The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question: American-made vs foreign-made (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Not wanting to derail "that other thread," here's a new question...

A lot of businesses source out their fabrication to other countries because it's cheaper - even including transportation and customs - to have their products made this way. After all, businesses need to make a profit and therefore have to be very careful about pricing their products according to the market. Fabricating products here in the U.S. has become too expensive for some industries, due to things like OSHA, ADA, labor unions, health insurance, liability insurance, local regulations, ambulance chasers, and such.

So the question is, would you be willing to pay more for a product made in the U.S. than for the same product made overseas? Let's assume that the business complies with all regulations, that it requires prospective employees to prove that they are "legal" to work in the U.S., and that it pays a reasonable wage. And let's further assume that it's an everyday product, not a specialized or luxury item.

I would love to throw this question out to the general public, but let's start here.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
If the U.S. doesn't have a comparative advantage (an absolute advantage isn't necessary) in manufacturing certain items, then it shouldn't be manufacturing those items.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
If the U.S. doesn't have a comparative advantage (an absolute advantage isn't necessary) in manufacturing certain items, then it shouldn't be manufacturing those items.

Assuming that economic efficiency is the only relevant criterion.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
No.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, so I think I'm hearing that you would not pay more for a U.S.-made product if you feel that it shouldn't be made here.

I'm trying to phrase this question at a level that "a guy on the street" could answer. Smile Maybe I need to re-phrase it.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
If the product is better due to being produced in the US, yes. If there is a marginal price difference, I would choose the US product, although it's really hard to tell these days, and truthfully I don't specifically look for countries of manufacture. Some products are "Assembled" in the USA, but manufactured elsewhere.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I will support local agricultural product and lumber whenever possible.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9088 Posts

Profile of funsway
In theory, I would -- just as I will frequent a local, owner-operated restaurant over a less expensive chain as long as the food is reasonably comparable. I shop at a local hardware store even though they sometimes charge more than Home Depot, and I like to listen to the old-timers on stools by the counter.

But, I don't always believe a "made in America" ad. Often some of the assmebled items are manufactured elsewhere. Some cars are assembled in the USA but all profits got to Japan or Korea or even Denmark.

Henry Rifle claims that every item in their product is made in the USA. Too bad I am not in the market for one.

So, how does one know if the item is actually "American-made?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
There was some hubbub recently about the Apple factories in China: low wages, bad working conditions, and so forth. But people here still buy iPhones and other i's made there. So the question becomes, would you (the general public) be willing to support workers in this country by paying more for the exact same i-whatever? Ten percent more? Fifty percent? A hundred percent?
www.georgefledo.net

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Maybe I need to re-phrase it.

"Should Americans buy American?"

Yes. But not easy at all, given supply chains.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2015, George Ledo wrote:
Not wanting to derail "that other thread," here's a new question...

A lot of businesses source out their fabrication to other countries because it's cheaper - even including transportation and customs - to have their products made this way. After all, businesses need to make a profit and therefore have to be very careful about pricing their products according to the market. Fabricating products here in the U.S. has become too expensive for some industries, due to things like OSHA, ADA, labor unions, health insurance, liability insurance, local regulations, ambulance chasers, and such.

So the question is, would you be willing to pay more for a product made in the U.S. than for the same product made overseas? Let's assume that the business complies with all regulations, that it requires prospective employees to prove that they are "legal" to work in the U.S., and that it pays a reasonable wage. And let's further assume that it's an everyday product, not a specialized or luxury item.

I would love to throw this question out to the general public, but let's start here.

My answer to your question is no, a resonunding no. I used to buy American to be supportive when I was single, but once I had a family to support I dropped that habit fast.

I, like almost anyone else who makes his own living, already pay too much for the overbearing, out-of-control government whose ridiculous and endless regulations are squeezing the life out of American businesses to begin with. With what I have left, I go for best bang for the buck, and if that means everything I buy is made in China, Japan and Korea, that's the way it goes. I understand that such an attitude makes it harder for American business, but I have a family of five to feed and no amount of small gestures on my part is going to change anything. The more the government can get away with in terms of squeezing business, the more it's going to. If Americans were to suddenly ignore overseas products and buy only American, you'd just see more taxes and more regulations in response. Nothing is going to change for the better, ever, and I'm not going to pay extra for it anymore.

Further, while I support the right to unionize, I see less and less instances where I actually side with a union in labor disputes and I'm not going to pay more than I have to just to fund their retirement when I have my own to concern myself with. I haven't bought an American car since 1988 and I probably never will again. I am not concerned with the wages a company pays its employees unless it's the one that signs my checks, so this "reasonable wage" issue you mention doesn't come into it at all - I have never believed that a workweek of 40 hours should be a guarantee of a comfortable living to begin with (and don't get me started on the demands of fast food workers). A person's salary is not my business unless it's mine or my wife's, and I'm not willing to pay more just so that someone else gets what they deem a reasonable wage.

In terms of the economy, the government doesn't look out for business and it doesn't look out for us. All it does is grow bigger and squeeze harder, and as a result we work more and more for less and less. The only people who will look out for you are you and yours, so no matter how good your intentions are, we're past the point where we can make a difference, and bang for the buck should be your first priority. It's certainly mine. I can't stop the government from screwing me, but I am no longer going to screw myself just to be a nice supportive guy, as I did for years and years with no positive result. When I want to leave myself with less money, I donate to charties I know will do some good - at least that way I get something out of it.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
+1 for Roger The Shrubber.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
+2!!!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
FWIW, the United States has one of the most self-contained economies in the world. Only about 15% of its GDP is tied to the import of goods and services. Among developed nations, that figure is (or is about) the lowest. For many nations the corresponding figure is 40 to 80 percent.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This is getting interesting now. Interesting as in learning stuff I didn't know or didn't think about.

One of these days I'm going to look online for something that tells me how much in manufactured products was sold in the U.S. over the past few years (i.e., how much people spent), and what percentage of that was imported. Just manufactured products, not raw materials. I have to believe that somebody out there, somewhere, is getting paid to keep track of this stuff.

Now, what I'm going to with the information? Haven't got a clue. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Didn't Americans used to buy American? Canadians, too? Or were all those brands I saw in elementary and high school always made in China? Smile And what ever happened to "made in Taiwan" ?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
When I was a kid all the cheap crap was made in Japan. That was so common that they made a joke about it in Back To the Future.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes, I would prefer to buy American made products where possible, even if they're more.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm curious as to how much of stuff that is made in America is really made in America. If I buy, say, an American-made Fender guitar, is it truly 100% American-made? Every bolt, screw, wire, piece of wood, chemicals in the paint? Really? Maybe so, maybe not. But how much of a product--other than the brand--has to be American before it can be considered to be American-made?

It reminds me of the pre-war Gibson banjo I once saw for sale: the neck was not original, nor several of the nuts and bolts, nor the strings or head. Basically you would be buying a pot with an original tonering--the rest of the parts were modern replacement parts. They were asking over $100K--it being pre-war and all.

(For those of you who don't know how a banjo is made, an analogy would be to offer an original "Ferrari" consisting of an authentic chassis and engine, but with everything else being made in your local custom shop. It has the heart of a Ferrari, but the rest is a reproduction. Is it a Ferrari?)

So what does American-made even mean?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question: American-made vs foreign-made (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL