We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » WOW Reasoning.. (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Koolmagic114
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
For anyone still doing WOW.. which I have just taken out of the draw recently. How do you justify or introduce the sleeve? And reasoning for have one to put 'your' card into the sleeve.. I think I am thinking to hard on it and just having some brain farts. Curious what some or your ideas or reasoning(s) were.

Thanks for the help in advance Smile
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Justify it the same way David Copperfield justifies the fancy boxes and other stuff he needs to present his magic. Focus on a fun and entertaining routine and the audience wont care why you have a sleeve for the card...hopefully they remember the magical moment and more importantly YOU as a performer before they have a chance to analyze your props.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Thanks a Rocky... Of course I did this all the time when I first got it and never really had a problem or anyone caring about it. I think I am just being a bit more critical of what I am doing and I am in the mindset of.. " well if I could do REAL magic" I wouldn't have to put it in a sleeve to change it. My audience management is pretty good. But I still keep the plain sleeve on hand just in case.

Still curious to hear from others as well.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.magicianslair.com
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of magicthree
You can say you don't want to be accused of any sleight of hand or switching of a card for another so I am going to put it in this sleeve where it can be seen at all times. This is a very good question and would like to hear other replies also.
JH5magic
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of JH5magic
When I first saw the WOW gimmick it reminded me of the pattern on the front of many microwave oven doors, so I introduced it as a protective device along these lines: “Have you ever noticed the protective coating on the front of microwave oven doors…. That is to protect us from micro waves. This is a micro-magic protective device made of the same substance. Magic can be powerful so I’ll use this sleeve for our own protection…”

I enjoy light-hearted presentations so I continue along these lines tongue in cheek.

Have fun with it!
John
robersontucker
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
4 Posts

Profile of robersontucker
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, JH5magic wrote:
When I first saw the WOW gimmick it reminded me of the pattern on the front of many microwave oven doors, so I introduced it as a protective device along these lines: “Have you ever noticed the protective coating on the front of microwave oven doors…. That is to protect us from micro waves. This is a micro-magic protective device made of the same substance. Magic can be powerful so I’ll use this sleeve for our own protection…”

I enjoy light-hearted presentations so I continue along these lines tongue in cheek.

Have fun with it!
John

I really like this justification! Great idea.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1224 Posts

Profile of imgic
If working corporate gigs you can introduce it as a new technology the R&D department is working on.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Koolmagic114
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
All are brilliant.. I very glad some others jumped in here. Hoping it wasn't going to be a dead category. I "personally" like the idea of -- the magic is so strong.. Also the fun and light hearted news of the microwave screen. All though, again.. All are fantastic. My presentation is very simple. But I guess.. I must make it mysterious enough no one has cared. So I guess I am doing something right. For Some reason lately I have been over thinking my magic.
Eddy

www.magicianslair.com
lumagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lumagic
It is not about justification, magic is about entertainment, so just perform and enjoy. Wow is super visual trick
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
I agree, lumagic. If the WOW sleeve can be incorporated into a preformance, I would say go for it. Part of good incorporation has to do with justification. Most of the incorporation has to do with theme and flow, however. The sleeve will not match all performance styles and/or characters. For me, personally, the WOW gimmick thematically doesn't make much sense, no matter the justification. For a more sporadic chaotic style, putting a card into a sleeve just doesn't match the off the cuff or fast paced card manipulations that come before it. The awkward utilization of the sleeve could break the flow of a performance or not make sense in the rest of the context. That being said, theme and rhythm needs to be taken into consideration for any prop or effect. Before thinking of justification I would think of timing and whether or not the prop makes sense in the first place. Visual effects are aesthetically beautiful, but I would not sacrifice the beauty of the rhythm of performance for a single visual change.
dylanxtay
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
116 Posts

Profile of dylanxtay
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, JH5magic wrote:

Have fun with it!
John

WOW.

I'm loving this explanation/ justification as to introduce the gimmick.

WOW Indeed. Thanks man.
Dylan Tay
Magician & Cardist

Welcome to #theBLACKseries, a collection of my Cardistry work.
Only at: http://www.instagram.com/dylanxtaylor
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
I've been using the "WOW" gimmick since its release. I've heard of most of these other patter lines and justifications...most of which didn't fit my style. The routine that I have been using for many years came out of the need of having a routine that would play well for a group of people, I came up with this routine during my street busking nights in Waikiki.
Basically, the routine breaks down to this:

I invite a spectator to join me...and I have this person select a card, which they sign and draw a doodle of some sort on the face. I show this card to the audience and then proceed to lose the card back into the deck.
I inform the spectator that the reason why I had them select a card and sign a card is to show them something else. I state, "You see...not only am I a close up magician...I'm also an inventor. I like to invent things! Now you all may be familiar with the old Polaroid cameras...you know..where you take a picture the film spits out the front and it develops right away?" I then proceed to take the "WOW" gimmick out of my bi-fold wallet and show it around...so that everyone can see that it is translucent. I state, "This is my new invention...it is the worlds smallest, lightest...most thinnest digital camera to date! Not only can I take a digital photo of whatever I like...I can take a photo of your thoughts!"
"Now, in order to make this camera work...we're going to need some film...so, we'll use a playing card to serve as the film for the camera." I turn over a card from the top of the deck..showing an indifferent card. This card is placed into the "camera". Everyone can see the face of this card through the front. I turn to the spectator. "Now, once the film is inserted into the camera...I can take a photo of anything that I want...including your thoughts."
I instruct the spectator to concentrate on their card...and on the count of three say "cheese". I hold the "camera" towards them as if I'm holding a camera in order to take their photo. On "3" I act as if I snapped a photo..."Got it!".
"Now in order to develop the film...just like the old Polaroid's...all I have to do is shake it." I hold the "camera" in front of me...so that everyone can clearly see the image of the indifferent card. I continue to gently rock the camera up and down and start the change. "If you look close...you just might see something start to develop."
The indifferent cards develops into the signed card...which is then given to the spectator as a souvenir.
This is the basic idea of the routine and patter...although in actual performance...depending on the crowd...I have more bits of business thrown in and the patter is a little more polished.
I have used this particular patter for many, many years...everyone has a camera either on them or on their phone...which everyone can relate to.
Feel free to use this patter if you choose to do so. If anyone is interested in discussing my full routine and the moves that go with it...you can PM me. All that I ask is that you are genuinely interested in learning how to utilize the "WOW" gimmick via my presentation...and will give it a try. I'd rather not spend a lot of time giving out my presentation to people who like to collect other people's ideas. Aloha and thanks for reading this far!

-Kekoa
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Kekoa, you had me reading to the end of your post. Great presentation! John
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
Kanawati,

Thank you for reading my post. I also forgot to mention the ending patter after the change. Once the change has registered, I state..."Now, it actually looks like a digital copy of (Spectator's name) card...it even looks like it has his signature...and his little doodle as well. Although, there is one more unique feature about this camera that I haven't told you all about yet. You see...not only can it take digital photo's of your thoughts...but it can also print!
I then proceed to pull out the "printed" card slowly...a little bit at a time and place the gimmick on the table. I hand the spectator the card as a souvenir. I then ask everyone to give my spectator a round of applause for helping out. I have never had anyone grab at or even care to look at the gimmick at this point. As the spectator returns to his seat or standing position...I just put the gimmick back into my bi-fold wallet and continue on with the rest of the show.
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Kekoa, I never thought of presenting the gimmick that way! I love technology effects and effects that 'claim' to use technology, even if it's obviously just in the patter.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4406 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I sometimes get them to let me take a photo of the wrong card with their phone whilst they are holding it out,when they look at the photo I have taken on their phone they freak out because it has changed into their card.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, Koolmagic114 wrote:
All are brilliant.. I very glad some others jumped in here. Hoping it wasn't going to be a dead category. I "personally" like the idea of -- the magic is so strong.. Also the fun and light hearted news of the microwave screen. All though, again.. All are fantastic. My presentation is very simple. But I guess.. I must make it mysterious enough no one has cared. So I guess I am doing something right. For Some reason lately I have been over thinking my magic.

I like this one, too.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
That is a great idea.Thanks for the inspiration.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Paul Gertner had a neat prsensation. I'm a military officer who has work to do with DARPA, so I used this as a form of advanced technology to read the mind of an " enemy agent".
Koolmagic114
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
HI Kekoa,

I absolutely love that routine. I am the one that also actually started this post in question. And again like someone else up top pointed out doing all the sleight-of-hand I do and then doing another card trick where had to pull out this strange looking thing kind of broke up my pace and just felt out of place. So I hadn't use the WOW sleeve quite some time. And was kind of at a loss for thoughts I think I was trying to hard so I really couldn't come up with anything that justified and made sense. I love your reasoning in team behind the whole thing in the premise of it. Totally fantastic!!

Thank you for sharing that in this forum with everybody else being your pet routine for so long.
Eddy
Eddy

www.magicianslair.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » WOW Reasoning.. (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL