The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » [WGM] L&L series: World's Greatest Magic By The World's Greatest Magicians - Name some favorites (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
(Note - I've used [WGM] in the subject title for easier searching in the future, you can guess how many results "World's Greatest Magic" brings up)

L&L has released quite a few DVDs in this series. I'm curious to know some of your favorites as these are a great way to dive into a subject and see different magicians' takes on some of the same effects.
To date L&L has released the following:

The World's Greatest Magic - Ace Assemblies Volume 1
The World's Greatest Magic - Ace Assemblies Volume 2
The World's Greatest Magic - Ace Assemblies Volume 3
The World's Greatest Magic - Ambitious Card
The World's Greatest Magic - Ambitious Classic
The World's Greatest Magic - Anniversary Waltz
The World's Greatest Magic - Bill in Lemon
The World's Greatest Magic - Cannibal Cards
The World's Greatest Magic - Card Fanning
The World's Greatest Magic - Card on Ceiling
The World's Greatest Magic - Card Stab
The World's Greatest Magic - Card Through Handkerchief
The World's Greatest Magic - Card to Wallet
The World's Greatest Magic - Card Warp
The World's Greatest Magic - Cards Across
The World's Greatest Magic - Chop Cup
The World's Greatest Magic - Classic Force
The World's Greatest Magic - Coins Across
The World's Greatest Magic - Coins Through the Table
The World's Greatest Magic - Collins' Aces
The World's Greatest Magic - Color Changing Deck
The World's Greatest Magic - Color Changing Knives
The World's Greatest Magic - Copper/Silver/Brass - 2 Copper 1 Silver
The World's Greatest Magic - Cups & Balls Vol 1
The World's Greatest Magic - Cups & Balls Vol 2
The World's Greatest Magic - Cups & Balls Vol 3
The World's Greatest Magic - Dinner Table Magic
The World's Greatest Magic - Endless Chain
The World's Greatest Magic - Expanded Shells
The World's Greatest Magic - Fabulous Three- Ball Trick
The World's Greatest Magic - Folding Coin - Coin in Bottle
The World's Greatest Magic - Gambling Routines
The World's Greatest Magic - Gambling Routines with Cards Vol 1-3
The World's Greatest Magic - Gypsy Thread
The World's Greatest Magic - Last Word on Three Card Monte Vol 1
The World's Greatest Magic - Last Word on Three Card Monte Vol 2
The World's Greatest Magic - Linking Rings
The World's Greatest Magic - MacDonald's Aces
The World's Greatest Magic - Magic with Business Cards
The World's Greatest Magic - Magic with Dice
The World's Greatest Magic - Magic with Everyday Objects
The World's Greatest Magic - Master Card Technique Vol 1
The World's Greatest Magic - Master Card Technique Vol 2
The World's Greatest Magic - Master Card Technique Vol 3
The World's Greatest Magic - Matrix/Coin Assemblies
The World's Greatest Magic - Metal Bending
The World's Greatest Magic - Money Magic
The World's Greatest Magic - Oil & Water
The World's Greatest Magic - Out of this World
The World's Greatest Magic - Pen Through Quarter
The World's Greatest Magic - Professor's Nightmare
The World's Greatest Magic - Ring Flight
The World's Greatest Magic - Ring on Rope
The World's Greatest Magic - Rope Routines
The World's Greatest Magic - Scotch & Soda, Dime & Penny, Chinatown Half
The World's Greatest Magic - Self-Working Card Tricks Vol 1
The World's Greatest Magic - Self-Working Card Tricks Vol 2
The World's Greatest Magic - Self-Working Card Tricks Vol 3
The World's Greatest Magic - Slydini's Knotted Silks
The World's Greatest Magic - Sponge Balls
The World's Greatest Magic - Stack of Quarters & Copper/Silver
The World's Greatest Magic - Stand-Up Magic Vol 1
The World's Greatest Magic - Stand-Up Magic Vol 2
The World's Greatest Magic - Stand-Up Magic Vol 3
The World's Greatest Magic - Storytelling Decks
The World's Greatest Magic - Tenkai Pennies
The World's Greatest Magic - Thread Magic
The World's Greatest Magic - Thumb Tips
The World's Greatest Magic - Torn & Restored Card
The World's Greatest Magic - Torn & Restored Newspaper
The World's Greatest Magic - Wild Card
The World's Greatest Magic - Zombie Ball

I have a few of these and will share my thoughts on future posts, but if this gets enough momentum, I think it could become a great resource. Also, in addition to telling us your favorites, please tell us why. Thanks for your time!
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
I'll start with one I just rewatched yesterday:

World's Greatest Magic - Close-up Magic Volume 2

Contents:
The 21st Century Bill Transposition – Eugene Burger and David Parr presentation starts at 1:12
Word of the Ring – Banachek presentation
Bill and Pen – J. J. Sanvert
Foreign Affair – Gregory Wilson presentation
The Mystery of the Little Piece of Cork – Paul Wilson
All Screwed Up – Doc Eason presentation by Jonathon Kamm
Cup and Ball – Daryl

MagicSanta wrote a great review:

Quote:
On Dec 9, 2008, MagicSanta wrote:
Title: Close Up Magic (non-card) WMGbyWGM
Medium: DVD, three sold separately
Arena: Close up non-card
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

There are a couple of things when it comes to DVDs over the last couple years that jump to my mind. First is there are just a glut of card effects out there and most are not great, second is I continue to be thrilled with the L&L re-release of material under the general title of Worlds Greatest Magic by the Worlds Greatest Magicians. Because these are compilations you end up with different levels of production quality and the look is sometimes dated, but the quality is pretty good over all. This time we get three solid DVDs of non card close up magic and while you may have some or all on DVD these are well worth looking into. Because they are compiled from different performers you get solid material without filler being used in an attempt to make the DVDs longer.

The material is top drawer and volume one has the most meat to it. The DVD opens with Bruce Cervon doing his Hanky Panky routine and it kills, completely kills. Not difficult to do this is a routine that is like hitting your spectators in the face to get their attention and when they think you are done you hit them again then again! You also get wonderful work on the Ball & Tube, which I’ve ignored for years, by Glenn Falkenstein which will make you want to get one and carry it with you. You also will get the Folding Bill shown by Ammar and good material by Flip, Malone, and Mark Leveridge, not to be forgotten is the great Bob Read doing his Transpo Tumbler.

Volume two opens with Eugene Burger and David Parr doing the 21st Century Bill Transpo, very nice. Banachek does a really cleaver book routine which is based on an old concept but I think his sells better than most I’ve seen. You’ll find a killer routine by Daryl using a cup and rolled up bill, All Screwed Up as presented by Doc Eason, a pen routine by JJ Sanvert, and a bill routine by Greg Wilson. The most dazzling routine and the one requiring the most practice is the Mystery of the Little Piece of Cork, based on a Roy Walton idea and presented brilliantly by R. Paul Wilson. This one will require work but if you get to the point where you can do it as well as Paul then you will have a serious piece of magic in your hands.

Volume three is as solid as the first two. John Mendoza does a very nice bowl routine and you get material from Johnny Thompson, Tommy Wonder, David Roth, and Larry Jennings. My favorite here was 3D Photo by Henry Evans You’ll want to do this routine and it is very easy to do, actually close to self working. This DVD likely has the least number of routines that people will be doing compared to what is found on the first two volumes.

I’d recommend this collection of DVDs. Cards are fun but this is the type of magic the spectators love. Great job by everyone involved.

And you can read Wayne Kawamoto's 4/5 star review here.

Myself, what made me break out this DVD for another viewing was when I was reading the Cafe thread about Eugene Burger's Slow Motion Bill Transpo that is avaiable as a download on Penguin.

On the WGM DVD it is called "21st Century Bill Transposition". The difference between this and the Penguin download is that you don't get that visual transformation from waving the bill back and forth. That being said it is still a wonderful effect. I was tempted to spend an extra amount to learn the change on the download but decided against it since I am still very happy with one on WGM. On the DVD it's nice because Eugene talks about the evolution of the trick with David Parr, how they handled the change in the look of the currency when the 'newer' bills were introduced, and you get to see David's version as well. This method is very nicely thought out from start to finish and if this was the only thing on the DVD I would have still been happy with my purchase. By the way, add me to the long line of people that love to hear Eugene talk.

Another one that blew me away was Word of the Ring by Banachek. You can check out the performance on Youtube here. It is an old principle but it is the first time I've seen a ring used this way for a book test and I just thought it looked so clean and fair. For a Café thread on this effect check out this thread, mindhunter has a great idea as well.

The other tricks on the DVD are good, but these are the two that really stood out for me. I definitely recommend this one.
chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
I recently started working on the chop cup and the WGM video on that subject was recommended to me. I was not disappointed as it includes several great versions.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I enjoyed The Classic Force DVD. You take a little from here and a little from there and you put together your own style of doing it.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I love the sponge DVD myself. There are lots of great ideas on there and even a little Burger on there for you Robert. It also introduced me to Michael Finney. I absolutely love this guy and the way he presents.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Thanks, guys! I actually have the WGM - Sponge Balls DVD, I will need to go back and revisit it. I remember really liking the section by Frank Garcia, more specifically his sponge ball retention vanishes:

Sponge Ball Routine by Frank Garcia

Right now my collection consists of:

-Close Up Magic Vol. 1
-Close Up Magic Vol. 2
-Close Up Magic Vol. 3
-Out of this World
-Chop Cup
-Sponge Balls

Because of a $10 WGM deal L&L had going on (I recommend everyone signing up for the mailing list, they post great specials), I ordered the following:

-Finger Ring Magic
-Magic With Everyday Objects
-Money Magic
-The Card Stab

I was tempted to get the one on the Classic Force, but I have so many resources on card magic (my first love) that I wanted to purchase some items that received great reviews, but were also out of my usual magic interests. I had absolutely no interest in the Card Stab DVD at first, I remember seeing the Easy to Master Card Miracles performance by Michael Ammar and dismissing it. But after reading reviews and watching Johnny Thompson's Card Stab, and seeing how fun his presentation was, I had to add this to my 'must see' list.

If anyone wants any reviews of a specific DVD, let me know. But I thoroughly recommend the Close Up Magic volumes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » [WGM] L&L series: World's Greatest Magic By The World's Greatest Magicians - Name some favorites (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL