The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Solution - The Easiest, Fastest Memorized Deck Ever - by Atlas Brookings and Raven Gairloch (53 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I'm finally sitting down to write this out, and thought you might enjoy a little teaser:

"There are some pretty cool things that you can do with a memorized deck. The only trouble is that you have to memorize 52 cards in 52 positions. Not only can that prove challenging, but it is incredibly time consuming and requires constant work to move that information from your short term to your long term memory.

Understandably, not many people make the effort.

But what if you could memorize the position of every card in a deck in a matter of minutes - And then recall that deck order for the rest of your life?

Well, you can.

How is this possible? Why does this work?

As with most things, the answer lies in a story:"

So there you go!

Memorized decks typically take a number forms, and (unsurprisingly) each has some sort of compromise. A deck that requires you to memorize it through brute force takes an awful lot of time to master. A deck formed from a set of rules or a formula typically can't be freely handled or displayed as the cards don't look mixed. Systems that allow the use of memory pegs are also difficult to learn as you often have to learn the peg system as well.

In an ideal world, there wouldn't be any compromise - You'd be able to quickly memorize a deck that could also be freely displayed and handled by a participant. You'd have your cake and eat it too.

I'm pleased to say that this is now possible with 'The Solution'.

The Solution is the deck that I referenced during my Penguin Live Lecture - a deck that you can memorize in minutes and openly fan and display. In fact, I'm sure I posted a picture of the face up deck on Twitter about six months back and it left everyone who saw it baffled.

Anyway, there you go - an update for everyone who has emailed me asking about The Solution specifically - I'll keep you posted as I work on this, but anticipate that it should be released around the start of October.

Best,

Atlas
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
Atlas ran through this with me over pizza at Blackpool in February. I'm totally rubbish where it comes to systems and numbers. Within 5 mins I was beginning to get the grasp of the System. With a bit more work I'm sure I could have this logged (but then Atlas steamed rolled into other impossible things and left me reeling). I'll look forward to reading the Solution in it's entirety.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Would this be a cyclical stack?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, tmoca wrote:

Nope - you often can't fan them or freely display them.

Best,

Atlas
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, Atlas wrote:
Quote:

Best,

Atlas

Thanks....so are you saying the stack would be apparent if viewed in full? I am confused by your statement.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
One of the most important parameters when building a MD is the effects that are built within the stack, and the possibility of altering the stack by special shuffles, allowing to do even more effects (gambling demonstrations, mentalism, card tricks, etc.), but not the speed and ease of memorizing the stack.

What is the real advantage of this "Solution" ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Will The Solution allow you to instantly know a named card's position and vice versa a named position's card? I use Aronson now and would like to know if there is any advantage to learning The Solution.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, Atlas wrote:
Quote:

Best,

Atlas

Sorry for the confusion - I was responding to the question in your post. No, this is not a cyclical stack like the Si Stebbins, as you often can't fan them for reasons anyone who has used that stack knows.

Best,

Atlas

Thanks....so are you saying the stack would be apparent if viewed in full? I am confused by your statement.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I think Atlas is saying the opposite. That The Solution looks like a random deck when it is spread - unlike a cyclical stack in which the stack is often apparent when spread face up.

I don't think that in built effects are important. I learnt Mnemonica and loved reading all of the in build effects but the only ones I've ever performed are ones which just require any memorised deck. I've also never shuffled into mnemonica or any of other other options.
But if in build effects are important then it is worth the effort of learning a stack which suits your needs. Otherwise an easier stack to remember is a great benefit.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Nice picture. Looks pretty random.

Does it allow you to know position of any named card and vice versa?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, doriancaudal wrote:
One of the most important parameters when building a MD is the effects that are built within the stack, and the possibility of altering the stack by special shuffles, allowing to do even more effects (gambling demonstrations, mentalism, card tricks, etc.), but not the speed and ease of memorizing the stack.

What is the real advantage of this "Solution" ?

Hi Dorian,

There are effects built into the Solution, but they are geared toward mentalism rather than magic. I'm not casting aspersions on magic, but it isn't my focus and so the MD wasn't built with that in mind. If you are looking for an MD that allows that sort of thing, I hear fantastic things about Tom Crosbie's deck.

The advantage inherent to The Solution is that it is quickly memorized and allows you to do most everything you could achieve with a stack, but with the added advantage that you know every card at every number and every number for every card, allowing for a whole slew of effects that are only possible with memorized decks.

Best,

Atlas
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, sjrw wrote:

Does it allow you to know position of any named card and vice versa?

Yes, it does - sorry for the confusion and you were correct in your explanation above.

Best,

Atlas
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18808 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I have only ever managed to remember one stack, one that lewis jones created...i recently managed to learn BCS too and its seemed to have stuck...

so my only real points of reference are those two (can't remember Lewis' one - it about Queen Kate if that helps) - how does it compare to either/both in regards to time spent learning it?

i struggle...i think the BCS took me three weeks or so to give you an idea...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The picture of the stack looks very random.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, IAIN wrote:
I have only ever managed to remember one stack, one that lewis jones created...i recently managed to learn BCS too and its seemed to have stuck...

so my only real points of reference are those two (can't remember Lewis' one - it about Queen Kate if that helps) - how does it compare to either/both in regards to time spent learning it?

i struggle...i think the BCS took me three weeks or so to give you an idea...

I'd say about 30 seconds to grasp the concept, you'll really get a feel for it over the next five minutes as you make up the deck and do the small amount of memorization required, and once you make up the deck a few times you should know it as it operates off a foundation that everyone already understands.

So, to answer your question, I'd say if you are really focused on it, between ten minutes and a half hour tops, but maybe a half hour to an hour if your father's eBay goals keep interrupting you Smile But this is something that when I've explained it to people, they instantly sort of go "Oh! Why hasn't this been done before?" And I shrug and say "I dunno."

Best,

Atlas
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3818 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I again and again wonder why this wrong idea is still around... Learning a position of a card. You do not, you never should, you will be slow, your mindset is wrong, most of the real good things you never won't be able to perform... You need your head free to do other things. So again: you learn a second secret identity for each card which is by accident a number from 1 to 52. End of the story. With this secret identity you can do whatever you want, even stack a deck from 1 to 52 Smile

I use a MD since more than 20 years, it took me may be 4 weeks an hour the day to learn it. That's it until today. Yes, I might "rehearse" it, every second or third day which takes about 2 minutes mental gymnastics each time the maximum, or may be 6 minutes per week... I do not even need a deck of cards, it is entirely mentally... I can do it wherever and whenever I wish to...

Could somebody explain to me why almost everyone in our art is too lazy to invest this little time to learn it? What should musicians think about us and our discipline in working and rehearsing? But I am happy to hear that there is again a new system (after so many attempts) which certainly needed more time to be invented and formulated than simply memorizing a deck of cards Smile ... If you follow Simon Aronson's ("A Stack to remember") idea and his system you are done latest after 4 weeks, and for ever. If you do not try it of course you will not believe it. And if you do not believe me, ask guys like Michael Close or Alain Nu... We didn't believe it until we did it. Now we know. 4 weeks of little discipline changed our state of mind completely. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18808 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, JanForster wrote:

Could somebody explain to me why almost everyone in our art is too lazy to invest this little time to learn it?

can only speak for myself...

i struggle with them, always have - can't quite say why... but to say its "too lazy" and that applies to everyone, is not entirely fair...

i am very dextrous, and very visually driven - I wouldn't say that just because someone can't sw*mi very well, is too lazy...it might be because of other factors...they could be using the wrong type for their thumb for instance...or applying too much pressure, all kinds of things... if they don't practice, then yes - they are lazy...but...

just because I can't memorise a deck of cards, doesn't mean that I haven't tried...i've tried mr berglas' suggestions, I've tried aronson's...i've spent a whole load of time trying, and I can't get it to stick...its not like I'm going to apologise for it, I tried very hard, I tried different methods - I put in the time and energy...it didn't work, no doubt it is my failing, but don't label it as lazy...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3818 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You are right... I simply could not imagine that Simon's system could fail if you really follow it including making up the training cards... When I learned it I had to make the decision to take it the way he proposes it or to translate it first into German (what I finally did) and therefore a bit individualizing it. Still only 4 weeks. As I have published his system with permission in German many years ago I know now quite a lot of guys who did it successfully.

I wish you luck, Iain, with Atlas' idea. Nevertheless, you should start with the right mindset (see above) for maximum use later on. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I have not seen the solution system. I use the 8k system and it works pretty well for what I use it for. However, if Atlas has devised a new system for memorising a deck, well I'm all ears. I love mnemonics and am very curious as to what this new system involves,

Regards,

Séa
I love post its Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Solution - The Easiest, Fastest Memorized Deck Ever - by Atlas Brookings and Raven Gairloch (53 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL