The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Magic Café's Search... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I love this forum...I would say it is my favorite magic forum on the net. My only real complaint is the search tool...it has to many requirements that need to be met. It is near impossible to search ALL FORUMS, without some error popping up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this...Do you guys ever plan on editing it a bit.

Thanks!
~joeKing
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Joe,

The search engine used to have no restrictions. However, due to the large number of people using the Café and the search engines, the Café was slowing down more and more. Since this is an all volunteer site, we had to do something to maintain the speed, since buying a new faster larger server was (and still is) a wish to be realized.

So limitations were imposed on the search engine to help speed up the Café (which it did). This is an inconvience for all of us, but one that we believe we can live with for the short (hopefully) term.

After a few months, I have learned to work around the limitations and it really isn't much of a problem too often. Hope this answers your question, if you have any others, please contact a staff member.

Steven
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Hey Steve,

Guess I spoke without thinking. Thanks for clearing this up, I completely understand. I just get a little aggrivated when I post up a thread and some tells me there have been many topics on it before, and when I search I can never find anything.

Anyways, thanks again.

Joe
~joeKing
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
Quote:
On 2004-02-22 11:32, Steven Steele wrote:
... for the short (hopefully) term.

That pretty much covers it. Once final testing for the new PM system is complete and it is installed, I'll begin work on changing the search functions. Planned: dropping the requirement to select a second option when searching by key word and showing all matches for the search terms by a multiple-page result set. However, lost in those changes will be the option to search by "exact phrase", and partial text matches (only whole word matches will be shown). All other features will be retained or improved, including the ability to view only the matched post.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Sounds great...when can we expect it?

No hurry, just curious.
~joeKing
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Quote:
On 2004-02-22 13:41, Gene wrote:
However, lost in those changes will be the option to search by "exact phrase", and partial text matches (only whole word matches will be shown). All other features will be retained or improved, including the ability to view only the matched post.

I use 'exact phrase' function frequently.
'Any word' and 'all the words' most often produce an abundance of out of context results.
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
I agree with you Blindbo, but hopefully the whole word only matches will help reduce that. It will strip common words too, so it won't be matching "the", "that", etc. That should help as well.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Magic Café's Search... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL