The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rude Spectators and good opening? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mentalmagicgerman
Hello,

Sometimes, when Im performing in Nightclubs, some people react bad. Why does this happen?
Is this normal or is this my mistake?

If so, what do I need to change? ..there are people out there who make very rude statements and this is frustrating...

I usually go up to them and say: Hey, How are you. I practise a bit of my magic here to improve my skills. Do you have time for one minute?

thanks in advance
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You just have to accept some people don't enjoy magic or mentalism....

without seeing you "do it" - its hard to say anything else... Smile
I've asked to be banned
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
584 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
There may be many things you need to change, but the first thing is your opening line. No one wants to be told that you are not very good and that you want to take their time to practice on.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4469 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
When I worked nightclubs my opening line was usually something like, "Good evening, my name is Philemon Vanderbeck, and I've been hired by the management to provide some magical entertainment as a courtesy. Would you like to see something cool?" If I got an affirmative reaction, I would then do my opening effect. Based on the initial reaction, I would either end my set there, or do my full 10-minute table-hopping act. Most folks would say yes (because they were otherwise bored). Some folks would refuse, but they weren't rude about it. Also, I would never approach groups that were obviously already engaged in conversation or were clearly cruising . . . just the folks that looked like they had nothing better to do. Smile
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
What do you mean by "performing in night clubs?" Working a formal show in clubs with a stage or dance floor or table hopping in bars?

I ask because there are very few traditional night clubs any more, other than comedy clubs.

That said, to succeed in comedy clubs, night clubs, cruise ships, etc. you need to be an excellent entertainer no matter what your specialty is. And if you don't come across as a complete professional, drinking audiences will tend to eat you alive.
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
922 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Weird advice I know but... Read some books on Pick-up
Reader discretion is advised.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10172 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2015, mentalmagicgerman wrote:
Hello,

Sometimes, when Im performing in Nightclubs, some people react bad. Why does this happen?
Is this normal or is this my mistake?

Easy...quit working nightclubs and find markets more conducive to your style and audience preference.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Hopefully you tape yourself. Watch the tape critically. Invite both friends and other performers for a brutally honest feedback session and press them for the truth until you get past the "gee that was really good" stuff.

What you need to do is think very hard about every single thing you're doing for the first 30 seconds when you are onstage. How do you hold your body? What do you do to get their attention? What do you say? How do you carry yourself? Is there a solid introduction for you via tape or live intro?

Can they see you or are there flawed sightlines? Can they HEAR you? Are you starting the show with anything that they should care about...or something that involves them?

Nightclubs and comedy clubs can be utterly brutal -- but can also be great training grounds. I cut my teeth at comedy clubs for nearly a year when I was first learning and there is no tougher audience to crack.They are honest and completely self involved. Besides:everyone has bombed. Everyone. If you take the time to learn from the experience it won't be wasted.

I truly believe the audience forms its opinion of a performer within the first 30 seconds. It really is the most critical period of time in any show.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote the chapter called, "The Thirty Second Rule" in "The Artful Mentalism..."

The bottom line, though, is you're not going to learn to be an entertainer by reading books or by learning and buying new tricks. Effects aren't inherently entertaining, but a performer must be.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I get a strong vibe that the OP means approaching strangers in bars and nothing more. I don't think he's talking about being hired for tables or stage.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10172 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's why he needs to define what he means by performing in nightclubs. And also where he's from, there's a difference from the clubs and pubs of out UK friends and a nightclub showroom as Bob mentioned.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
My intuition says he's from Germany Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2015, Bill Cushman wrote:
I get a strong vibe that the OP means approaching strangers in bars and nothing more. I don't think he's talking about being hired for tables or stage.

It could very well be. But that is certainly not the impression conveyed when one says, "I am performing in nightclubs."

That's a LOT different from saying, "I go to nightclubs to try out effects on strangers."
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2015, Bill Cushman wrote:

It could very well be. But that is certainly not the impression conveyed when one says, "I am performing in nightclubs."

That's a LOT different from saying, "I go to nightclubs to try out effects on strangers."

I get that, but, "I practice a bit of my magic here to improve my skills," does seem consistent with trying out effects on strangers.
neoinwonderland
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of neoinwonderland
I think confidence is the key. If you are hired to do magic just open your act by introducing yourself, shaking hands and going straight into your act. Don't ask if they want to see something you will realise soon enough if they are interested or not. Also when they make a rude comment don't be afraid to have a laugh with them and perhaps even turn the tables around. The social interaction is more important than the tricks you perform.

If you are not hired to do magic I think a bar is a better place to find spectators to practice on, everyone is more relaxed. A lot of people in a club are all pumped up, excited and ready to party hard so if you really want to perform there make sure your act is like that as well (For me visual magic works a lot better in these situations, I tend to stay away from mental effects but then again I'm just a magician performing mental effects).

My advice is more aimed at performing magic but you were talking about showing people some magic so I assume it might be helpful to you.
neoinwonderland
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of neoinwonderland
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2015, David Thiel wrote:
Can they HEAR you?

Definitely my biggest obstacle when they are trying to take the place down by turning up the volume.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Alcohol play a HUGE part in how spectators react, regardless of the venue. With mentalism requiring a degree of mental investment, How can an impaired mind be suitable for mentalism? It's like trying to do metalism for children, they lack the cognitive skills to grasp what we do.

My only advice on the subject, is to come early to the gig and try to be one the first performers. That way hopefully the patrons won't be to impaired to enjoy the show.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12243 Posts

Profile of John C
If you could make a stepford audience you're problem would be solved. But alas, it cannot be done.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rude Spectators and good opening? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL