The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is there an exradition treaty? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
He should have stuck to hunting playing cards.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Makes me want to puke.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of lynnef
My dentist is also a hunter, only his weapon is a camera!!! Lynn
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my. Why some hunt them down and hang their heads above their mantle I don’t know. People who stuff animals are defiantly creepy. There is no doubt about it. The hunting can be necessary but merely doing so for fun of it is also creepy. There are too many psychopaths in the world and not enough kindness it seems to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I've never understood trophy hunting. I support hunting for food and for population control but I think that's about it.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 29, 2015, lunatik wrote:
I've never understood trophy hunting. I support hunting for food and for population control but I think that's about it.

Agree. I would add culturally meaningful hunting as well.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Makes me want to puke.

Me too. But at the very least this particular problem is getting the attention of the entire world.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
There is no limit to which some rich people will go to satisfy their obsessions. No matter how immoral or depraved.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
There is no limit to which some rich people will go to satisfy their obsessions. No matter how immoral or depraved.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew......aph.html

"Walter Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota who shot the lion, has said that he 'deeply regrets' killing Cecil."

Walter will dedicate his next black rhino hunt in Cecil's name.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 29, 2015, balducci wrote:

Walter will dedicate his next black rhino hunt in Cecil's name.

Knocked the wind out of me with that one. Ow.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17553 Posts

Profile of Slim King
No dog in this fight, but how many of you had honestly heard of Cecil before this? And did the government get the $55 Thousand dollars? How much did they charge for the permit to kill a lion?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2015, Slim King wrote:

No dog in this fight, but how many of you had honestly heard of Cecil before this? And did the government get the $55 Thousand dollars? How much did they charge for the permit to kill a lion?

I knew they had protected lions on reserves, lions that were illegal to hunt. I did not know Cecil personally by name.

They purchased a hunting permit, but not one that gave the right to hunt this or any protected lion. That is part of why people are now facing criminal charges.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
No comment, just sharing a picture from outside his dental office door earlier. Cute animals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ged.html

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
This guy is a bad guy and an unethical hunter. I think there's a lot of conflicting information floating around, and a lot of commentary by people who know nothing about the way hunting works in Africa. I actually don't have a problem with hunting, even big-game hunting in Africa when it's done legally. But this guy killed a black bear in my own state illegally and transported and 40 miles into a legal zone. That's not an innocent mistake,that's a blatant case of poaching plain and simple. So based on his track record, he has no credibility as far as I'm concerned. I consider him to be a poacher/violator. As an ethical hunter myself there are a few things I hate more than a violator. If at the end of the day the facts show that he committed even one violation in the taking of that animal, they should absolutely throw the book at him. And in addition to whatever else they do to him, and I would hope the penalties would be extremely harsh, his hunting privileges should be revoked worldwide, forever. (Now, do I think the guy should be killed like some people who are more deranged than this guy are calling for? Of course not.)

On a semi-related note has anyone been following the story of the lion it's been spotted around the city of Milwaukee? It was front page of the Chicago Tribune yesterday and I believe there was an article in the New York Times. A large cat has been spotted a couple of times in the city, they haven't even determined if it's a mountain lion or an African cat yet. But there is definitely a very large cat roaming around the inner city of Milwaukee.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:

They purchased a hunting permit, but not one that gave the right to hunt this or any protected lion. That is part of why people are now facing criminal charges.

See, that's one of those bits of information I keep seeing that I find confusing. As far as I know they don't protect individual animals, they protect areas. It's the same in North America. When animals are in a refuge or some other protected area, they are off-limits. When they leave those areas, as they often do, they become fair game. Typically you buy a permit to take a certain animal in a certain area. There is a lot of talk that he "lured" this cat off of the preserve. I'm not sure if they will be able to prove that or charge him with that, dragging animal carcasses to bait stands is a very common practice in Africa. If they started by dragging the bait inside the park, that's a clear-cut violation. If they started by dragging the bait just outside the park then not so much. That park is almost 15,000 km.˛ in size.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2015, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:

See, that's one of those bits of information I keep seeing that I find confusing. As far as I know they don't protect individual animals, they protect areas. It's the same in North America. When animals are in a refuge or some other protected area, they are off-limits. When they leave those areas, as they often do, they become fair game. Typically you buy a permit to take a certain animal in a certain area. There is a lot of talk that he "lured" this cat off of the preserve. I'm not sure if they will be able to prove that or charge him with that, dragging animal carcasses to bait stands is a very common practice in Africa. If they started by dragging the baby inside the park, that's a clear-cut violation. If they started by dragging the bait just outside the park then not so much. That park is almost 15,000 mi.˛ in size.

Obviously none of us here know the detailed particulars, but we do know the Zimbabwe authorities (who approve hunting in general, and issue permits to hunt lions) have charged and / or arrested people for some of the actions they took in regards to this particular hunt.

I'm sure you also probably know that the lion in particular was a collared animal, being monitored for research, and one part of the story is that they cut his collar off illegally.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:

Obviously none of us here know the detailed particulars, but we do know the Zimbabwe authorities (who approve hunting in general, and issue permits to hunt lions) have charged and / or arrested people for some of the actions they took in regards to this particular hunt.

I'm sure you also probably know that the lion in particular was a collared animal, and one part of the story is that they cut his collar off illegally.

Yes, I know. Like I said, I'm of the opinion, based on what I do know, that this guy is poacher and pretty much scum. The fact they cut the collar off and didn't report it leads me to believe they were trying to cover something up. In north America we band and collar all sorts of animals. If you take a banded or collared animal it's not illegal in itself. But typically you report that you took the animal so they can record the data that the band or collar was put on to collect in the first place.

They put GPS on ducks now. There is no way to tell at 40 yards if a flying bird is wearing a tiny GPS unit.(just as it's probably near impossible to tell if a lion is wearing a collar under it's mane) But if you shoot a duck wearing a transmitter you call it in and send the receiver back. They will even send you a replica receiver that you can have put on the bird if you decide to mount it. Ducks are banded for research all the time. I know, I've done it. But hunters also collect bands because they are very rare and considered a trophy in themselves. All they ask is that you report the band.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Http://news.yahoo.com/zimbabwean-men-cou......737.html

A Zimbabwean court on Wednesday charged a professional hunter with failing to prevent an American from unlawfully killing 'Cecil' ...

Local hunter Theo Bronkhorst appeared in a courthouse in Hwange, 800 km (500 miles) west of Harare, and was charged with 'failing to supervise, control and take reasonable steps to prevent an unlawful hunt'.

Game park owner Honest Ndlovu, who is also accused of assisting Palmer, was not charged on Wednesday and parks officials said he would first testify for the state and be charged later.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is there an exradition treaty? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL