The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Selenium Shift by Chris Severson & Shin Lim Presents (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mejais
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Mejais
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2015, Magician560 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, Mejais wrote:
Is this using a gimmick?

No gimmicks ~

how practical is this move? How hard is it? What are the angles?
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Practical ? Well you can't say whether a move is practical , it only depends on how well you're able to execute it . Example will be a double lift or any other passes , they are very practical , but you'll have to execute them well in order for them to be " practical " , I believe you can't buy this and expect to perform it right away .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Get In !!!!

I've been looking for an effect for an age that I can do in a cellar accompanied by dramatic music...this looks like the real deal !!!
Mejais
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Mejais
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2015, Magician560 wrote:
Practical ? Well you can't say whether a move is practical , it only depends on how well you're able to execute it . Example will be a double lift or any other passes , they are very practical , but you'll have to execute them well in order for them to be " practical " , I believe you can't buy this and expect to perform it right away .

Thanks.

How are the angles?
bangustar
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of bangustar
It is covered best when the spec is right in front of you. Since this move is made to convince the spec, that nothing is happening even when stared on the deck, the angle issue is a major weakpoint of this move. Real world applicability? Not for me.
Besides, I can imagine some guys with smaller hands will have problems with this sleight.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
It's a weird one because it looks all the world like a pass .... I'm sure those in the know will know enough to confirm that it's not a pass variation and is in fact something new.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Well , I don't really care about angles in such moves , such moves are meant to be done in a off beat ( Unless you're showing your " skills " to a magician ) , I don't see a problem in angles . Furthermore , most spectators will be standing in front of you , thus you don't have to worry much , it's not like they will be staring under your hands ...

- Albert Einstein
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
It does look rather smart and reminds me of a similar effect Tivo 2.0 by Dan & Dave Buck.

I can see this effect working best one on one, maybe a couple of people.

Like with Tivo 2.0, this looks great for sure, but one will have to watch their angles IMHO.

Best,

Neil.
Mystik
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Mystik
Contrariwise Shift vs Selenium shift. Which is better?
Casshan
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Casshan
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, Cole Gross wrote:

"*Casshan died... seriously. He dead."
- R.I.P. Casshand Wallace

*Casshan died... Seriously. *He's dead.
-R.I.P. *Casshan Wallace

Just had to fix a couple typos lol and I'm not dead. It felt like it though. I think I was just in a coma, that's all. No worries 😄
You can call me Cash!

Email: casshandw@gmail.com
Facebook: Casshan Wallace
Twitter: @Casshan_Wallace
Instagram: @cash_magic
bangustar
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of bangustar
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, Magician560 wrote:
Well , I don't really care about angles in such moves , such moves are meant to be done in a off beat ( Unless you're showing your " skills " to a magician ) , I don't see a problem in angles . Furthermore , most spectators will be standing in front of you , thus you don't have to worry much , it's not like they will be staring under your hands ...

Well, don't agree that this move is meant to be done in a off-beat like the classic pass. This particular move is meant to focus attention to the deck and all of a sudden the outjogged card ends up on top of the deck. Its like a color change, where you want the spec to watch closely to catch the visual change. Thus angle sensitivity is indeed an issue for that move.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1647 Posts

Profile of Ross W
This move may or may not be total b***ocks: it's hard to tell.

But here's a clue: you get a box the size of a large-ish book, swanky embossed printing, magnetic flap fastening, oooh! Lovely box. And inside the box is....a DVD which teaches you how to do a pass.

That's funny.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 26, 2015, Ross W wrote:
This move may or may not be total b***ocks: it's hard to tell.

But here's a clue: you get a box the size of a large-ish book, swanky embossed printing, magnetic flap fastening, oooh! Lovely box. And inside the box is....a DVD which teaches you how to do a pass.

That's funny.

Isn't this similar to Triage ? ... Much expectation for gimmick when received the large packaging , turns out the packaging could be made much simpler and smaller ...

Oh the other hand , Shin.'s production with Cigma magic ... Cloud 9 and the recent Flash Device , much expectation for the product itself , turns out the packaging is so simple ... It should well have been made nicer and bigger ~

I don't get it ...

- Albert Einstein
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1417 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2015, Magician560 wrote:

Much expectation for gimmick when received the large packaging , turns out the packaging could be made much simpler and smaller ...

I 100% agree. These arrived at Merchant of Magic when I was there. I opened it and turned to Ben, Tim, and Mark and said 'This packaging is a stupid idea. It creates a moment of disappointment when the box is opened and all that is inside is a disc.. Why would they want peoples first impression to be disappintment..?'

The move taught is great though, but no thought to the user experience at the most exciting moment of getting a new magic trick..

From a dealer point of view, it's not smart too. It doubled the postage costs, turning it from a larger letter rate to a parcel rate.. grrrr Smile
SmaltrabTheAverage
View Profile
New user
Waiting for a positive comment from Pegasus for
59 Posts

Profile of SmaltrabTheAverage
Review:

Packaging - pointless packaging.

DVD - Nice production, explains the steps clearly from multiple angles at real time, and in slow motion. Goes through various uses of the shift.

When will this shift be used?
It COULD be used on the off-beat, but there are more effective controls to use in an offbeat, but the idea is that they see their card sticking out of the deck, a magical wave and it's back on the top. Really, this is to be used in an ambitious card routine more than anything.

Angles:
This is tough. I feel if you are a strolling, and you are performing to seated spectators, this would not get by. Ideally, you would be standing with your spectators standing over you, and no-one to the right of you. YOu can only tilt your hands for cover so much before the cards will spill. I have practised this with both hands (left and right handed) as with most sleights I do, as to not have to move around to get a good angle.

Is it what is advertised?
I feel let down a little bit. The ad copy is true, it's silent when performed correctly. There are no dupes, and it's an ordinary deck with no gimmicks. You will need quite large hands for this, you need a similar dexterity to that of a one-handed shuffle (maybe a little easier to do Selenium Shift). If you can't spread your hand enough, you'll just need to practice, if it's because your hands are too small, this may not be for you or you could use a bridge sized deck.
I feel let down because there was a reason it was filmed in a basement with a heavy shadow. Was it to add to the ambience? Maybe, but I highly suspect it was to make filming and angles easier.

I haven't tried this out at a gig yet, I will definitely do so, but the conditions need to be spot on.
The colour change is nice... is it better than an Erdnase? Well no. My wife-to-be said "that's nice, but what's the difference between that and the slidy-one you do? (Erdnase)" Other than doing a DL on top of the deck, nothing. The same happens in the eyes of the spectator, in my opinion.

Value for money: 6/10
Had it a few ££ cheaper because of an email offer. This would be better as a £9.99 download, then go and buy a box for £5.

Difficulty: 1 (breathing) to 10 (REALLY walking on water) - This is around a 6. If you can do a one-handed riffle shuffle this will be absolutely no problem.

Pros - it's silent. If you perform to a magician and get the angle spot on, they'll like it. For the real-world, it's just.... meh. Nice moves for the camera, so if you're doing a promo video, it would look incredible no doubt.

Cons- Angles. Can be done on the off-beat, but there's little point in it if your audience then don't appreciate it.
It fooled me watching the ad. But I know the mechanics behind getting a card to the top of the deck, a spectator doesn't. In their eyes this is no different from any other "card to the top" move.

Hope this helps.
lamagicienne
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of lamagicienne
Thanks for the review
<pre a=">" onmousemove=javascript:alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83));' b="<pre" >
Amrit
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of Amrit
Sorry for having to post in a topic where the last post was made last month but I had a question about this (I brought it recently) from those who already have it and wanted to ask if it's just me or do you need to have large hands to be able to pull the shift off? The actual principle is quite straight forward and with practice can be done very smoothly however the technique isn't the problem in my case it's more that I can't perform it correctly because it seems my hands are just too small to be able to make the correct moves. :/
SmaltrabTheAverage
View Profile
New user
Waiting for a positive comment from Pegasus for
59 Posts

Profile of SmaltrabTheAverage
It does require larger hands to do it comfortably, ideally. You could practice with bridge cards, just to get the mechanics down, then keep practising with the poker size.
Mejais
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Mejais
Ok iam late to the party.

I just got the shift and iam REALLY happy about it. The shift looks so *** good, even in a clean enviroment (no misdirection). The shift itself is not really THAT hard. If you can do a scissorcut you wont have problems with this. I watched it 1 hour ago and the shift with my left hand is no problem (i get it around 30% after one hour!). Bigger hands will give you an advantage, but are not required. That was my big concern the whole time: can I do the shift even with my small hands? Yes I can do it.

The sandwich routine looks really really good and is looking dam clean.

10/10
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
421 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, Ray Chelt wrote:
Get In !!!!

I've been looking for an effect for an age that I can do in a cellar accompanied by dramatic music...this looks like the real deal !!!

That is awesome
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Selenium Shift by Chris Severson & Shin Lim Presents (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL