The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Traveling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darcy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Darcy
Hey guys, I live in Canada and am working on getting my doves across the Cananda U.S. boarder. Does anyone know if there is a possibility that they will absolutly not allow my birds over the boarder, I do somethings in my show which require my own doves. Ive heard of some new disease that has been discovered recently (I can't remember the name) but do you think that it may play a role in me getting my doves over?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!!

Darcy
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22583 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why don't you call the customs and border authorities in Canada and U.S. They will be up on the most recent laws governing this type of animal rules.

Even if you can take them you may have to have them inspected and quarantined for a time.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I know that Dave Womach (from the Café here) has to get paperwork completed by his vet before he takes his birds anywhere for a show (sometimes I think even across state lines, not just countries). He is performing for a cruise right now and probably unable to comment. I don't remember the exact details but he said it was a pain.

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
It really isn't that hard at all, I always get asked this question in my lectures, I'm not really sure where the big myth came from that it is difficult and a hassle to travel with doves. Into certain countries it can be extremely difficlut if even allowed. You just have to handle the situation very professionally and let them know you know what you're doing. My best recommendation is to get your vet papers from your vet. This basically means to take them to your vet and have them checked out for travel. They should know what you're talking about, they'll fill out a form and you'll be good to go. The vet form usually is good for only about a week or so, but the airline people never check that. I never bother talking to my department of agriculture, personally I think it is a waste of time and money because how are they really going to help you. They're too busy helping bears. Then you need to call your airline and let them know that you are carrying a pet in the cabin. DON'T TELL THEM WHAT IT IS UNLESS THEY ASK. If they do ask just say show birds, try to avoid answering how many you are taking with you if more than two. When you're done with the airline folks you shouldn't have to pay for the pet in cabin until you get to the airport and check in. This can be avoided too as long as you don't mention that you have birds with you. I wear my long leather trench coat so it is easy for me to just drape it accrosss my arm so it covers the carrier. If you need any more in detail description let me know but that's the jist of it. In the seven years I've been flying with my birds I've only been stopped like twice and asked to see papers and have to pay for them, and even when that happens its no big deal. Only like $50. I've found that most of these airline folks don't know the precedure when it comes to animals...especially doves in the cabin, etc.

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Keep em loaded until you get on, then claim you don’t know where they came from. Lol

It’s really no big deal usually.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5105 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I haven't had the problem either but it can happen. At a recent convention, Ice McDonald had to borrow birds because the airlines refused to let his travel.

I believe it's more of a security issue in recent years. Too bad we can't just point the birds in the right directions and let them fly on their own. They are birds after all. Smile
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Ice also doesn't use a hard sided carrier for his birds, he just puts them in a soft duffle bag and sends them through the x-ray machine. They probably did it as a safety reason for the birds as well. I remember seeing him with his birds when we were working magi-fest last year and he told me about how he takes his birds on. I really recommend getting a hard travel carrier for the birds and don't send them through the x-ray. Just think of the birds guys.

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5105 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Absolutely. I wasn't aware of how he carried his birds, just that he couldn't get them through the airport.
Where the magic begins
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I don’t think the X-ray would hurt the birds but I too suggest a hard travel carrier. Yes times has changed a lot in the last few years and we shouldn’t go to hard on the airport people when they do ask extra questions. It's been years since I traveled with birds but I don't think it's become a big deal yet. But as pointed out, it could be.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
I duno dude, they've uped the x-ray machines so they're like major sensitive now and I really don't think it is a good idea to put the birds in there. Even before they changed them, remember when you go to the dentist and they put the lead blanket on you, its for a reason and the doves don't have a lead blanket.
DANSPERRY.COM
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes, you could be right, I’m just assuming if it didn’t hurt Ice’s it might be ok. I would'nt risk it oh.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I never take birds to the airport anymore. There was a time when we literally just wrapped them in a small hank and stuck them in the pockets of a London Fog we carried on. No more!

Dave will tell you that I ship birds via the US Post Office. I’ve sent them to him that way. It’s cheap (about $20 for six doves), safe (I’ve never lost one in over 25 years), and fast (they will be there by 3 PM the next day). The special container I usually use is just a cardboard box that computer paper or Xerox paper comes in.

I do prefer that the birds be with me. Usually, if I am driving, they are with me. It is just plain smart to have backup birds. Lucy and I keep about a hundred at home. I don’t have my own planes anymore. Experience taught me that flying yourself just meant that you still needed another pilot to ferry the plane home after you had to rent a car and keep going. Weather is too much of a hassle. I enjoyed having my own planes but it was not a dependable system for business. They are toys. A good agent will save you a lot of travel problems. I have bought birds after I got to the location. It is not the same as having your regular doves with you. Most people will never even know the difference.

I have never had a problem from hotel or motel about my doves. They know I am a dove magician. The doves are in cat carriers and if they get noisy, I make them dark with a towel and they go to sleep. Do pad lock the cage doors. Doors will “pop” open when you are not looking. (That amazes this magician too. It never happens at home!) Apparently, there is a little magic in everyone.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
I can really use some help here. I am going to be traveling by air a few times in the near future. My concerns are:

1. I only flew once before and I had my props in large boxes and sent them FED EX about a week before I got to Vegas. They arrived just fine. (Although the Riviera Hotel charged me $60.00 to accept them.) Is this the best way (least expensive) to ship your large props?

2. Also, I flew the doves in the cargo hold but my 5 doves cost more to fly than my airline ticket did. Do you think I could fly them next day air from the post office? I will be going to New York City and Vegas. I live in Ohio.

I really could use some suggestions.

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5105 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dakota, overnight shipping throught the post office is still available. The shipping cost is about $25. I'm not sure about shipping them to a hotel though. If you had someone to ship them to, it would be a lot easier.

As for shipping your props, you can avoid the Hotel storage charges if you tell Fed Ex to hold the boxes at their terminal and you pick them up. They do this free of charge. Of course that all depends on whether or not you have a way of doing that.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dakota,

Dave is right again! He shipped birds to me just a few weeks ago. No problems and happy birds... That's hard to beat. (So is Dave!)

Many of the better hotels have a pet groomer on call if not in the building. They are usually very nice folks and will help you for free receiving both your birds and props. You can usually find a way to do something nice for them too. Sometimes they have a pet store nearby. Go do a little in-store magic for them and their customers. Get a photo using their animals (even gold fish or a bird sitting on your wand) and they will get some mileage from it. Sometimes the local news paper will write it up as a local story to help the groomer. Spreading smiles pays grand dividends.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Traveling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL