The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Exclusive - How to do every trick featured on Fool Us and AGT! (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
DO:
Read the following books

Maximum entertainment
13 Steps to Mentalism
Practical Mental Effects

DO NOT:
Expect us to give you someone elses act
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Haha, that should be a sticky at the top!
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Haha, that should be a sticky at the top!

agreed.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Chaz that was actually as much funny as it is the truth.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
I love this.
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2015, Harry the magic man wrote:
I love this.

DITTO!

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
JarJarJared
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of JarJarJared
Seriously, this is great. This should actually be a sticky. There are way too many threads here directing beginners to the exact same material.
browneyed
View Profile
Regular user
I could've sworn I had more than
104 Posts

Profile of browneyed
Quote:
DO:
Read the following books

Maximum entertainment
13 Steps to Mentalism
Practical Mental Effects

I feel like these are the citizenship papers of mentalism and this forum has become immigration. Serious question for the seasoned veterans here: Do sparks like this contribute to a noticeable growth in actual dedicated mentalists or is mostly one-off secret seekers?
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I'm not sure I understand the question Browneyed.
browneyed
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of browneyed
Every so often a magician or a mentalist becomes popular and a swarm of new people flock into forums like this to learn the secrets of what they did. How many of those, if any, stay and become true mentalists? Are these peaks in popularity what bring about the new generations of mentalists or is it just a temporary thing that fades?
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Ah, I understand now thanks. I would say that the majority of the time it's just an influx of the curious, or magicians who want to add a mental magic trick to their act and as such they rarely stay when they realize the answer either requires work, or just isn't given. In a few cases people stay and learn and join the community and kick back, but it's mostly "Hey, I saw someone do something on TV. Teach me how!" and then crickets when they either get their answer or are met with silence.
browneyed
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of browneyed
That's what I thought, mentalism seems to be one of those "it chooses you" things. You should probably stress to the swarms the immense amount of work that lies ahead of them, though, and I think they'll run for the hills immediately. I've been at it 8 years and there's still so much that I don't know. It's an investment that pays off very, very slowly.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
"Doing it successfully takes hard work" is true for... about everything people are drawn to: acting, playing music, singing, dancing, juggling, drawing, taking photographs, painting, writing.
And of course, magic and mentalism.

Lots of curious come, "try a few chords" and leave. Others stay.
I was drawn to mentalism (from magic to mentalism) because of a Gary Kurtz show on French TV. Derren Brown finished getting the nail in Smile

Funnily enough, I realize now (like, this minute!) I didn' try to discover how GK of DB did what I'd seen and the idea never crossed my mind... I find it surprising, but I went looking for mentalism material at large, and not for what I'd seen in their shows... Does that make me weird? I feel weird! Smile

From the beginning, I didn't want to add mentalism to my magic: I wanted to become a mentalist!
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2015, browneyed wrote:
Are these peaks in popularity what bring about the new generations of mentalists or is it just a temporary thing that fades?

Very temporary and it quickly fades. Then there the few that hang on, and decide to personally want to change mentalism in their own way without much regard for what exists or has come before them. Quite a double-edged sword. Definitely a result of the Internet, youtube and the "I-got-to-have-it-now" boom and generation.

This stuff has always been on t.v. but previously you have to physically put in the time, effort and work to find this on your own. It was called paying your dues.
JarJarJared
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of JarJarJared
Whether the curiosity is temporary or permanent, these are the things they should still read. We are not making them read it in order for it to be a "pass into the club". These books aren't for initiation. We suggest these books because so many methodological discussions we have branch off from the simple ideas inside of them.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Too bad there's not a way to turn Youtube into Cursive. That would solve the problem.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Tom's comment about cursive wins the internet for today!
KWEBER
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of KWEBER
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2015, Chaz93 wrote:
DO:
Read the following books

Maximum entertainment
13 Steps to Mentalism
Practical Mental Effects

DO NOT:
Expect us to give you someone elses act

Ha! I just saw this. Love it.

And if anyone cares, we just put together a new site for Max Ent:

www.MaximumEntertainment.info
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
***it. I wanted to know a specific routine from BGT.... not AGT.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
Matt Chalk
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
166 Posts

Profile of Matt Chalk
Way to be passive agressive
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Exclusive - How to do every trick featured on Fool Us and AGT! (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL