The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Survey to the public! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hello guys. I am interested in getting some market research from the public on what they are looking for in children's entertainers, particularly for birthday parties!
I'm a member of a new & growing group called Kids Entertainer Hub, and I'm a fellow magician.

I will conduct a SINGLE question survey for USA respondents aged between 25-45.
This will be the question:
My suggested multiple answer question would be:
"If you supposedly had a child's birthday party to host, what type of entertainment service would you be interested in hiring?"
1. Face painter
2. Jumping castle
3. Magician
4. Balloon sculptures
5. Caricature artist (cartoons)
6. Clown/juggler
7. None of the above a

You only get 7 possible choices. It is through google surveys. What a great way to research our market in comparison with other types of kids entertainers.

It costs 10c per response. So 1,000 responses will cost $100.

So Im looking for any magicians here to contribute? Here's the link:
http://de.gofund.me/kidsentertainerhub
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
And I will most certainly be sharing these results with you!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10169 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What age kids?
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I'll be labelling it as school age kids. Specifically 5-12 year olds.
And to the responders, I'll have to say if they don't have kids, list their imagined preferences
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Am I missing something here? You want a survey of the public's attitude, so you ask magicians to participate - we are not the public. This makes the results worthless. And it costs us all to participate? The link is to a gofundme page, not a survey page. This smells of a way to make a quick buck.

Or perhaps you are asking us to pay for your market research? Why is an Australian magician doing market research in America?

If I have got this wrong please explain more carefully what this is all about.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10169 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Lol, I thought the same thing.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I think Google Surveys charges HIM 10 cents per response. It does not cost anything to those being surveyed. I agree, though, we're not "the public."
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Sorry guys I may have confused you.

This is research, for OUR benefit as magicians. We get to view the results of the publics responses.
We see exactly where we stand as magicians against other kids entertainment services.
Google charges the account holder (me in this case), to ask the question. The public responds when they want to browse the internet. Google pops up the survey to them.
A good opportunity to research your kids magic party business.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
The next survey after this I have in mind is:
"If you were to hire a magician for your kids birthday party, which extra service would you be interested in purchasing?"
1. Goody bags with a magic trick
2. A large magic kit for the birthday child
3. Party games
4. Magic workshop (learn magic tricks)
5. Video of the party for memories
6. Disco with lights & fog
7. Other - please specify
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2015, CJRichard wrote:
I think Google Surveys charges HIM 10 cents per response. It does not cost anything to those being surveyed. I agree, though, we're not "the public."

Yes we aren't the public, we are the business owners who benefit from analysing the publics responses.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I still don't see how researching parent responses in the USA will benefit a magician in Australia.

If I need to know what my customers think I will ask them, not people on the other side of the world. I honestly don't see the benefit of this.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
I still don't see how researching parent responses in the USA will benefit a magician in Australia.

If I need to know what my customers think I will ask them, not people on the other side of the world. I honestly don't see the benefit of this.

Yeah it has it's limitations. Google doesn't have it available in Australia. But it's going to help us all with a general consensus of what people want, regardless of their area, but will be especially helpful for people in the USA on here.
And another reason why I want to do it is that I'm part of the Kids Entertainer Hub, My friends there have contributed of whom most are American. I'm happy to do these things for my community even if on the other side of the world.
Kasey Logan
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Kasey Logan
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2015, scottds80 wrote:

1. Face painter
2. Jumping castle
3. Magician
4. Balloon sculptures
5. Caricature artist (cartoons)
6. Clown/juggler
7. None of the above a

I put myself through college planning children's birthday parties and performing (not magic) in them for a local entertainment company. Figure this was 10 years ago but my clients were looking for in order of frequency:
1)Bounce Houses and Larger Inflatables
2) Face Painters/Airbrush Tattoo Artists
3) Clowns
4)Magicians
5)Carnival Games
6)Attendants (essentially baby sitters and equipment troubleshooters)
7) Characters
8) Yard Decorations

In fairness this list may be skewed because whenever I booked a party I tended to always up sell the face painting and the airbrush tattooing, because my sister and I got first dibs for all body art jobs and depending on the event it could mean some substantial tip money. Not sure if decade old data is helpful, but that's what I got.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Well, it's all done and 1000 respondents across USA (women 25-45 yrs) have listed their preferences.
Interesting that Jumping Castles have blown all other entertainers out of the water.
Why may this be so?
I suspect the parents can relax while the kids go crazy and burn energy.

Jumping castle
47.9% (+3.1 / -3.1)
Face painter
27.3% (+2.8 / -2.7)
Chara­cters (eg. Fairy, Super hero, Clown)
20.5% (+2.6 / -2.4)
Magician
18.8% (+2.5 / -2.3)
Balloon twister/­sculptors
16.3% (+2.4 / -2.2)
Caric­atures (cartoon artist)
14.6% (+2.3 / -2.1)
i have no children // none… (+4 more)
Kasey Logan
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Kasey Logan
Your results seem like what I ran into years ago. Bounce houses being so popular definitely does not surprise me, and face painters second seems right on track. I think a lot of the popularity of bounce houses might have to do with kids going to other kids parties and seeing one and wanting one for their's.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1196 Posts

Profile of danfreed
It drives me crazy that face painters are so popular. Kids like it, but it's boring compared to what we do and overly common, and boring compared to an entertaining balloonist or caricaturist. But moms can sometimes be convinced to make other decisions if you make a quick but convincing case for what you do. We also can out-entertain a bounce/slide to some extent, but again, we have to explain why. We can out-entertain most clowns, because most of them are lame, and same is often true for costume characters to an extent (or they are good but very limited in what they can do). But moms are overly focused on fitting a theme, whether that means hiring the best entertainment to fit the theme is another story, so moms need to be convinced when we get the chance to do it.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks for your thought Dan, that was useful. I also did a quick and cheap survey on why parents are more likely to hire a bouncy castle over live kids entertainers. After shifting through the results, I found these were the most common. By the way, they are open ended questions.
1. more fun
2. exercise/release of energy
3. Kids can entertain themselves.
4. Kids just love bouncy castles

All answers relate to these 3 results, in that order.
How can we as magicians compete with those? I would consider adding some energy burning party games to the package. Then you can be more competitive.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I used to offer everything, including bouncy castles. My experience was that magic/puppets were more popular than castles, because they were not weather dependent. Face painting was a distant third, balloons and characters on the bottom. Which is not what your survey shows.

There are so many local variables at play that I stand by what I said: a survey of Americans shows what Americans want, not what Irish, or Australians, or Mexicans, or Germans want.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1196 Posts

Profile of danfreed
To compete with bounces/slides, emphasize that they are very weather dependent, that you get calls on short notice to entertain when parents realize that bounces aren't going to work in bad weather(rain, windy) which is hard to predict, the weather can get so hot that indoor stuff is often a better choice, that your high energy very interactive show will get them laughing and entertained for 45 minutes straight - more than a bounce could, that kids often get bored with castles and only spend maybe 15-30 minutes total in them, that kids get hurt in them, that only so many kids should be in there at a time or they are unsafe (only a handful are entertained at a time), that the kids should be carefully supervised at all times in them so they are going to have to spend a lot of time supervising instead of enjoying/running the party, that many parent have a bounce AND a magician - it works out well, and that you can do game leading, balloons, etc
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Very good ideas posted. Thanks!

Here is the actual list of responses:

All (70)
fun
funnnn
7.1% (+8.5 / -4.1)
i wouldn't
4.3% (+7.6 / -2.8)
jumping castle
4.3% (+7.6 / -2.8)
cheaper
less expensive
2.9% (+7.0 / -2.1)
cost
price
2.9% (+7.0 / -2.1)
exercise
2.9% (+7.0 / -2.1)
live
2.9% (+7.0 / -2.1)
more fun
2.9% (+7.0 / -2.1)
more interactive
2.9% (+7.0 / -2.1)
no
2.9% (+7.0 / -2.1)
a jumping castle is more fun
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
age group
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
be
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
better exercise
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
boo
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
cheaper and more control over all interactions
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
easy fun
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
exercise is important
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
get the kids energy out
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
gun
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
i hate kids
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
i have no idea
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
i would not hire any of those
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
idk
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
it seems more special to have it we don't rent it only for own kids
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
it would keep the kids busy longer and help them use up some energy
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
it's a way to get out energy and fits not require kids to focus or wait in line for extended periods of time
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
it's fun
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
jump castle never get old
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
jumping castles are fun that's why
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
jumping is more fun
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
kids are more interested in it
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
kids can be entertained on their own time
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
kids can play when they want rather than all at once
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
kids can't entertain themselves
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
kids happiness
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
kids like free play more
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
kids like it better
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
kids would enjoy it more
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
less hassle
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
magician
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
money
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
more age appropriate
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
more fu
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
more fun for kids and active
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
more reliable
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
neither one
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
never
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
no kids but bouncy house way better
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
nono
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
physical exercise
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
they cost less
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
what's that
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
would be constant entertainment
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
yes
1.4% (+6.2 / -1.2)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Survey to the public! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL