The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Solution - The Easiest, Fastest Memorized Deck Ever - by Atlas Brookings and Raven Gairloch (57 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Gairloch
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
11 Posts

Profile of Gairloch
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2015, doriancaudal wrote:
I am in the beginning of my reading... This is genius. A LOT of thinking has gone through this. Wonderful writing and explanations.

Let's continue Smile

Thanks Dorian, glad you are enjoying. We spent a lot of time working on both the system and the effects. Glad to hear you picked up on it! 😀
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2015, ddyment wrote:
It's straightforward enough to discover the card/position relationship for about 2/3 of the cards just by examining the photo...

I feel like this should really read "to discover A card/position relationship..." or am I wrong?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Lemniscate asked:
Quote:
I feel like this should really read "to discover A card/position relationship..." or am I wrong?

He is, of course, correct. There are almost always multiple ways to arrive at the same destination (though generally one is simpler than another).
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Just finished the book. I will post my review soon.

Very good material Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
(sorry for my bad english, I am french... nobody's perfect I know...)

First of all, let me say that this is a wonderful book.

The stack is really easy to master. Once the “rule” is known, and when the exceptions (rogue cards) are known, everything is good to go. Then, you have to order your cards in The Solution order a few times in a row, and everything is stick into your memory, unforgettable.

Once you know the stack, that’s nice because even if you don’t remember a card to position, or vice-versa, you can always refer to the mathematical rule and remember the card or the position. That is a really good point. The only downside is that few effects are specific to « The Solution », except an effect called « Go Figure », specifically designed for mentalists. Two cards are simply thought of by the spectator, who holds the cards in his hands, and the mentalist can then reveal them, after a game of truth/lie. Ok, it’s not THAT clean, there is a small downside that I won’t reveal here but you need an extra piece of information, which is justified by your patter.

More generally, the book is extremely well written, everything is extra clear, full of examples, explanations, re-examples, re-explanations, in order to make sure that we have understood everything. A lot of text, a lot of humour, summaries, etc. A pleasure to read because we understand the birth of this memorized deck, and the reasons for its actual order. I had not seen a text that clear and that pleasant to read in a long time.

Concerning the other effects, there are good, and doable with any stack :

Simple Peek and Reveal: a classic, but what makes the effect good is the text given by Atlas which is genius ! Any mentalist will love it.
The Blackpool ACAAN: quite ok, but traditional method that always works. The effect on the spectator is killer.
Beating the Spread: mix of prediction and ACAAN. Really nice, an ACAAN remastered for the mentalists.
DareDevil: a sort of OP performed by the mentalist, quite good.
Dead Cut Count: the human weight, classical, but efficient.
Equilibrium: well thought of routine, with a very clever peek. I will use it.
The 7-Eleven Run: some fishing, for a hard hitting effect.

To summarize, a wonderful book, clearly illustrated, with enjoyable texts and full of humour!
Nice presentations / texts / plots designed for the mentalists around there.
A easy-to-remember memorized deck, that is impossible to forget if you practice with it, and even after, because of the logic behind it ! A very nice principle hidden into “The Solution”.
Apart from that, few effects are specific to The Solution, that’s why it is only a stack interesting for mentalists and people not keen on poker demonstrations / cheating / magic effects / spelling effects / prediction effects that you can do with Aronson of Mnemonica for instance. I think The Solution is a very good compromise if you want to learn a memorized deck, rememberit for a long time, without the need to perform a lot of effects with it. All the effects using a memorized deck, but which are not stack-specific, will be doable with The Solution, and that’s nice.

Congrats Atlas and Raven !
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Again, it would be particularly helpful if those who review this book could let us know just how long it took them to memorize the stack (exception cards and all) to the point where they could do it reliably in public.

Incidentally, I have much (mostly good) to say about the value of algorithmic stacks in my essay on the topic of full-deck stacks.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2015, ddyment wrote:
Again, it would be particularly helpful if those who review this book could let us know just how long it took them to memorize the stack (exception cards and all) to the point where they could do it reliably in public.

Incidentally, I have much (mostly good) to say about the value of algorithmic stacks in my essay on the topic of full-deck stacks.

Quote:
On Sep 28, 2015, Steven Conner wrote:
Ok, yesterday I was watching a football game while reading Solution. I'm not exaggerating when I say it only took minutes to nail this system and by the end of the game, I was ready to rock and roll. In fact, I am performing it tonight at a texas holdum party. The first routine is really sneaky. I love your thinking. Atlas has brought several things to the table. One being able to get up and running quickly. Secondly, its more towards mentalism than just a MD deck stacked for specific routines of which there is nothing wrong with. Think how Gregory Wilson changed the game with Hundy 500. This can be a game changer. Secondly, an old concept used with this makes for a killer routine which is the first one. Reasons to buy, easy on the memory work, quick to learn, cost effective, and downright just good stuff. I don't have a horse in this race just that Atlas has done a good job.

Best

Steve

Hope this helps

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I would also be curious as to how this compares with more traditional and the well known stacks?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2015, ddyment wrote:

In about 24 hours I had the stack memorized. One more day for the excpetions, and not it's fine, I know the stack and feel confident about using it, despite it's not my "main" stack (Isis being the one I use).
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Steven - Your memorization time is pretty well in there with other times that have been reported back and that I've seen personally when I have taught how the Solution works.

Dorian - Thanks very much for your feedback. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the book. I will note, however, that the Blackpool ACAAN also does have an approach which is Solution specific as well.

Doug - I've said this before in this thread, but your website is a wealth of information and anyone would benefit from visiting it.

Best,

Atlas
CSK Sr
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
14 Posts

Profile of CSK Sr
Atlas,

The Karma Deck claims to be a "5 minute memorythmic deck system" that is very easy to learn. Are you able to give us an idea of how the Solution is easier and faster to learn?

Thanks,

Clark
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Clark,

I don't want to reveal too much about the Karma deck, nor do I want to suggest that it isn't a useful system. But it isn't a deck that I would ever show a participant face up.

There are lots of deck orders that are easily memorized - for instance: the Ace through King of Clubs, then Ace through King of Hearts, then Ace through King of Spades, then Ace through King of Diamonds. Some quick thinking would tell you which card was at a number and vice versa. But it isn't a deck you'd ever be able to let a participant handle.

The Solution is something that I have no qualms letting a participant handle, and is quick to memorize.

Best,

Atlas
CSK Sr
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
14 Posts

Profile of CSK Sr
Thanks, Atlas. That was helpful

Clark
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
In that respect how is it different than say Quickerstack? it looks random but there's some simple rule to associate the card with a number...
Lakewood, Ohio
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Dyment himself considers the QuickerStack 'middle ground' in terms of randomness. Being tetradistic, if you faro shuffle it twice, the end result will be thirteen four-of-a-kinds.

That does not apply to The Solution.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Gairloch
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
11 Posts

Profile of Gairloch
Dorian, glad you enjoyed it and thank you for a wonderful and thorough review!
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Has my copy been posted yet, I am eagerly awaiting its arrival?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Daren,

Yes - your copy has shipped.

Best,

Atlas
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Fab!!!!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Nicolino observed:
Quote:
Dyment himself considers the QuickerStack 'middle ground' in terms of randomness. Being tetradistic, if you faro shuffle it twice, the end result will be thirteen four-of-a-kinds.

Exactly. QuickerStack and The Solution take two quite different approaches to the creation of an algorithmic stack. The Solution is much like the Bart Harding stack, in that the goal was to create a sequence in which any ordering in completely undetectable. I think the Harding stack is more random in appearance, as it doesn't take too much inspection of The Solution to see that it's not a random sequence. But both are fine in the absence of quite careful inspection, and I suspect that The Solution is more easily learned. The downside of this approach is that nobody has ever figured out a way to do this without having a goodly number of cards that are exceptions to the algorithm (making it more difficult to acquire and easier to forget from lack of use).

QuickerStack was designed to be -- in addition to a memorized deck -- a more broadly useful tool for card work. To that end, I took the admonition of Alan Ackerman (a much more experienced card user than I ever expect to be), who believes that "the tetradistic stack is the strongest of all stacks." Others whom I admire that made exclusive use of tetradistic stacks include Chan Canasta, Stewart James, and Gene Anderson. A tetradistic stack can't be handed out for such careful examination, but looks very random during normal performance. And the obvious upside for QuickerStack is that every single card in the sequence uses the identical algorithm: there are no "exceptions" to the rule.

So, as with most things, there is no "best": classical mnemonics-based and rule-based stacks have their advantages as well. No solution does everything well. It's really important to figure out what your personal needs/goals happen to be, and choose a solution that best matches same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Solution - The Easiest, Fastest Memorized Deck Ever - by Atlas Brookings and Raven Gairloch (57 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL