can easily be performed in the real world.

How original is this idea? Gene Anderson and Al Baker were the inspiration behind this effect.

Overall score: 10/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83niAmptf20
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
896 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Great reviews. I am sold.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
wilcom
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of wilcom
I'm also having a problem translating the folding and performance to my right handed state
any time saving hints to help out would be appreciated
just doing it left handed is probably the best option but I will wait to hear from anyone else who might be right handed and using this fine effect
peter
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17037 Posts

Profile of joseph
I saw nothing about clothing requirements.
Just to confirm, Tee shirts ok?...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2015, wilcom wrote:
I'm also having a problem translating the folding and performance to my right handed state
any time saving hints to help out would be appreciated
just doing it left handed is probably the best option but I will wait to hear from anyone else who might be right handed and using this fine effect
peter

I'm right handed and find that this is superbly awesome ... I got it to work , how ? I used my left hand ...

Well I kinda find that it's hard ( or I'm just being to lazy ) to come up with a right handed handling , so instead I just followed his left handed handling taught , it worked after a few days , sort of like muscle memory ?
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2015, joseph wrote:
I saw nothing about clothing requirements.
Just to confirm, Tee shirts ok?...

You can performed naked ~
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2421 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
A must have.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Lots of talk here about how great this effect is after seeing the video or reading the instructions but very little regarding how well it was pulled off and how it played. So what is the verdict? Maybe someone can point me to another link?
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Nat
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Nat
The BEST!!

Quote:
Lots of talk here about how great this effect is after seeing the video or reading the instructions but very little regarding how well it was pulled off and how it played. So what is the verdict? Maybe someone can point me to another link? [/quote]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents: The Examiner by John Graham (64 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL