The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does this stuff REALLY happen in elevators? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have read in numerous places online that pressing and holding DOOR CLOSE and FLOOR # elevator buttons together will bypass any other floors that were selected and take you directly to your chosen floor. Over the past year or so, I have tried this on an almost weekly basis, mostly in hotels, and I have NEVER had it work. I am inclined to think this is another urban myth, but I thought I'd toss it out to see if anyone has tried this with success.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It will depend upon the year and model of the elevator. At NIU in the towers in 1986 your answer is definitely yes it works.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Why would you do this? Just to screw other people patiently waiting for the elevator on different floors?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
That could be one reason, if you are of a selfish nature. Or perhaps when some kids press all the buttons before getting off the elevator. I am of a curious nature, which is why I have been trying it (for the record, I only do it when I am alone on the elevator, if that was meant as a personal attack).

It just occurred to me that maybe I am doing it wrong. When I test it, I have always pressed a random floor first, then the DOOR CLOSE/FLOOR combination. Maybe it only works if other floors are already chosen when you enter the elevator and then DOOR CLOSE/FLOOR combo is pressed. Hmmm ... something new to try.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Is this just your attempt to elevate the conversation in this forum? Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It wasn't a personal attack. I just have a curious nature and was wondering why someone would do such a thing if it wasn't an emergency.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
In that case I apologize for my assumption.

Other reasons I might think of are emergency situations. Maybe en EMT is trying to get to a higher floor and people are already on the elevator (although they might have pass keys).

Perhaps there is an emergency of another kind that supersedes someones need to stop at a particular floor, e.g. on the way to the hospital.

Maybe I press the wrong floor by mistake, so I want to bypass the one I pressed in error. Those are just a few, besides the ones I mentioned previously, that might warrant this action. But as I said, for me it's more idle curiosity if something like that actually works.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2015, Starrpower wrote:

I have read in numerous places online that pressing and holding DOOR CLOSE and FLOOR # elevator buttons together will bypass any other floors that were selected and take you directly to your chosen floor. Over the past year or so, I have tried this on an almost weekly basis, mostly in hotels, and I have NEVER had it work. I am inclined to think this is another urban myth, but I thought I'd toss it out to see if anyone has tried this with success.

I've read about variations of this but I also read that the 'trick' became too well known and so now elevators generally require a key to bypass floors. In other words, the trick only ever worked on older elevators and they have been phased out over the years.

This link from 2003 says pretty much what I just did on the subject:

http://www.methodshop.com/2003/02/elevator-hacking.shtml

So the trick you mentioned was already old and getting phased out over a decade ago.

It does list some other newer tricks to try, though.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
This is a great couple of sentences: "Many elevators disable the “Door Close” button. They are just placebos for impatient riders."
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Here's the answer to your question and everything else you never knew you wanted to know about elevators: https://youtu.be/rOzrJjdZDRQ
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I've seen it done by someone trying to get off work in a hurry. The elevator went straight to the main floor, but it could've been a coincidence. I'm not enough of a **** to try it myself.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
This is a great couple of sentences: "Many elevators disable the “Door Close” button. They are just placebos for impatient riders."

Honestly, the only elevators I know of that close the doors immediately when you press that button are the elevators in the DC Metro (subway). When you're on one of those and hit that button, the door starts closing before you can even remove your finger from the button. But since those only go from ground level to the subway itself, there are no floors to bypass. As for your original question, all I can tell you is that I once tested that theory in what I believe is the District's biggest government building (One Judiciary Square), this was maybe ten years ago, and it didn't work. Good thing, too, because that building is full of people who would have taken advantage of the trick.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I discovered another reason this might be useful ... maybe the most useful and practical, in fact. This week I was on a hotel elevator in the morning, when lots of people were checking out. By the 11th floor the car was jam packed, but it continued to stop EVERY FLOOR on the way down. Of course, nobody at any of those floors could get on, and therefore they had to press the call button again and start the whole process over. It would have been very helpful and efficient to be able to make it go directly to the ground floor (of course, I did not think to try it until after everyone got off. Duh!)
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Here's another reason why you might want that feature in an elevator ...

Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
. . . it continued to stop EVERY FLOOR on the way down.

What day of the week was it?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Thursday. Why do you ask?
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Because some elevators are programmed to stop on every floor on Saturdays.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
There's always Burnistoun:

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2015, 0pus wrote:
Because some elevators are programmed to stop on every floor on Saturdays.

No kidding? Only places with fewer floors, I would hope!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does this stuff REALLY happen in elevators? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL