The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rarest books in Mentalism (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, truman wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, Dr Spektor wrote:
shiels effect is available

I saw the one for sale that Dr. Cushman mentioned. Is that the one you mean? If it's being regularly sold elsewhere, please provide a link. Thanks!

The Doc's info same as mine
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, Bill Cushman wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, truman wrote:
There are books on the 39 Steps to Mentalism that are practically unavailable. The following two come to mind:

* Out of the Deep Freeze by Ford Kross
* The Shiels Effect by Tony Shiels

Someone has a Shiels Effect up for sale here right now. He's stated that it, along with several other books he's selling, are collector's editions. I've asked for clarification as I have all but one and wasn't aware that special editions were issued for any of them. So far no response. Anyone here know about the following books being released as collector's editions:

CONFESSIONS OF A PSYCHIC by Uriah Fuller. 1975. Collectors edition in great condition.
FURTHER CONFESSIONS OF A PSYCHIC by Uriah Fuller. 1980. Collectors edition in great condition.
IT MUST BE MINDREADING by George Anderson. 1974. Collectors edition in great condition.
YOU TOO CAN READ MINDS by George Anderson. 1978. Collectors edition in great condition.
DYNAMITE MENTALISM by George Anderson. 1979. Collectors edition in great condition.
THE BOLD AND SUBTLE MIRACLES OF DR. FAUST by David Hoy. 1975. Collectors edition in great condition.
MIND MELDS by Stephen Minch. 1984. Collectors edition in great condition.
DYNAMIC MYSTERIES by Richard Osterlind. 2000. Collectors edition in great condition.

Selfishly, I hope not, for the sake of increased collectible value, as I own all but the Minch and Osterlind of the above!

Smile Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
pavelrodzevich
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of pavelrodzevich
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
My "The Art of Mentalism" is long out of print. Even the second edition is pretty rare.

I'm very happy I got one, it took me from "mental magic" to "mentalism"
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Did some one mention David Hoy? Did you know there are a couple of color variants for the cover some of which are scarce, also signed copies of his work as Dr. Faust are extremely rare and only a couple copies are even know signed with both names. I was fortunate to score a Dr. Faust copy that was inscribed to Harold Puff at an auction a few years ago. At first I thought I was buying a regular copy of that work knowing how hard it is to find sometimes. When I opened it I fell out of my chair. In that same lot was a signed Henry Hay work to. That was a good day.

In my collection I have several copies of the George Anderson works in duplicate in some cases. Thanks so much Dr. Bill letting them know those are rare. I had a good thing going in till someone let the cat out of the bag. Smile Its not only the collectors edition of his work either one of the titles mentioned was a short print run. Oh yeah thanks for giving a shout out about Uriah Fuller stuff too now the prices may even go higher. Its hard enough getting copies of any of the M. De Mage stuff too. And if it says Brother Shadow anything other than Have Seance Will Travel forget about it. Its easier to find de Mage at least his stuff trades from time to time.

For example: here is the population report for some of my rarer printed books in case any of you have a copy of this stuff. You may want to know that some of it is out of print and rather scarce. Although some of these titles listed below were not intended to be limited printed editions it just worked out that way. These works are or were in some cases only available at Stevens Magic Emporium in Wichita, KS

The Bridge 1st edition printed edition only 40 copies exist (this is the small size version of this book). The new bilingual version in English and Spanish is printed by Stevens Publishing along with the Bridge 2.

Frank's Ghost (Bill Montana and Nick Belleas) 23 copies exist. No longer in print only available via download at Stevens Magic Emporium. If any copies of this are left that's where they will be found. Call first I believe this one is actually sold out. Note: while this work is not technically mentalism and falls more in the classification of Bizarre or Seance ghost work. Unless you classify spiritualism as a foundational part of mentalism then it can be included.

Psychic Mother !@#$*r 41copies have been printed to date. This one will max out around 75-100 copies in total as some information within this book does not need to be in mass circulation.

The Conchologist of Conchomanteia 37 copies exist so far. This work is now to be classified under the category of Meta- Mentalism do to its subject matter. Meta-Mentalism is a new term coined by Gary Kriss earlier this week to classify these types of works where ordinary, spiritual or metaphysical non gimmicked objects are used to produce an affect on a person. I found this interesting so I thought I would mention it again. Since its not everyday a new terminology is created to explain your type of mentalism and this time it was used to describe my work.

Phasmatis Opus 24 copies exist. This work is strickly limited to 50 copies Total there are a couple cover variants that got out these have a different type of cover wrap than the rest of the edition. Classification of Blizzard or Spiritism.

Pulse only about a dozen original printed copies exist. Size 4.25 x 5.5 staple bound.

Seeing the Light original printed copy 6 are know to exist all 6 were signed.

(?) My first book on mentalism size 4.5x 5.5 staple bound only 10 copies were ever printed all but two have been recovered and destroyed by fire. When I find the other missing copy I will burn it as well. Some books should never have existed. No, I will not tell anyone the title of that work either. I a have one copy that has not been burned in my collection as a reminded to myself to never use a certain word processing program again as long as I live. That book is a mess which is why it was destroyed.

That's just some of my rarer printed publications

Note: if you have a copy of Frank's Ghost signed by both authors it is extremely rare. As those would only have been sold through Tannen's in New York.

Some of the above have PDF versions that are slightly different than the printed versions in case your wondering about that as well.

Pulse was first released as a small printed book a few years later it was released as a PDF.

So now you know the rare book list for Bill Montana if you have any of the above that are no longer in print think twice before selling. Or if you do sell it at least get paid when you do.
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
Several of the following books that I've seen mentioned on here, I don't know if they really exist or only exist in legend. I'd say if they do exist, that they're among the rarest as I've seen nothing mentioned of them beyond a few cryptic messages here and there.

Ted Karmilovich - Sands of the Desert
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

Ted Karmilovich - TK: The Hidden Force of Mentalism/ The book that's been in production forever that may have already been released to PEA members
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......313371#1

Estelle Lind - The Ultimate System for Answering Questions
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82

??? - The Secret Tomb
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

In reference to an earlier post in this thread, The No Prop Nightclub Act is obtainable, and not rare:
http://tannensmagic.corecommerce.com/The......Act.html
However, there is a rare video of Ted demonstrating the act
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I would call Estelle Lind's "The Ultimate System for Answering Questions" a book. It's only one. But it does exist. I know because I have a copy. Very few have it and I seriously doubt you'll find it anywhere.

My friend, the late David Alexander, posted about it in one of the above links:

Quote:
On Feb 18, 2010, David Alexander wrote:
If this is what I think it is I obtained it in 1990 via one of mentalism's BIG NAMES who shared it with a few close friends. As I understand it, he got it directly from the source.

It is written on a single sheet of paper - the distillation of a private reader's decades of experience doing tens of thousands of readings. It is stunning in both its simplicity and its sophistication and properly used results in stunningly accurate readings and satisfied clients.

Nothing like it has been published before or since and the system - like many things in high-end magic and mentalism - was never sold, merely circulated amongst a few close friends for their own private use.

I got my copy from the same person who shared it with David.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, insight wrote:
...I am now working on another rare book slated for release in early 2016...details will be forthcoming shortly.

Regards,
Mike

Your releases so far have been truly awful. Please don't release anything else as It's really not fair to the people that spend their hard earned money on it...
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Correction to my last post. I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night. The first sentence should read:

"I wouldn't call Estelle Lind's 'The Ultimate System for Answering Questions' a book. It's only one page."
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I been awake for far too long again, a couple of days or so working on clearing my backlog and I within a few hours of clear after several months of non stop getting it done. So if this in not intelligible I try again after some sleep.

Regardless of size Estelle Lind's 'The Ultimate System for Answering Questions' would that be available for purchase, would it Bob? You know me and know I like those old psychic oracle's and that's one I do not have in the collection.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Mediumship for Magicians by Tony Corinda. I asked about its existence in a separate post (in Inner Thoughts), and if anyone out there has any information about it, they are so far keeping it to themselves. Some of you might say that the phrase "for magicians" in the title excludes it from being a "book in mentalism." I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the book is very similar to the material that is discussed in Corinda's Step Nine.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
I been awake for far too long again, a couple of days or so working on clearing my backlog and I within a few hours of clear after several months of non stop getting it done. So if this in not intelligible I try again after some sleep.

Regardless of size Estelle Lind's 'The Ultimate System for Answering Questions' would that be available for purchase, would it Bob? You know me and know I like those old psychic oracle's and that's one I do not have in the collection.

I don't think it was ever available for purchase. It was just circulated privately. It was actually just a printed sheet that came out long before people made digital copies of everything. That's probably why it isn't all over the Internet.

(The opposite side of that coin, though, is, since it's not on my computer, I have no idea in which of my dozens of loose leaf binders it's in, or if it's just in a pile of old papers somewhere.)
Chad Collyer
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Chad Collyer
Anybody know where I can find some of Myriam Ruthchild's books at? There is one that Ron Martin recommends (Psychotechnics) but unable to find anywhere.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, Chad Collyer wrote:
Anybody know where I can find some of Myriam Ruthchild's books at? There is one that Ron Martin recommends (Psychotechnics) but unable to find anywhere.

There's currently a copy listed at Amazon for $197:

http://www.amazon.com/Psychotechnics-sci......006YJYNY

And one at Rain Dog Books in Illinois for $75:

http://www.raindogbooks.com/?page=shop/f......id=27884

How hard have you looked? These were both on the first page of Google results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Myriam%2......s_rd=ssl
Chad Collyer
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Chad Collyer
Yes Tim I saw those but at $197 and $75 I was hoping there'd be somewhere else to buy them at a much lower price.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
I was recently looking for "The Dance" by Brad Henderson, which might also be described as rare. If you'll do a Google search, you'll find several online stores that seem to be selling the book. I learned from experience that the inventory doesn't always match what they say is available. Amazon was one of those places.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, Chad Collyer wrote:

There's currently a copy listed at Amazon for $197:

http://www.amazon.com/Psychotechnics-sci......006YJYNY

And one at Rain Dog Books in Illinois for $75:

http://www.raindogbooks.com/?page=shop/f......id=27884

How hard have you looked? These were both on the first page of Google results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Myriam%2......s_rd=ssl

Ruthchild's books are good, but not great, and they're not worth anything near those prices unless you solely interested in them as collector's items. I believe her Psychotechnics, paper cover, staple bound, cost about ten bucks when it first came out. You'll find much better present day equivalents, notably Richard Webster's books.
Jon Mac
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
24 Posts

Profile of Jon Mac
There is a Bold and Subtle Miracles of Dr. Faust on Abebooks for $135:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15765451414

That's quite a bit and it's only a 3rd printing from 1975!
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
International Magic in London has The Shiels Effect, or certainly had some last time I checked. It's worth checking with them if they still got a few kicking around. It's an excellent book and definitely worth a read.

//Dan
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, Jon Mac wrote:
There is a Bold and Subtle Miracles of Dr. Faust on Abebooks for $135:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15765451414

That's quite a bit and it's only a 3rd printing from 1975!

*cough* http://www.magicinc.net/boldandsubtlemiraclesofdrfaust.aspx *cough*
Woover
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
See the OOP editions for sale downstairs...
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rarest books in Mentalism (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL