The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fear the Walking Dead!? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Yeah, its acting. But in the case of women, I think it's also sexism. Not that I think it's wrong; entertainment is about creating whatever illusion you need.

There is a documentary about character actresses called "That gal ... who was in that thing". It's an interesting insight through the eyes of recognizable female character actors (this is a follow-up to "That guy ... who was in that thing".)
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I know I complained about how slow FTWD is (*) but that last episode was intense.

When the Mom called tophat, and then a few minutes later the kid landed on Boardwalk, I was like OMG!

(*) And I guess even some of the fans are starting to feel that way now:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/14/fea......ip-again
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2015, SIX wrote:

If you catch Fear the Walking dead tonight, its a totally new show. Though, the roots are the same it has no bearing the Walking Dead. This one is based in L.A at the very early stages of everything

Did folks notice how they time jumped 9 days ahead in the latest episode?

My understanding was that this show was supposed to show what happened in the weeks during which Rick Grimes was in his coma. So far they have fast forwarded us through about two weeks in total and showed nearly nothing of those awesome early stage events on-screen.

I guess nothing much actually happened in the early stages of everything after all. Nothing worth showing us, anyway.

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I think we are dealing with TV-time, and TV-politics. Ideally, this show would have tracked the time period RG was under exactly, but since that time period was vague, this prologue will probably be vague too. I still love it, and can't get enough. If I had a criticism, I wish they would have gone back farther, and explained how the "virus" actually came into being, and the fear/paranoia that surrounded that discovery.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Oz, I think that is why I never liked the original, and will probably not like this one either. I like to be told a story, not left to fend for myself (which is also why I did not find the ending of The Sopranos satisfying). This does not bother some folks, but I think a storyteller should tell a story. Silly me.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm not sure I understand you Starrpower. I'm pretty sure they ARE telling a story. (As is The Walking Dead)

Not explaining what caused the outbreak or how it all happened would be kind of like saying, "I don't like Star Trek cause, how did they get all those flying spaceships? It's never explained!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Oz, I think that is why I never liked the original, and will probably not like this one either. I like to be told a story, not left to fend for myself (which is also why I did not find the ending of The Sopranos satisfying). This does not bother some folks, but I think a storyteller should tell a story. Silly me.

I see your point. What happened, why did it happen and so forth. Not leave it to us to figure that part out. THAT is the story you want, prior to meeting others in the middle right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Saying "I like to be told a story" is different than saying, "That's not the story I want to be told"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I agree, but I think that was his point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I think it may have been overly optimistic to expect this show to explain HOW the dead rising bit happened, as I think it has never even been explained in the comic and I think Kirkman is on record as saying that the HOW is unimportant.

But I think the show absolutely could and should have shown us more of society breaking down. As it was, we got a riot over (apparent crowd perceived) police brutality and that was about it. Then we fast forwarded over what should have been a very interesting and exciting week and a half of events. How about showing us what the police and powers that be / politicians were doing to handle the outbreaks. What was happening behind the scenes. Who knew what?

FWIW, the Star Trek franchise actually made quite an effort to explain / show how various of the technologies worked and came about. True, a lot of it was techno-babble, but at least they tried.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2015, Starrpower wrote:

I see your point. What happened, why did it happen and so forth. Not leave it to us to figure that part out. THAT is the story you want, prior to meeting others in the middle right?

Pretty much, yeah. I am not trying to convince others to agree with me. I am just the type that is bothered by a lot of unknowns. Others are not, and that's fine. In fact, the original WD jumped right into it, and it's one of the most popular shows on television, so I am probably in the minority.

It's kind of funny in a way, because the thing that bothers me about "Better Call Saul" is that they are giving us the beginning, but I feel a little bugged that we know the ENDING! I suppose I am a bit illogical in that regard.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually I wanted to ask but didn't want to seem like I was busting your chops.

You like what you like. Enough said! LOL

For me more often than not charters drive the show and if I like it. So if examined I bet I am as inconsistent as you are.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Not to get too far of track, but I was watching 'The Birds" today and it bugs me, as well. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I guess I am simply too shallow a movie viewer.
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
I loved the first few seasons of TWD but the last couple have been mind numbing to the point of insulting. FTWD has less character development and absolutely no plot twists. It's 50/50 if I'll return to Walking Dead this season. My main problem is that everyone is constantly serious, no jokes being made, therefore no wit. I much prefer Z Nation,more realistic to how people would actually react in a desperate situation, at least to me.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2015, Wardy wrote:
I loved the first few seasons of TWD but the last couple have been mind numbing to the point of insulting. FTWD has less character development and absolutely no plot twists. It's 50/50 if I'll return to Walking Dead this season. My main problem is that everyone is constantly serious, no jokes being made, therefore no wit. I much prefer Z Nation,more realistic to how people would actually react in a desperate situation, at least to me.

That's funny cause my view is 180 degrees different. I think TWD has gotten better every season and that last season was easily the best.

I feel like FTWD, in the short time it's been on, has much more character development than TWD did in its first season which I think is one of the reasons people have complained about it being too slow.

While I agree that there are problems with the show, I think this last episode was great and really starts on the line of what moral choices people are going to be willing to make to survive and how they'll change over time. The fall of civilization is happening really, really fast so I'm still worried that next season will jump straight to season one of TWD but I'm also hopeful that maybe they'll be able to continue with the fall of civilization and make it different.

I agree with a review on Forbes that found the premise behind the 'Cobalt' plans far fetched. I also wish they had shown more of the degeneration of LA as others have mentioned. The story is told from the eyes of the main characters and we only know what they know. Since they've been locked up in their community, we've missed a lot of what happened 'out there'. I think the show would have been better if they had spent all 6 episodes building up to where we were at the start of episode 3. I suspect others would have found that too slow moving though.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think the story told from the point of view of those in charge might have been interesting.

Expecting these charecters to know how's she whys of this might be expecting a bit much.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Does anyone find the dialogue boring and flat? I think that's my main problem. Zombies are great to a certain point, but you need some refreshing wit and humour thrown in. Usually the more serious a situation, the more people tend to crack jokes and what-not.I'm not talking about Rodney Dangerfield type punch lines,just the type of funny quips people make in heavy situations.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea in reality in heavy situations people don't generally make those comments. Often cops have a galllows humor thing working but that is honed after years not weeks.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Not to get too far of track, but I was watching 'The Birds" today and it bugs me, as well. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I guess I am simply too shallow a movie viewer.

The Hitchcock classic is a metaphor and is a lot deeper than you seem to realize.

Superficially, though, it does have a thematic similarity to The Walking Dead.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes lots of Hitchcock was like that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fear the Walking Dead!? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL