The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Researching Grandfather-in-law's Shotgun (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hello, all ~

In going through my father-in-law's estate, we found an old shotgun. I'm doing some snooping around, and thought some here might be a good resource for possible information.

- My grandfather-in-law was born in 1906 and passed in 1960. Perhaps this info, combined with the model name, would be of help.

- It was made and sold by Montgomery Ward!

- It has a beautiful wood stock.

- On the outside of the receiver (above the trigger) is engraved "Western Field DeLuxe". Below that is "Montgomery Ward & Co." To the right is engraved a dog in the brush, pointing.

- It is a 12 gauge

- "Model 50"

- On the barrel, close to the receiver, it says, "Browning, PA" and below that, "12 GA PROOF TESTED".

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get more info would be much appreciated!

TIA ~

- Serial number is a bit below 2,200
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Here is one answer I saw (from Googling):

(I'm Googling, but if you have any information from personal experience/knowledge, please feel free to share, thanks!)

The Montgomery Ward Model 50 was made by Savage and is a Savage/Stevens Model 620, one of a series of utility-grade slide-action shotguns. They are chambered for a variety of gauges and with various barrel lengths and chokes and are all priced about the same. They are "shooters," and not really collector items.

Retail values:

Excellent: $225
Very Good: $150
Good: $125
Fair: $100
Poor: $75
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Hey Mark. Can you post a picture?

Is this it?

found at an expired auction
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
John, you just did - that is it! For a moment, I wondered how you got photos of "our" shotgun Smile

From the little I've read so far, they are inexpensive, but fairly well-regarded. Everything is the same, right down to the dog Smile

Oddly enough, the first place I posted for information was here at The Magic Café Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Edit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Researching Grandfather-in-law's Shotgun (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL