The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wonderful vacation in Nova Scotia, but..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
....What the heck is happeng with gasoline out here? We've been traveling around the province for about a week- and-a-half (a lovely province, by the way, Nova Scotia),and started noticing gas stations in the less populated areas were "temporarily out of regular gas." Today is our last day before we take the Ferry out of Yarmouth back to Portland, ME, and so we drove northeast to Digby for a delicious lunch of Digby scallops; the best we've ever had.

It was about a ninety-kilometer trip out and then back again. When we headed back with a little less then half a tank we started to look for gas to top it off. But no gas was to be found; anywhere.

Every station we stopped for fuel had similar signs of being "temporarily out of gas." Thankfully we had enough to get back to Yarmouth and the same situation was found there. There's no gas out here! We finally found a station that had only premium left and was soon to be out of that. There were lines at the pumps and folks are very upset about something, yet when I asked the proprietors of each station all I got was that they only sell the gas and don't know why the shortages.

Nothing seemed to be passing the smell test, so when we got back to the hotel and I did some Googling, I discovered that what the locals are calling the "big oil monopoly" out in western Canada (Imperial) are squeezing the folks in Nova Scotia (and I don't know why) despite that oil prices are down 40%. Apparently two Imperial oil tankers were "delayed" for two days.

Not sure what's going on here but I havent seen gas lines like this since back in the early seventies. One guy at the station we finally found gas at was filling his truck and several separate containers. A biker in from Halifax said there was no gas there either.

I still smell a rat. And I think it's big oil. But some locals are also saying that the Government isn't helping much either.

Curious as to the opinions of my neighbors to the north.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
If only tommy were here to explain it to us!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
What, has he been booted?

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Apparantly
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scoti.......3209180

Gas shortage in N.S. caused by late arrival of 2 Imperial ships
Many stations completely out of fuel
CBC News Posted: Aug 30, 2015 4:01 PM AT Last Updated: Aug 30, 2015 4:17 PM AT
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2015, balducci wrote:

I saw the story, my question is why were the two tankers delayed for two days when folks were running out of gas in Nova Scotia? Not great for tourism either. Seems like someone is playing hardball with the NS locals.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
My guess: Oil prices down 40%. What do you do to keep prices up? Hold back supplies. That's what happens with a monopoly.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
But why just Nova Scotia?

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2015, balducci wrote:

I saw the story, my question is why were the two tankers delayed for two days when folks were running out of gas in Nova Scotia?

I don't understand your question(s) / comment(s).

Presumably it only (or mainly) affected NS because that is the only (or main) region served by the Dartmouth terminal.

And the shortage was (apparently) caused by the delay of fuel, not vice versa. I mean, presumably they did not delay the fuel because people were running out. Rather, people were running out because of the delay.

I know the comments at the CBC article are bringing up all sorts of conspiracy theories but if everything is back to normal in a few days maybe it really was as simple as a transportation problem.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
From what I'm reading from Canadian news sources and hearing from NS locals here, they think they're being shafted. Just sayin'.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:

From what I'm reading from Canadian news sources and hearing from NS locals here, they think they're being shafted. Just sayin'.

Yes, but I challenge you to find anyone, anywhere, anytime in Canada who does not think he / she is being shafted when it comes to gas prices.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Balducci, I don't really care; it's not my place to challenge or debate anything. I'm telling you what I'm hearing here...in Nova Scotia. Period, end of story.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
It was a rhetorical "challenge", I did not mean for you to actually conduct a door to door search.

Smile

Like yourself, I'm just describing how it is. In my experience, most people here mostly always think they are being shafted by oil and gas companies.

As I said a few posts back, if the problem in NS resolves itself in a few days then I suspect it really was just an honest short term supply issue. Just MHO.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
And I hope you are right. Smile

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Well, what is the alternative? N.S. is a liberal run province. Imperial Oil, the company that owns that Dartmouth terminal, has ties to my nation's conservative Prime Minister.

I would hate to think that the conservatives are just playing politics with oil to hurt nice people in a province that did not vote for them.

Perhaps I am too naive, too trusting.

Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'm not taking sides on liberals vs. conservatives; I believe all the parties in America are corrupt and politics is all about power and money. I might be wrong, but I'm betting the same holds true in Canada. I'm sincere when I say that I'm merely curious as to what this oil situation is all about. I don't think I have the whole story and that's all I'm interested in. I've not been this frustrated in finding gas for my car since the seventies. There is nothing political in what I'm getting at here.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Do they serve nouvelle haggis there?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Do they serve nouvelle haggis there?

We didn't see any Bill, and even if we did, we wouldn't have tried it. I'm a bold cuisine sampler, but some things I just won't do, and that's one of them. I'm thinkin' it's probly' offal. Smile

But I meant it when I said the Digby scallops were the best.

It's a beautiful province though and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The tide swings up at Burntcoat Head Park are one of the wonders of the world in IMHO.

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Next time, make a trip to the west coast of Canada. Last week, there were a few stations on the lower mainland (BC) offering gas for 10 cents a litre as part of a promotion (limited time, specific locations). Those gas stations had line-ups for an entirely different reason.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2183882/shell-......tations/

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Yes Donald, the west coast is definitely on our bucket list! Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wonderful vacation in Nova Scotia, but..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL