The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kozar Pad Alternatives? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Hi guys,
I've used a Kozar pad for a little while, but it has over the last few years become a little torn, etc. I went online to order a new one and was saddened to see that it is out of stock pretty much everywhere and a direct email to the manufacturer revealed that it is no longer being made with no plans to ever make it again!

I'm after a recommendation of a pad that works in a similar way to the Kozar (i preferred it to other similar pads I used before).

The Add-A-Number-Pad by Basil Horwitz, seems like it might work on the same principle can anyone confirm that it would be a good alternative?

I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Thanks for that! I should have looked in inner. My apologies.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I'm working on developing one, and I have permission from the Kozar creators. Im planning for it to be leather and possibly have a few more bells and whistles. If you have any thoughts on what you would like included let me know. Currently it's in the prototype stage.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
504 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2015, StuartPalm wrote:
I'm working on developing one, and I have permission from the Kozar creators. Im planning for it to be leather and possibly have a few more bells and whistles. If you have any thoughts on what you would like included let me know. Currently it's in the prototype stage.


Maybe it's just me, but a leather notepad seems a little too "fancy" and may attract attention.

Personally, I would like to see just a plain black vinyl cover to make it look like something you would pick up at Staples or Office Depot.

I have the original Kozar pad and I love it, but even that is a little "fancy" looking for my taste.
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Yup. Plain. I wouldnt buy leather.

I like my kozars (I have 3) because they look like dollar store pads.
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
I'd buy both.
The fancy leather goes with my stage persona quite well. Maybe could be a premium version?
signal2noise
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of signal2noise
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2015, Daeld wrote:
I'd buy both.
The fancy leather goes with my stage persona quite well. Maybe could be a premium version?



Same here. Maybe something like Moleskine.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Interesting, not the response I was expecting.
I can look into having something made that's more cheap looking but It won't last as well for sure. I don't think it's very out of place for a professional entertainer of mentalism to have a pad that has a leather cover. Nor do I think it would call suspicion. There are Indian guys who frequent the high end shopping malls where I live who approach people with a presentation about telling their fortune. They usually do a pretty basic double writing Q and A and then ask for money, it's pretty amazing to see...and they always end up approaching me, I don't know why...anyhow, even these guys use a small leather binder for all their paper and photos of their supposed guru's temple...
Something along the lines of this photo:
http://www.padholders.com/images/leather-jotters-lrg.jpg

I'm not sure It would be cost effective to go through the manufacturing trouble for something made cheaply in a cheap material.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
davidlh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of davidlh
Stuart, that's awesome! I'm SO glad that someone is in the works to resurrect (and/or improve on) the Kozar Pad. Luckily I got one right before they went out of stock everywhere, but I know it won't last forever!
pavelrodzevich
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of pavelrodzevich
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2015, Daeld wrote:
Hi guys,
I've used a Kozar pad for a little while, but it has over the last few years become a little torn, etc. I went online to order a new one and was saddened to see that it is out of stock pretty much everywhere and a direct email to the manufacturer revealed that it is no longer being made with no plans to ever make it again!

I'm after a recommendation of a pad that works in a similar way to the Kozar (i preferred it to other similar pads I used before).

The Add-A-Number-Pad by Basil Horwitz, seems like it might work on the same principle can anyone confirm that it would be a good alternative?

I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.


It's still available on one Russian magic shop. Send you a PM
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, StuartPalm wrote:
Interesting, not the response I was expecting.
I can look into having something made that's more cheap looking but It won't last as well for sure. I don't think it's very out of place for a professional entertainer of mentalism to have a pad that has a leather cover. Nor do I think it would call suspicion. There are Indian guys who frequent the high end shopping malls where I live who approach people with a presentation about telling their fortune. They usually do a pretty basic double writing Q and A and then ask for money, it's pretty amazing to see...and they always end up approaching me, I don't know why...anyhow, even these guys use a small leather binder for all their paper and photos of their supposed guru's temple...
Something along the lines of this photo:
http://www.padholders.com/images/leather-jotters-lrg.jpg

I'm not sure It would be cost effective to go through the manufacturing trouble for something made cheaply in a cheap material.


where do you live? I'd love to see these guys. do they have people write stuff down? or just a reading?
StephenRoy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of StephenRoy
A Kozar pad is a pretty simple thing, some paper, a hole punch, an ACCO clip, the gimmick, and the cover. The issue is the cover is so hard to come by. I'd love to upgrade the look of mine to leather. Please let me know when/if this becomes available.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It should be available in Black! To me the burgundy color seemed out of place and far from normal to many. I've never understood why others like this were never available. Please no pencil on a string or pulls. don't over complicate it. Strong magnets for fail safe use, standard paper refills, not a weird or abnormal size. Plan, ordinary look, not overly fancy skins or prints. Best of luck!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2588 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I often carry a leather-covered notebook and there's a ton of them available in places like Barnes and Nobles.

I can't say I'd pick up a Kozar pad because I don't know if I'd need it, but I would certainly be interested in a leather covered option.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12227 Posts

Profile of John C
There's certainly nothing wrong with leather. They are available at any office store. Not out of the ordinary.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Satori w/Super Mento Pad is one of the most effective and affordable "Add A Number" effects on the market.
Measurements are approx. 5.5-inches tall by 3.25-inches wide.
Imported from Germany, it features a simple yet very effective gaff that works time after time Smile
Thank You Smile
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2015, aukt wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, StuartPalm wrote:
Interesting, not the response I was expecting.
I can look into having something made that's more cheap looking but It won't last as well for sure. I don't think it's very out of place for a professional entertainer of mentalism to have a pad that has a leather cover. Nor do I think it would call suspicion. There are Indian guys who frequent the high end shopping malls where I live who approach people with a presentation about telling their fortune. They usually do a pretty basic double writing Q and A and then ask for money, it's pretty amazing to see...and they always end up approaching me, I don't know why...anyhow, even these guys use a small leather binder for all their paper and photos of their supposed guru's temple...
Something along the lines of this photo:
http://www.padholders.com/images/leather-jotters-lrg.jpg

I'm not sure It would be cost effective to go through the manufacturing trouble for something made cheaply in a cheap material.


where do you live? I'd love to see these guys. do they have people write stuff down? or just a reading?


Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I live in Hong Kong, and these guys are very interesting. They don't even really do a reading they just do a pellet switch and some double writing and people are in awe and give them money. Time and time again I'm told the story of someone who has seen the usual pitch and given money and they are always adamant that it was amazing and how could he know!

From these experiences I understand magicians guilt because the way these guys go about it is shameless and they are relentless in trying to get as much money as they can. They also will try and tell you that you will be cursed if you don't give something which makes me very angry. So when asked I can't stand aside and support them but I also don't want to kill the sense of wonder. Usually I say that these guys are not using what they have learned for good and will scam you as soon as they can and leave it at that. But I'm fascinated by how little it takes to make a miracle to the unsuspecting public.

If you ever end up in Hong Kong drop me a message.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
mentalism addict
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of mentalism addict
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2015, StuartPalm wrote:
I'm working on developing one, and I have permission from the Kozar creators. Im planning for it to be leather and possibly have a few more bells and whistles. If you have any thoughts on what you would like included let me know. Currently it's in the prototype stage.
did this ever come out?
bec the kozar pad and satori w/super mento pad are impossible to get and I need to get a add a number pad for some thing in my show. I ordered the Horowitz pad and returned it bec its not what I wanted so if theres some thing like the kozar pad please post what it is asap thanks
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Get Carlyle's!

I use these pads all the time, and make no mistake, - nothing could be more innocent than this.
The routine is great, you could use the pad for any routine though, and the package costs you 15$, - not 100 $ or more.

- or you could just use a small stack of indexcards.
That will work great too.

http://www.carlyletouch.com/add_a_number.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kozar Pad Alternatives? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL