The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth on Penn and Teller (60 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2015, luckyram wrote:

I get what you're saying but this forum is not the place for "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" type conversation. ...unfortunately, his performance on Fool Us was dissapointing.

Really?

Again and finally here, "Good Journey to you." Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Actually, David DID fool them on the three coin vanish, which was his intent all along, and probably fooled most of the magicians watching that as well.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
I loved his performance!
(Thanks for posting it here,..
letting me know about it.)
I watched it twice,
with four "friends in a Café".,..
they were not only baffed,.
they were interested thru-out(!).

For me, thinking about it all,
three things stuck....
1. Performing LIVE, under the lights of National TV,..
(,under the scrutiny of peers,..
crowned 'Expert',...
wowwww!)
2. That Three Coin Vanish,...
as well, as so much other,;
that looked so easy and natural(!).
I thought for a minute or two,...
"I could have done that."(!!!)
(the occasional shakey hands,..
made it all the more natural,
for me,.. I liked the tension.
I honestly believe he was 'simply' nervous.
It's so nice know,
"David Roth IS human!"
,..I never really believed it,...before(!) )
3. When he said,
"..that was all original material."
,....wooooww.
So few, know,..
can really feel
WHAT that deeply means(!).
I would have stood up, right there,
.....and given him the keys to my Bentley.
,if I had a Bentley.
....and the Taxi-fare to get home..
cmm.

Once again,
thanks for letting me know about this.
It was an honour to watch.
Gallagher Hayes
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
he may not even know he might not be performing as well as he may think.

Highly doubtful. David is a conscientious guy and we are our own worst critics. We can know, and this goes beyond coin effects, he stepped up and put himself out there, and that takes guts.
Shaky hands tell one thing- the guy's humanity is intact, and he's brave enough to let us see it. Critique that, if you will, and suggest one is "past his prime". I say you'll be fooling yourself in the grand scheme.
luckyram
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of luckyram
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2015, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:

Highly doubtful. David is a conscientious guy and we are our own worst critics. We can know, and this goes beyond coin effects, he stepped up and put himself out there, and that takes guts.
Shaky hands tell one thing- the guy's humanity is intact, and he's brave enough to let us see it. Critique that, if you will, and suggest one is "past his prime". I say you'll be fooling yourself in the grand scheme.

That's not exactly what I meant....I hinted at he may be suffering from some degenerative or cognitive issues that are affecting his performance and he may not be able to be aware of it.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Hint all you like. I understand your point and I still think you're fooling you.

Thank you, David Roth. Good to see you. Smile
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2015, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:

So, David Roth's hands were shaking last night. So many different things cause shaky hands; I hesitate to list all of them. So, I won't! Go look 'em up yourself. (Speaking only for myself, my occasionally shaky hands are a side effect of one of the drugs that I take to stay alive.)

Why did David's hands shake? Since I don't know David personally, my answer is simple: I have no idea. And it isn't my place to speculate.

But, in the grand scheme of things, it's not important. This wasn't one of his best performances, but nonetheless David is one of the great masters of our art. It was great to see him treated with the respect and honor he deserves. (Thanks Penn and Teller for staying classy on this one.)
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
When Roth is not up to par, he's still great.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"Fool Us is our attempt to give you as fully as possible a sense of doing magic live." Teller

http://articles.philly.com/2015-07-05/ne......c-tricks

"Teller, who is steeped in the history of prestidigitation and has written books on the subject, says magic remains a 'primitive handmade art form' whose success is inextricably linked to a magician's live performance.

'The sets and lighting of a play may be entertaining, but what you go to see are flesh-and-blood people sharing something in their hearts with you,'"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/......2829519/

"'It's the sharing of one's heart that matters,' says Penn."
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Luckyram, considering you're posting the same information on the Genii Forum too, sure looks like some kind of agenda.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
At first I thought Luckyram may have been a simple troll trying to get a rise out of some specific people. I did check his profile and see he has at least been a member for 9 "silent" years. Therefore I cannot give any credence to someone who has contributed NOTHING for 9 years then suddenly he is the expert on the man behind the curtain and what"WE" as a collective should be focusing on (negatively) with his 5 derogatory posts. I am not sorry... I won't go there. David Roth IS THE CORNERSTONE Of modern coin magic (no disrespect to the other VIP'S who frequent the forum). David is a gentleman and an outstanding performer. So what if he shook a bit. There are too many things that could cause that. Sure, we all knew the routine from the beginning but as he stated "they would know most, but the last 3 vanishes should fool them" which I would believe meant he did his homework and threw in some new move he has kept to himself as of yet. (Let's hope, a new release from David would be great). You certainly have a right to your opinion, you are just not going to find many who share it here. Often times the best advice/criticism is the one you keep to yourself. I too wish to give mad props to P&T for the class they show to the trailblazers of "Our Art".
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
luckyram
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of luckyram
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2015, Tom G wrote:
Luckyram, considering you're posting the same information on the Genii Forum too, sure looks like some kind of agenda.

You're kidding, right?? Yes, I also posted on the Genii board as I saw an active discussion about it (one I did not start by the way...nor did I start the one here) and chose to comment there as well as here as there were some who were questioning how his performance went.

What agenda could I possibly have?...I've already said that Mr. Roth was one of, if not the best, coin magicians ever and it saddened me to address his problematic performance. I was never rude or insulting about it...just stating the facts as they were evident and as I saw them. Quite frankly, some of the responses here and on the other board seem to be almost a blind type of fervent allegiance where woe betide anyone dares to bring up some valid point or criticisms lest they be jumped on and accused of being some kind of non-loyalist who should be silenced for stating a valid, but unpopular, view and should be shamed into silence....1984 anyone???

Anyway....the other board was updated recently with a response from Mr. Richard Kaufman who knows Mr. Roth & his magic better than anyone...he also noticed issues with his performance and attributed it to nervousness and too fast a pace which may have thrown Mr. Roth off his game. That should be the final word on it and I must say I'm happy that if that was the problem, it would be the most desirable reason as opposed to others.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Our fervent allegiance sees quite clearly, I daresay.
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
What the hell guys. It's alarming how fast you all just turn on someone, go through his history, and condemn him for a simple observation. It really bothers me how quick y'all are to judge.

Lay down your guns...
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
David Roth invented modern coin magic...

His magic is a beautiful dance of hands, silver and wonder.

Not to mention, in my personal, subjective opinion, his trick the Tuning Fork is the greatest close up trick I've ever seen. The man did slight of hand with sound!!

Lucyram needs to speak about the man as if he was in the room. Because here in the Magic Café... He is.

No hiding behind anonymity of the internet.

--Frank Military
Los Angeles
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
David.... I am not sure if you visit the Café... Just want to say... It was a pleasure to watch you do what you do best. Our magical time in Manila will never be forgotten. Boy did we have a blast huh! Mike... kindly send my love to David. The Manila Famiglia and the rest miss you guys! Oh.. the most important thing I wanted to say... Thank you for the MAGIC! I would not be half the magician I am if not for you! God bless you my friends... David and Mike!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Amen to that, Rannie!

Jim
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I've seen some of the biggest names in magic get shakey hands when on TV. Just watch closely on Lettermans magic week and you'll see it's not just Mr Roth. That they can go on TV and perform a wonderfully engaging and entertaining routine is what makes them so good at what they do.

Well done David Roth, you did a fantastic job. And as Marion said, it was really nice to see Penn and Teller acknowledge him and pay him the respect that he deserves so well.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Not going to lie, My stomach dropped when I saw his hands shaking that much. And the dropped coin.... Before I get flamed, let me voice my train of thought through that routine.

IT started off with. OMG, David Roth. My FIRST magic video ever. On VHS.......This. is. going. to. be. good. He is really going to eat P&T alive.

Oh, Woah. He is doing his original material, The same exact material I did to get into the castle, and some of the very first routines I ever learned in magic. - Pause - Wait a sec, I have pretty much forgotten about these routines, but, holly nuts, These are "still" really good. (It made me sort of re-rememer that its not about finding new magic all the time, and that I have enough material that I know, and can be proud of performing RIGNT NOW, and have always had it)

Dropped coin - Woah, he is really nervous. Im socked, if DAVID F'ING ROTH, THE coin magician himself, famous in our community. Years of practice and perfroming experiance, and yet, he is still nervous as I was doing my first show at age 13.

Vanishes the coins - WTF? How? Woah...... Is that part of his released material? I sure as hell don't remember that.

Ending - BS, they weren't fooled.... Oh, yeah, its TV. Who cares, Great for him. His effects have really come full circle, an entire lifetime of magic and effects, thought of, created, released, used, mastered, aged, and then performed again by the creator himself. (Does that make sense)

I know that I cant really convey the emotion behind the words I wrote, but two things happened internally.

1. I have to admit, I was really thrown by his performance and his nerves (at first), I was like, Really? If David freaking Roth is fumbling after all his years, Whats that mean for someone like me?

2. I answered my own question, Fumbling aside, People love it, People love him, P&T loved it, most importantly, the audience was still amazed.... and I can't really describe how or why, but watching that really sort of, revitalized me. I have been so hard on myself and my magic over the years, but for some reason, watching him made me tell myself to ease up a bit. You can be great, and still be human at the same time. - Which is refreshing after being jaded by all the Youtube, editing, recording and re-recording for perfect looking effects every time "era" we seem to be in.

Im going to brush up on my Roth material tomorrow now haha. I forgot just how amazing it is. And I think THAT was really the whole concept behind his entire performance (or maybe at least part of it), and of course the vanishes, WOW. I remember now why I started as a coin guy.

Not really sure why I floated away from it over the years.

I am so glad I stumbled over this post, and got to watch DR. He still is to this day the first magician I admired and one of my top favorite magicians all together.

PS. Today I tried to brush up on some material I hadn't touched in years, I ended up perfroming for someone at my dentist office today, the entire time I had a bit of a shake to my hands, and I have been beating myself up about it all day, I mean, to the point of depression. So, seeing that even David shook, made me hate myself less in a way. hahahaa

Anyway, you get the point.

Either way, CONGRATS TO DAVID. Glad to see him on the show.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
SmileandNod, I'll suggest it's luckyram who's quick to judge, and in my opinion, misguided in his approach, and perhaps ill prepared for the response he was about to receive. I don't carry a gun. I don't need one. So I'll not be laying one down on a table at the Magic Café, thank you very much.

For those unable to view the original clip, please note that the youtube video appears to be at a slower speed, so provides a distorted view.

David's segment from the original is posted at facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAMcompe......activity (you'll need to login and join the group, I suppose.) Here you can see David up to speed. Looks great.

Thanks again, David. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth on Penn and Teller (60 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL